Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Jayson Tatum

Even IF Saint Louis fired an assistant coach between now and next season and decided to pursue Tatum Sr, there is this:

1) Tatum is choosing his college next month (Duke)
2) Tatum had the opportunity to play for his father in high school and chose to play at Chaminade.

At best, it moves the needle from 91-9 Duke to 90-10.

Either way, SLU doesn't have a coaching vacancy (and won't unless something weird happens) and Tatum's dad isn't looking for the job.

Gawd... that was pretty shocking to see.

I would hope that the staff is never gonna give up on someone like him, though.

Following up on my Tatum wall of text in the general Duke recruiting thread, I did some digging for Tatum's high school stats. This is apparently it for 29 games in his latest high school season:
http://stats.stlhighschoolsports.com/sp ... rall39.php

Basic per game stats:
26 points
11 rebounds
3.5 assists
2.3 turnovers
1.5 assist/turnover ratio
1.6 steals
1.6 blocks

Shooting percentages:
60% 2pt (211/354)
38% 3pt (42/110)
83% ft (206/248)

Shooting rates (attempts per fga):
24% 3pt rate
53% ft rate

So I don't know what Tatum or his coaches were doing during the U19 tournament. Maybe it's just more evidence that Sean Miller's offenses will always be gross-looking given the talent he has. Those shooting rates are fine. Not great, but they're about where Justise Winslow ended up on the sliding scale at Duke (31% 3pt rate and 44% ft rate). 3pt rate is much easier to improve than ft rate, theoretically, since you can simply take a few steps back on your jumpers.

Assuming Tatum's competition in St. Louis isn't completely unacceptable like Semi Ojeleye's in high school, these numbers are very encouraging. The Duke coaches can work with all of this. The ft accuracy is fantastic when thinking about what Duke went through with its non-little guys last season.

Yeah, 38%/83% are really encouraging numbers re: his shooting ability in general. I know his 3PT stroke has been a minor question, but 83% FTs probably indicates that the 38% isn't a fluke.

I wonder how we should expect his offense to change, if at all, from having a PF defend him in college. The optimist in me wants to believe it could result in more threes (big guys less used to guarding perimeter, slower to close out), fewer midranges (less tempted to just shoot over smaller guys who cut him off after a dribble or two), and more attacks to the rim (easier to get a step on bigger/slower defenders), which should also lead to more FTs.

I would also hope/assume that K learned things from Jabarmageddon, and realizes that letting a Jabari float around on defense and take fadeaway 19-footers leads to shitty results. Tatum is also a better athlete and will have Giles as the back-line guy to rotate over to protect the rim, whereas Jabari pretty much had all that responsibility (and shitty perimeter defender teammates). Maybe there's hope.

Pantone, I assume Tatum would play a lot of PF in college. I mean, it's Duke. What are the chances that a 6'8" guy is really going to play the 3?

Speaking of Tatum:

FNuB6bL.jpg

I didn't see the game, but the box score showed him making 17 out of 18 free throws? That would be nice to have from a non-guard.

Last edited by a moderator:
rome8180 said:
Pantone, I assume Tatum would play a lot of PF in college. I mean, it's Duke. What are the chances that a 6'8" guy is really going to play the 3?

Yup - that's what I was assuming in my post. Wondering how the switch in defender types might affect his offense.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom