Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

Does anyone know what the deal is with Charles Bediako? If we can't land Banchero, I would LOVE to get a commitment from Bediako.

7'0 big man out of Canada. He has a big frame and appears very athletic. If we're going to recruit multi-year big men, getting athletic, long, and offensively raw big men like Mark Williams and Bediako works because they should hopefully fit K's defensive scheme with rim protection.
We all know Canadians over promise and under deliver. Just ask Toronto’s wife

Corey Evans said:
While many believe Max Christie is a Duke lean, I am not willing to go that far just yet. Sure, the Blue Devils are squarely in the mix, but defeating some of the local programs along with a few East Coast outfits will not be easy.

Villanova and Virginia will need a guard in the 2021 class and, thanks to Christie’s backcourt versatility and strong intangibles, the fit is there. Northwestern, where his mother played college basketball, will also have a chance, as will Illinois. Michigan, Ohio State and Purdue are three others to monitor, while Michigan State is a dark horse contender. The Spartans don’t have many holes to fill in the 2021 class which is why they could place an extra emphasis on Christie.

Corey Evans said:
While many believe Max Christie is a Duke lean, I am not willing to go that far just yet. Sure, the Blue Devils are squarely in the mix, but defeating some of the local programs along with a few East Coast outfits will not be easy.

Villanova and Virginia will need a guard in the 2021 class and, thanks to Christie’s backcourt versatility and strong intangibles, the fit is there. Northwestern, where his mother played college basketball, will also have a chance, as will Illinois. Michigan, Ohio State and Purdue are three others to monitor, while Michigan State is a dark horse contender. The Spartans don’t have many holes to fill in the 2021 class which is why they could place an extra emphasis on Christie.

While I get the overall point that we may not be leading for Christie, Evans seems like he's throwing shit against a wall here. He listed 7 teams as serious contenders besides Duke.

A little on Chandler.

And Banchero.

I trust the people behind the scenes at Duke to help set up a visit which outperforms everyone else in conducting an engaging and cool virtual visit, so at least we have that going for us. (I’m being serious).

Can we please target DJ Carton? He's a freshman transfer out of Ohio State. He averaged 24 minutes per game, 10.4ppg, 3 assists and 2.6 turnovers per game. He shot 76% from the FT line and he shot 40% from 3. He would have to sit one which would be great for his development and than he can start at PG in 2021 or we can run a 2PG line-up with him and Chandler and Carton can rip 3's.

Does anyone think AJ Griffin may be capable of playing the 2? I'm trying to work out potential line-ups on the 21-22 team and I honestly just don't see any scenario in which Patrick Baldwin can play the 4. He is a great shooter but he literally does anything else. He's only projected for the 4 because he's 6'9. Over the summer he averaged 4.5 rebounds which is quite frankly awful in high school for a 6'9 top 10 prospect. He should be accidentally grabbing that many rebounds in a game. He's not even a playmaker like Johnson possesses- over the summer he averaged 1.6 assists and 1.3 turnovers per game. I love his shooting but unless he develops I think he's honestly a terrible fit at the 4. He can't play there.

The only way it would work is if Griffin could play the 2. He's 6'6/6'7 and very strong and athletic. I think he's a good shooter but the sample size on his shooting is very small so it's difficult to gauge.

Paolo Banchero is the guy I want more than anyone. I think he's better than Patrick Baldwin or Kuminga. He's an elite rebounder and he's actually a playmaker, averaging 4 assists and 2.7 turnovers per game. Pretty good for a 6'9 big man. He shot 29% from 3 but he shot 77% from the FT line. This is the best player in the class and the guy most prepared to be an "elite" production guy in college. I get Nassir Little vibes from Kuminga- he's a high turnover guy that doesn't shoot well but he's definitely an athletic and physical beast. Although he might be more skilled than Little. And Baldwin just does absolutely nothing valuable on the floor besides be tall and hit 3's. Which is fine, but not at the 4.

Why not play Griffin at the 4? Even though he is smaller than Baldwin, he may be better suited for that spot.

I'm uncertain why 3 or 4 or even any other position means anything at this point. You simply need the right blend of shooting/defense/playmaking and maybe rebounding (the least important IMO) out of five guys. If they are all 6'6", or 6' - 6'11" why does it matter? Get 7-8 who in aggregate give you enough combinations and skills to win.

Call Baldwin anything you want. Just make sure you have enough playmaking and rebounding on the court with him and let him fuck up the opposing defense.

That's all true, but as long as other teams continue to play traditionally sized players, it can be hard to construct a good defense if you're too much smaller at key positions. The question is whether the losses are offset by gains on the other end.

Occasionally you can find a Draymond/Winslow type freak who is capable of defending players much bigger than him. Really high level small ball hinges on those guys.

Occasionally you can find a Draymond/Winslow type freak who is capable of defending players much bigger than him. Really high level small ball hinges on those guys.

This is completely true, although I'd add that Johnson and Coleman both seem like candidates to be guys who can do this.

In the videos I’ve seen of AJ Griffin, he looks pretty big. He’ll probably come into college 6-7 220/230 lbs. I’m not really worried about who will play the 4. He also averaged 9 rpg for his high school this season.

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom