Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Football 2023

Inveigle

All American
I just took a look at Scout.com and Elko has 29 commitments with 27 3-Star guys for 2023. And Duke is ranked 40th overall. Not bad for the ACC Coach of The Year 2022.

Elko reeled in a very nice class given the state Cutcliffe left the program in. I think he has the potential to recruit at a top 25-30 level going forward, which we never consistently reached under Cut (only 2016 was close).

9505346E-93EF-46E5-A16D-7A8062D7C13A.jpeg
Our 2023 schedule above. This is a much tougher slate than 2022, but a very exciting schedule too. Some thoughts below:

UConn - 0-2 all time against them from the Roof era, would be an awful game to lose.
Lafayette - Really weird opponent for our FCS game. Should be a laugher.
Northwestern - We‘ve won 4 straight against the Wildcats, who were utterly putrid in 2022. Should make it 5 next year.
Clemson & Notre Dame - signature win opportunities at Wade. Last beat Clemson in 2004. Would love to get GameDay in Durham for the first time for one of these.
Pitt - 7 Straight losses to the Panthers, who we last beat at home in 1965. This feels like the year to finally knock this annoying fucking team off.
UNC - Would very much like to finally beat the Heels for the first time since 2018, especially after the robbery this year.
UVA - Have not won in Charlottesville since 2013. The Hoos should be bad again.
NC State - The Wolfpack come to Wade for the first time since 2013. Tough but winnable matchup.
Wake - They return to Durham for the second year in a row in a scheduling quirk. Should be very beatable.
FSU - 0-21 all time against the Noles. This is the holy grail. I don’t think much of their coach. Will be hard in Tallahassee, but I feel we have a shot if Elko brings his A game.
Louisville - 0-3 all time vs the Cards. Another game I’d really love to have. Sadly they upgraded at HC by bringing in Jeff Brohm from Purdue.

I feel like 6-6 (3-5) should be the floor with this schedule. It‘s possible we could have a better team overall, but a worse record in 2023. Though if we have more close game luck, 8-9 wins are definitely achievable with this coaching staff.

That is one tough schedule.

UNC
Notre Dame
Clemson
FSU

I'm greedy, but I really want to grab more than one win in this group.

Duke football in the modern era really hasn't had a signature win to put them on the map nationally, this schedule gives us some opportunities.

That is one tough schedule.

UNC
Notre Dame
Clemson
FSU

I'm greedy, but I really want to grab more than one win in this group.

Duke football in the modern era really hasn't had a signature win to put them on the map nationally, this schedule gives us some opportunities.

To this point, our last top 10 win was in 1989 vs #7 Clemson. We also beat #13 UVA in 1994, and under Cut #14 VT in 2013 and #15 UNC in 2016. The Georgia Tech team we blasted in Atlanta in 2014 finished ranked #8, but was only #22 when we played them. Knocking off a bona-fide top 10 team would be massive for the program.

This whole thread is honestly part of why I enjoy following Duke football. While basketball will always be my #1, and I still want to see more banners hung at Cameron, I’ve seen us win everything there is to win in it. In football, we haven’t beaten a top 10 team or won an ACC title in my lifetime. Haven’t defeated Pitt at home in nearly 60 years. Have never beaten FSU or Louisville. Gameday has never come to Durham. While I thoroughly enjoyed the pre-jump pass Cutcliffe era, and will never make light of what he accomplished at Duke, there’s still plenty we have left to achieve for the first time in a generation or ever.

Momentum is everything in football and especially season to season and recruit by recruit. Build on this season’s success and carry it over to next season. It can be done at Duke. As long as Elko maintains stability in his staff we should be fine.

I count 5 high profile games on that schedule: ND, Clemson, State, @UNC, @FSU. 5! I know that Duke football is never about instant gratification but they really can’t afford to go 0-5 in those games. One win from that bunch is a must, two or more would be really nice.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom