Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

This made me crack up

Last edited by a moderator:
Are kids from the regular student body now too nerdy to find enough walkons for the team these days?

rome8180 said:
Obi, Vrank, White, Robinson.

Great use of scholarships.

Robinson is a walk-on who is allowed to use an open scholarship this year. Not the same as the others.

Yeah, I get that. And I get that his dad can pay. My general point stands, though I don't blame the staff for taking a flyer on Obi given his freshman numbers.

See, I'd blame them for Obi more than some of the others. It's almost like they hadn't watched him play, and just saw the numbers. At least Vrankovic can get up and down the floor faster and elevate for a dunk.

Anyway, I'm not hating the White offer yet. I may next year once it turns out he's not good enough to ever play. I thought he looked fine in the U19 videos, though.

I'd be upset about this if Duke basketball were an elite program. It's a middle of the pack ACC program right now. People expecting better than Jack Black at Duke are in denial.

Give K credit - he is not afraid. I am. Wendell Moore is apparently The One for Duke vs. UNC in the 2019 class. Knox and Jairus Hamilton will probably be choosing between the two schools in 2017 and 2018, respectively. They're all about to see Duke get slaughtered.

Corey Evans likens Moore to Winslow. I'm sold.

Corey Evans, managing editor at HoopSeen.com, said of Moore, "Wendell is the ideal Duke student-athlete recruit. He displays a well-rounded skillset, versatility, is tough but athletic, and has the will to get better. He's so much like Justise Winslow."

This was probably fine for recruiting purposes. K showed he has infinite leash on his guards and wings to create on offense. Anyone who watches what Thornton does on offense must be dreaming of the possibilities at Duke. "I can do whatever the fuck I want with K as my coach."

Jairus Hamilton article: http://www.hoopseen.com/index.php/n...-and-duke-make-their-pitch-to-jairus-hamilton

Coach K just likes to fuck with Roy

North Carolina hosted the 6-foot-7 forward the day after offering him at the end of January and then again for the first UNC-Duke meeting in Chapel Hill a few weeks later. “It was amazing,” Hamilton told HoopSeen. “I liked the school a lot and the players and coaches were great. It’s an amazing place.”

Not to be outdone by UNC, its arch-enemy, the Duke Blue Devils, hosted Hamilton this past weekend for the meeting between the two winning programs. "I thought it went great," the Team Loaded product said. "It is an amazing place and the atmosphere was great."

While no offer was given out on the visit, Coach K and his staff remain high only the elite sophomore. "They are highly interested in me and are coming down soon to see me work out," Hamilton added.

Closing the books on Tony Parker, former high priority big man recruit for Duke:

In four seasons at UCLA, Parker won one conference tournament championship and lost in Sweet Sixteen twice. In Parker's best season, as a senior, UCLA lost in the first round of the conference tournament and did not make the NCAA Tournament. UCLA lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament in Parker's freshman season. Over the past four seasons, including 2015-16, Duke has won zero conference tournament championships and lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament once, while winning the national championship once, losing in the Elite Eight once and losing in the Sweet Sixteen once.

Over Parker's career, UCLA compiled a 90-50 overall record, winning 64% of its games. Over the same span, Duke compiled a 116-29 overall record, winning 79% of its games.

During Parker's best season, he had a 22.0 PER, 3.1 BPM and .131 WS/40. During Marshall Plume's most valuable season, his redshirt senior season, Plumlee had a 20.8 PER, 10.2 BPM and .170 WS/40. The closest Duke comparison in 2015-16 for Parker's overall value is junior Matt Jones, who has a 14.1 PER, 6.1 BPM and .112 WS/40.

Parker is not listed on the DraftExpress top 100 big board. He is ranked #70 among seniors.

Bottom line: Duke having Parker as a senior this season would be about as valuable as adding a second Matt Jones to the team this season. Having Parker as a junior last season would have been extremely unlikely to have improved the results of the 2014-15 team. Having Parker as a sophomore may have provided Duke with a much-needed additional inside presence to win its first round game in the NCAA Tournament. Parker was loathsome as a basketball player and probably also as a human being as a freshman, with numbers suggesting that he would fall somewhere between the current versions of Sean Obi and Antonio Vrankovic as a player.

The Duke coaching staff prioritized both Mitch McGary and Parker over Amile Jefferson. Jefferson likely would not be at Duke had either McGary or Parker committed to Duke. McGary left Michigan after two seasons, pressured to declare for the NBA draft due to being suspended for one year by the NCAA over marijuana use.

Some "Crystal Ball" 247 updates:

Mohamed Bamba: 11 predictions, all pick Duke. 100%

Wendell Carter: 15 predictions, 100% Duke.

Kevin Knox: 8 predictions, 62% Duke, 38% Florida State

Gary Trent JR: 14 predictions, 86% Duke, 14% Ohio State

I assume this is McDonald's All-America stuff. Duke and Kentucky are now 50/50 for Bolden on 247's crystal ball. However, a Duke guy (Adam Rowe) and a Kentucky guy both tabbed Duke today, so it sure seems like Duke is going to get this guy who is apparently capable of using both hands around the basket.

This is refreshing. Duke did not have a big man with functional hands for most of last season.

A high motor big man who has good hands, rebounds, blocks shots and can finish layups/dunks? Sounds perfect for Duke, but the conclusion remains: do not want.

Note that Daniels has only complimented 4 McD AA players in his tweets so far: Bolden twice, Markelle Fultz (Washington commit; very high OAD on draft boards) and Zach Collins (Gonzaga commit).

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom