Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

With Obi and Vrank as the current practice bodies, we need the last practice body to be a smaller guy. This is fine, IMO. I doubt K expects this guy to ever contribute in a game besides the advanced strategies of hacking in favorable situations. Frankly, if this means K is thinking about using up all 3 fouls in the single bonus going forward, I'm all for it.

I'm going to assume he's improved since that 2014 vid if he's getting a look from Duke. He played on the Australian team in the FIBA U19 tournament (same one where Giles and Tatum played for the U.S., but the two teams never played each other), and seemed to play okay. Third on the team in scoring, shot okay, about 4 rebounds per game as a guard.

The leading scorer on Australia was guard Dejan Vasiljevic, who just committed to Miami. Deng Gak, a 7'0" Sudanese-born kid who now plays at Luol Deng's high school (class of 2017) was also on the squad, but didn't stand out.

Here's his 2015 highlight video. A less-polished, lower scoring Luke Kennard:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, I don't like the Kennard comp after seeing this vid. Can't see Kennard pulling off that dunk at 0:58.

This guy's less fluid and maybe less of a shooter, but more physical and stronger. A forward. Crashes the boards pretty well, 6'6" 215. Athleticism is fine, hops above average, everything else maybe only average. Maybe more like Donny Marshall? Jared Dudley? Some other old BC player?

If we're going to have 11th-13th spot project players on the roster, i'd much much much much much rather have some completely offensively inept Louisville foreign/african tall defensive shotblocking center than some random slow, unathletic wing player. At least the former has a chance to possibly be the best on the team at his speciality one day, whereas even if the SUWP pans out, in all likelihood his best skills still are overshadowed by the stars of the team.

You guys need to get over this Greg Newton thing and recruit a Canadian to be your 13th man.

Not really a fan of tying up another scholarship on a player who will never contribute. Would rather just have walk-ons if we need "bodies."

Good news. Duke is going after another recruit who has a good chance of playing in competitive basketball games.

Bad news: he will see Duke lose and UNC win. (Not even sure who UNC is playing or if they're playing.)

Unfortunate name, but interesting prospect for Duke. #32 on Scout. PF/SF tweener. Canada's next big prospect. Same high school and same coaching as Derryck Thornton (Findlay Prep). Scout lists top strength as midrange game, with weaknesses being 3pt range and post scoring. YouTube video shows a versatile passer/defender/rebounder with a long wingspan who isn't explosive enough to interest the NBA.

Another 2016 SG/SF? This must mean Allen to NBA, Kennard transferring, and Matt Jones entering senior assisted living.

Can I pretty please have a 5th year PG or a multiyear rebounding big in 2016?

eta I like his video more than Jack White's.

etaa Watched three more videos. I like him, he's a big 6'8", strong, physical and he appears to shoot the 3 very well. Terrible handles, though.

Handle seems fine to me, athletically not that impressive, basically Josh Hairston level.
Skillwise a lot better than that.

Not happy about 7 Nations Army constantly played or on signs throughout Cameron next year.

Alarmingly unathletic.

3gk1nDW.jpg

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back