Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Football 2023

Really excited for Clemson on Labor Day to kick off 2023. Wake on a Thursday night is cool too. That stretch of 4/5 on the road will be tough, but I like getting UNC in November as I feel they tend to fade later in the year.

So it seems that we are guaranteed a good national TV spot for Clemson, ND and Wake (it's a Thursday). Pretty important to play well in those and win at least one. I'd say the overall record is less important than how Duke handles the spotlight, but obvs 12-0 is the goal.

Edit: all three of those games at home too. the theme this year needs to be getting fans back to WW and building a rapport with them.

Wade was packed for UNC last fall, and we did win 5/6 at home (would’ve been 6/6 with competent refs), our best record at Wade since 1994. Last year’s home schedule wasn’t particularly exciting aside from the Heels game. 2023 has no fewer than four games for which the stands should be fairly full - Clemson, ND, State, and Wake. I’d love to establish a legitimate home field advantage under Elko. That’s one thing we were never able to achieve under Cutcliffe, never finishing better than 2-2 in ACC home games under him, even in the peak years. We also had so many “hyped up home night game“ disasters in his last 5 years, it was almost comical.

Apparently we got six commits for the 2024 class today. Some 4 stars in there. Elko is doing a fantastic job on the trail.

If we can string together 8-9 wins against this schedule this year, the floodgates might really open going forward. Not sure if we can achieve it or not, but consistently recruiting at a peak Stanford level would be a game changer for this program.

I'd be surprised if we got to a bowl this year. Schedule is brutal. Feels like FSU is on the rise again, Clemson will obviously be tough, Notre Dame is elite plus there's NCSU and UNC. Winning 2 or 3 of those would be a major accomplishment for the program.

Should definitely beat Lafayette, Northwestern, UConn and UVA. We’ll find 2 more wins somewhere.

I've said this for years but in order to get respect Duke has to beat someone they have no business beating. If that happens it could certainly be a HUGE deal for this Duke squad. And we can't lose to anyone we are expected to beat either. This schedule could easily be a set back or a catapult.

4 tickets to Duke-Clemson were going for about $500 on SeatGeek

So I bought a quartet of season tickets for $700. DDMF.

Anyone got a good tailgate we can join?

Where would a Duke win vs. Clemson rank all time anyways? I get they aren't as highly ranked as the last few years but I can't remember the last time we beat an opponent in the top fifteen nationally. Was Cut about to pull that off? Got close with some wins vs UNC and maybe Tech/ND/Miami but iirc they were closer to the end of the poll

Where would a Duke win vs. Clemson rank all time anyways? I get they aren't as highly ranked as the last few years but I can't remember the last time we beat an opponent in the top fifteen nationally. Was Cut about to pull that off? Got close with some wins vs UNC and maybe Tech/ND/Miami but iirc they were closer to the end of the poll

Cutcliffe beat #14 VT in 2013 and #15 UNC in 2016. Also blasted GT, who was ranked like #20 at the time, but finished the year in the top 10 in 2014.

Our last top 10 win was vs Clemson in 1989, and beating them this year would be right up there with that one as our best scalp in the last 50+ years. We had many earlier on in the golden eras of Wade and Murray, of course.

ETA: I’d say the closest Cut came to knocking off a bona fide top 10 team was Louisville with Lamar Jackson in 2016. Lost by 10 but it was a 3 point game deep into the fourth. One of his last A+ coaching efforts.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom