Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Jeremy Roach

I'm guessing most of you, like me, barely know who this guy is. Time to watch some tape in preparation for his decommitment.

He was "sidelined during his junior season with a torn ACL to his right knee," so there's not that many recent highlights of him. Hopefully that injury is not something we have to worry about and hopefully he can come back at full strength and speed.

I've read a little about him and I certainly like what I've read. If he can stay healthy--and obviously that's a concern--I think he'll be a great fit.

He seems extremely smart and personable in interviews, and he plays hard on both ends. That said, he's not going to set the world ablaze with his shooting. In other words, in most ways he has similar strengths and weaknesses to Tre Jones.

Roach was on the U18 World Cup team last year with Carey and Moore (and Scottie Barnes). He won a starting job despite being a year younger than the other guys, although it was a two-headed point situation with De'Vion Harman. He shot well from the line (10-12 in 7 games), but only 34% from the field and 1-12 from the arc.

Without knowing anything about him, landing a 2020 commitment from a 5-star point guard this early can only help our recruiting efforts in that class. I was shocked when I saw the notification on my phone and this is pretty awesome.

He seems extremely smart and personable in interviews, and he plays hard on both ends. That said, he's not going to set the world ablaze with his shooting. In other words, in most ways he has similar strengths and weaknesses to Tre Jones.

Roach was on the U18 World Cup team last year with Carey and Moore (and Scottie Barnes). He won a starting job despite being a year younger than the other guys, although it was a two-headed point situation with De'Vion Harman. He shot well from the line (10-12 in 7 games), but only 34% from the field and 1-12 from the arc.
Yeah, the numbers SMTTEM quoted didn't look like a natural shooter. I was more troubled by the FTs than the 3PT percentage, tbh. The 3pt percentage is better than Tre's.

Watching him and his release looks good. The shot seems soft and his body is square. You've probably watched him more than I have though, so I'll defer to your opinion. If we got Boston and Johnson to go along with him, that would offset marginal shooting. Sounds like Scottie Barnes needs to improve his outside shooting, so I'd prefer Johnson if we can't get both.

Had only one crystal ball prediction for Duke. Slater, last week.

Not implying causality one way or the other, but interestingly Slater did put in that CB to Duke for Roach the same day Boogie announced his decommitment.
Could be. You've got to think that recruits hear about a silent commitment of another player before we do. Maybe he was already leaning toward decommitment and this was the tipping point. He realistically wouldn't have started at PG this year or the next.

When is the last time someone committed this week early?

I think Baker still has to count here, since he committed in October 2017 before the start of his junior season, and reclassing didn't really seem to become a thing until the spring.

Looks better than Boogie which lessens that blow. Johnson is who I want though. Give me Johnson, Roach and 2 bigs. Everything else is just a bonus.

Watching him and his release looks good. The shot seems soft and his body is square.You've probably watched him more than I have though, so I'll defer to your opinion. If we got Boston and Johnson to go along with him, that would offset marginal shooting. Sounds like Scottie Barnes needs to improve his outside shooting, so I'd prefer Johnson if we can't get both.

Nah, I've just watched some YouTube highlights; I didn't get to watch any of that USA team last year, just the older one with Hurt, Coby White, and others. I think everything you said above sounds right, though. I'd love for that 20-21 team to have O'Connell and Moore back, though -- that would help with the shooting.

Looks better than Boogie which lessens that blow. Johnson is who I want though. Give me Johnson, Roach and 2 bigs. Everything else is just a bonus.
You live in Kentucky. You've got to sabotage Johnson's love for UK somehow.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom