Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Grayson Allen

dukeberto said:
Thain said:
The more I learn about this kid the more I think he is what Duke stands for and will be a great addition.

Is it because he's wearing khakis and boat shoes in his commitment ceremony?

Well yeah

Topher said:
Having met and worked with Telep, I can tell you he has earned every damn thing hes gotten. You dont know 1/15th the work and effort he gives to his job.

Having worked with Dave (and prior to that had several lengthy conversations with him on a number of topics about the game), this is spot on. He's an awesome guy who is just fantastic at his job. He evaluates so many more thing than just your average skillset and athleticism. He doesn't take himself too seriously. He's got stories for days if you catch him at the right time.

WorldStar HipHop said:
rhfarmer said:
WorldStar HipHop said:
rhfarmer said:
Telep if full of shit.

Fixed.

LOL @ recruiting "experts"

Pretty much all of could do his job.

Telep runs the Carolina Challenge and works for US basketball in addition to having covered recruiting for something like 3 decades. There is a big difference between being full of shit, and working with a lot of assholes. Telep works with a lot of assholes.
I don't give a fuck what he runs or what he covers or who he works with.

Given that his his recruiting evaluations are surprisingly shallow/vague, I'm convinced that you or I could be a recruiting expert in little to no time.

The whole "recruiting expert" thing is a fucking scam.

I was fortunate enough to work at a few football camps and it after those experiences I realized that I could become the next writer for 247Sports.

There are frigging bloggers out there who give better (and free!) breakdowns of a HS player's game.

Then do it.

Topher said:
Then do it.
I'm not interested in being a "recruiting expert" or running a recruiting site because I currently have a great job.

But I can give you a legit example: there is a 20-something year old poster named Steve Lorenz who used to run a free recruiting info site named Tremendous. His site was so good that 247Sports' new Michigan affiliate hired him to be the primary writer. (His recruiting info >>> His evaluating skills)

There's also TomVH who used to give free recruiting info on mgoblog. He was really good and ESPN hired him. (He doesn't focus on evaluating but rather the actual recruiting.)

There's also Jared Shankar who is now the "Midwest Coordinator" for ESPN who is another young gun.

How much coaching, playing, or scouting experience do you think those guy have combined?

(To be fair, 247Sports does have some former coaches and players as the evaluators.)

The post count has already exceeded his freshman minutes. Still a long way to go to match Gbinije's 3,100 internet posts per minute of playing time.

Actually, his commitment thread on TDD was far shorter than a lot of recent recruits. I attribute this to his being an unknown and then committing so fast after we offered.

WorldStar HipHop said:
Topher said:
Then do it.
I'm not interested in being a "recruiting expert" or running a recruiting site because I currently have a great job.

But I can give you a legit example: there is a 20-something year old poster named Steve Lorenz who used to run a free recruiting info site named Tremendous. His site was so good that 247Sports' new Michigan affiliate hired him to be the primary writer. (His recruiting info >>> His evaluating skills)

There's also TomVH who used to give free recruiting info on mgoblog. He was really good and ESPN hired him. (He doesn't focus on evaluating but rather the actual recruiting.)

There's also Jared Shankar who is now the "Midwest Coordinator" for ESPN who is another young gun.

How much coaching, playing, or scouting experience do you think those guy have combined?

(To be fair, 247Sports does have some former coaches and players as the evaluators.)

I mean you can say that about a lot of the bloggers who end up doing such a good job they get hired into roles in any industry. None of this means that people in the industry are awful and have no talent whatsoever, the bloggers just happened to be good at whatever they write about/analyze.

50 Shades of Grey was originally published on a blog. Therefore being a novelist is easy.

I do agree to a certain extent that there are a lot of hacks in the industry. And even some of the guys who put the work in are such poor writers that, while they might have an eye for talent, they're incapable of writing about it in anything but vague cliches.

yeah definitely, and that applies broadly to pretty much every working profession

Topher said:
Having met and worked with Telep, I can tell you he has earned every damn thing hes gotten. You dont know 1/15th the work and effort he gives to his job.

He's a chode.

rome8180 said:
50 Shades of Grey was originally published on a blog. Therefore being a novelist is easy.
Your example actually proves my point.

In today's world of internet, blogging, and social media networks, pretty much anyone can try be a novelist. But only a few of them will make a living through that profession.

Similarly, there are many recruiting sites dedicated for the powerhouse programs but only a few of them become legitimized once they are integrated by an established site.

I don't know if Telep is a hack or not but to reiterate my point once again: his job is not rocket science.

KevinStrickland said:
Topher said:

He's a chode.
The esteemed Kevin Strickland weighs in with his unparalleled insight.

I can shoot hoops therefore being a professional basketball player is easy. All I have to do is practice a lot, play some AAU games, get recruited, play some college, get drafted and boom. Shit, 60 people get drafted EVERY YEAR!

But I dont want to do that cuz my current job is nice.

Topher said:
KevinStrickland said:
Topher said:

He's a chode.

lol, you're kind of a gaping vagina sometimes.

Nah, I think Telep is the best in the business (unlike the absurd notion that Bilas is the best in his profession) but he's a tddesque mod. God he used to drive me fucking nuts on the main scout board with his arbitrary deletions and shit.

Topher said:
I can shoot hoops therefore being a professional basketball player is easy. All I have to do is practice a lot, play some AAU games, get recruited, play some college, get drafted and boom. Shit, 60 people get drafted EVERY YEAR!

But I dont want to do that cuz my current job is nice.

Yeah man...

writing blog posts or recruiting posts on sites = writing chapters (of novels) on blogs = playing ball

totally

KevinStrickland said:
Topher said:
KevinStrickland said:
Topher said:

He's a chode.

lol, you're kind of a gaping vagina sometimes.

Nah, I think Telep is the best in the business (unlike the absurd notion that Bilas is the best in his profession) but he's a tddesque mod. God he used to drive me fucking nuts on the main scout board with his arbitrary deletions and shit.

1) Most of the time, Im trolling you because you have some sort of aversion to being remotely serious.
2) Id rather be a gaping vagina because no one likes a prude
3) Telep is definitely a shitty moderator

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back