Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Exhibition Games Thread

Despite defensive issues, I think Bagley has exceeded my expectations so far. I was worried he would be an outlier in terms of flow of the offense and a ball stopper as SM mentioned. Didn’t feel like he forced anything yesterday and played fairly unselfishly. He will get most of his points on putbacks and between him and Carter I feel better about our lack of shooting.

Even on d even though his awareness wasn’t great, I felt like he made effort and has the athleticism to help mask some of his mistakes.

If our bigs defend at the usual Duke level, at least Bagley has the length and athleticism to sometimes recover from terrible positioning and reaction times.

I would say based on what (admittedly little) we've seen so far, Carter and DeLaurier may defend a good bit above the usual Duke big level.

Javin has the tools to be a great, in your shirt defender. He must avoid foul trouble, which is difficult when you play so aggressively.

Man, Bagley and Delaurier are going to be fun as shit this year. Carter probably does more stuff that actually wins you games, but it's so entertaining to watch those gigantic gazelles fly around in a constant frenzy all game long. I can't remember the last time we've had one guy with their mix of size/athleticism/motor, let alone two.

I wonder if Allen/Trent/Javin/Carter/Bagley ends up being a lineup we see. Feels like those are our five best players right now.

Agree on Carter. He looked like a veteran out there. I look forward to seeing him vs real size. He and Bagley were both pretty bad at defending ball screens. Duval wasn't good at it either. Bolden and Delaurier were predictably good at this.
Not to be a Carter apologist, but I felt like pick and roll defense was excellent in high school. I think he'll get there. I would predict him as our second best defender after DeLaurier by the end of the year.

I think Bagley has great potential on that end, but I am not sure we see it at Duke. Trent should be our best perimeter defender from what I've seen. Duval will be our worst.

Despite defensive issues, I think Bagley has exceeded my expectations so far. I was worried he would be an outlier in terms of flow of the offense and a ball stopper as SM mentioned. Didn’t feel like he forced anything yesterday and played fairly unselfishly. He will get most of his points on putbacks and between him and Carter I feel better about our lack of shooting.

Even on d even though his awareness wasn’t great, I felt like he made effort and has the athleticism to help mask some of his mistakes.

I'm worried that Duval's shot is going to be so bad, and the ball will take such awkward bounces off the rim, that there won't be opportunity for putbacks on his shots.

We weren't playing on the line defensively in the first scrimmage. Not sure if it is a one game thing, but they were definitely more in gaps with an open stance as opposed to a closed one. It definitely wasn't packline but it wasn't the aggressive m2m we are used to seeing. i think that is noteworthy through 1 exhibition..

Agree on Carter. He looked like a veteran out there. I look forward to seeing him vs real size. He and Bagley were both pretty bad at defending ball screens. Duval wasn't good at it either. Bolden and Delaurier were predictably good at this.
Not to be a Carter apologist, but I felt like pick and roll defense was excellent in high school. I think he'll get there. I would predict him as our second best defender after DeLaurier by the end of the year.

I think Bagley has great potential on that end, but I am not sure we see it at Duke. Trent should be our best perimeter defender from what I've seen. Duval will be our worst.

Allen will be our worst. I think Duval has potential defensively. He just needs the game to slow down a little bit, he's being asked to do a lot and is probably thinking instead of reacting.

I assume Allen's understanding of the defense will be far higher than Duval's, so I respectfully disagree. I'm not sure what "defensive potential" is besides athleticism, which as has been pointed out elsewhere doesn't have much to do with being good defensively.

Reactions: aiw
Just watched the game on watchESPN - I love having Spatoli and Henderson do color commentary. Chris ragged hard on Gerald for doing everything the analytics guys hate. They both ragged on Lance - we did not allow him to dribble here, we just wanted him to catch the ball with his ping pong paddle hands. Then they ragged on Scheyer. It was awesome, though I suppose a fan of the other school might disagree.

oh, and I was impressed with Duval's defense - he did a job on the reigning DII POY - he has a chance to be the defender that we hoped/needed DT/FJ to be. His TOs dont bother me, thats just him being aggressive - JWill started his career with 10 TOs in a game at the great alaska shootout IIRC.

Javin made a 3, and unlike Bagley's bank is open fluke it looked like he has solid mechanics and could be an actual stretch threat - if he can play some 3 offensively when Trent goes to the bench I will be very happy.

Hard to judge Carter/Bagley/Bolden against a team this small...

I'm with you that it is hard to judge, but I thought Carter looked great. These guys were smaller, but he was aggressive and seems like he's not going to care who he's up against. If they are in his way, he is going to let them know. I think he will be our most efficient player.

Bolden, not so much. Outside of the one nice move/dunk, he seemed soft and lazy, once again. One exhibition game, so going to go ahead and not worry about it.

Trent is going to be huge just for his mental approach. Love him already.

Duval will be fine as well, but please no more 3-balls if they are going to look like that. Solid game.

I'm honestly just excited to watch Bagley and Javin run wild on both ends of the court. Can't remember the last time we had one guy with that energy, let alone two on the same team. Hope they can stay out of foul trouble.

I think the next exhibition opponent, Bowie State, is significantly worse than NWMOST. Picked to finish 2nd in their division of 6, within their conference of 12. They got blown out in the 1st round of the DII Tournament, which NWMOST won. This is Duke's annual exhibition game against the CIAA champs (historically black colleges); I believe destroying them in basketball displays equality in some perverse way.

I would set the spread at 49.5.

I think the next exhibition opponent, Bowie State, is significantly worse than NWMOST. Picked to finish 2nd in their division of 6, within their conference of 12. They got blown out in the 1st round of the DII Tournament, which NWMOST won. This is Duke's annual exhibition game against the CIAA champs (historically black colleges); I believe destroying them in basketball displays equality in some perverse way.

I would set the spread at 49.5.

Yeah we don’t even need the shirts this time as long as we just beat the shit out of them.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom