Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Grayson Allen

This has to be relative to expectation the worst senior year in Duke history, not taking into account injuries. I mean he's mentally shot except for about 1 in 3 games where he's on some manic high. But otherwise we're getting absolute dog shit performances

Need a time machine to kick this guy out the door to the NBA draft two years ago. His brain has been fried with only flashes of competence since then.

I’m expecting pretty much nothing from him now. He does tend to show up against UNC, so he has two more opportunities to really let me down. But I won’t be fooled again in all the other games.

Loss is on him. Yes, most of the players acted like shitheads today but he's a senior, all American and former champ. For him to go 1-7 in a game like this is wild.

He's way more of a liability than anything Duval does. We have 1/2 of sophomore Allen and we're laughing at Duval's mistakes.

These last few weeks will define his career imo. He'll either limp to the finish and end with one of the biggest let down senior seasons in Duke history or he can put his name up with the great ones. I tend to think he'll limp to the finish.

I feel like Allen is just one motivational gem from K away from being a Duke legend.

K is letting Allen sink to rock bottom emotionally before saying, "just be you, you is enough" and Allen will finally accept that he is a lunatic that gets buckets and carry us to a Natty Champer.

K should:

A) Tell him to be an asshole and ignore the haters
B) Tell him not to worry about injuries
B) Run more offense through him

As it is, he's been relegated to a role player who is worried about being nice (as if that's gonna help him in the eyes of people who think he's Hitler brought back to life). Also, that "don't drive the ball so you don't get hurt" advice K gave him earlier in the year was the dumbest shit ever.

Last edited:
I definitely agree on the driving.
I think Grayson doesn't enjoy and/or isn't well suited for his role as team leader and would be more comfortable and effective in a role where he has a "floor general" PG that runs things, allowing Grayson to just worry about scoring his own buckets. Trevon Duval is not that floor general.

Allen is probably finding it more difficult to drive with Bagley and Carter on the court.

Duval's ability to get to the rim and make all those difficult layups with 5 bodies around him, when he's good, is incredible. Duval would probably be excellent on a typical Duke team with the paint wide open for him to collapse a defense. We have seen Allen do this and be excellent at it on a typical Duke team.

As long as our best lineups include two bigs, I don't think Allen will get better at driving and drawing fouls this season. Bagley and Carter aren't consistent enough from 3 for defenders to care about them out there. I would prefer to never see this kind of rotation at Duke again.

35% (Bagley) and 46% (Carter) are surely good enough 3-point percentages that defenses have to respect it. In Bagley's case, it is clearly not his best use, but it is a good enough plan B that I've taught myself to chill out when he shoots it. And that's what we're talking about here--beating the teams that can take away the BagleyCarter show inside the charge circle.

We don't really know if Allen can drive with this clogged lane since he doesn't try.

Teams aren't respecting it, though. That's why Bagley and Carter are open whenever they want to walk up to the line and take a 3. They are creating no space like this.

Carter can take 30 wide open 3s in rhythm every game. For whatever reason, he doesn't. I assume it's because a sub-70% FT shooter is not really a 45%+ 3pt shooter, and Duke coaches along with all other coaches know it. He has no defensive gravity despite his 3pt%.

Allen and Duval will not have much room to drive in this offense until Bagley and Carter 3s are considered a real threat by opponents, which will be in about 5-10 years from now, if ever.

This offense just needs to chuck and rebound. A contested Trent or Allen 3 at 25% every possession, with 40% offensive rebounding/putbacks and minimal turnovers due to how basic this is to set up, would get us around 1.2 ppp against the best defenses. Duke's offense is working extremely hard to accomplish worse efficiency over an entire game that would come with simply jacking 3s and letting the bigs get it.

I would like to see our ppp on possessions where Trent or Allen attempt a 3 vs. all other possessions. It has to be 1.5+ adjusted for SOS for the former and likely sub-1.1 for the latter.

Last edited:

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom