Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Jeremy Roach

I get that you want your PG to be able to shoot. But this still sounds like a player who will play early for K. His player comparison is Kyle Lowry.

I agree. I assume the general consenus is that he'd start and play 28 minutes a game if healthy. He might end up shooting 30-33% from outside, but it seems from available stats, he can hit 2-pointers and free throws at good rates.

* I say only 28 and not like 32 because I like to imagine we could have a backcourt of Roach, Steward, O'Connell, Stanley, and Goldwire, four quality rotation guys and a solid senior role player.

I know he's like a Villanova reporter or something, but I don't have any reason to take NBADraftRoom.coms's NBA player comps as more valuable than those of any poster on here. I'm pretty sure he's just watching a couple of YouTube videos and posting to his Blogger site.

Also, he did say that Kevin Knox's player comp is Paul George.

I think the site's pretty good. And most of the comps I've seen have been solid. He compares Johnson to a cross of Shaun Livingston and Paul Pierce, which is fairly spot-on to me.

28 mpg would put him on like with Derryck Thornton, which seems reasonable. He's missed a little development time due to injury, so he may not be amazing out of the gate. Also, with Johnson being able to run point he may have less of a leash than some of our other recent freshmen PGs have.

I think the Lowry comparison is most apt when it comes to his frame and the way he defends.

I still remember being completely blown away when he committed. I got an alert on my phone on Bleacher Report and couldn't believe it. None of us had any idea that was coming, and at the time, it was supposed to be a Kentucky/Villanova battle for him. It was an out of the blue commitment, but I'm still very pleased by it, and his early commitment helps me view him more favorably, for whatever reason.

When players commit as early as Roach and Johnson do, it has to help quite a bit in multiple ways. Obviously it helps recruiting the rest of the class because highly rated commitments are already on board, and players want to play with unselfish guys like Roach and Johnson. But more than that, it must increase the relationship building that goes on between those commitments and the coaching staff, and it probably allows for the coaches to really help them improve their development throughout the year by relaying what they need to work on most during their senior seasons.

Evan Daniels evaluation of him:

"Has more strength and girth than height and length as a point guard. Plays low to the ground. Plays through contact. Can score at all three levels. Strong with basketball and can find teammates. Willing defender with defensive prowess to defend either guard position. Solid mindset and good leader. Doesn't overwhelm, though, in any specific aspect."

Evan Daniels evaluation of him:

"Has more strength and girth than height and length as a point guard. Plays low to the ground. Plays through contact. Can score at all three levels. Strong with basketball and can find teammates. Willing defender with defensive prowess to defend either guard position. Solid mindset and good leader. Doesn't overwhelm, though, in any specific aspect."

I've compared him to Lowry before. This description reinforces that comparison.

I really like next years team although I think the year after that will be K's best chance at a title. But we should have a decent amount of experience, more shooting and some decent depth. Ball handling will be at a surplus with Roach, Steward, AOC, Gold and Johnson all being capable of running point in a pinch. Our only weakness could be the 5 spot if Williams or Coleman aren't ready and I hope they are because I don't want K doing small ball with Johnson at the 5. Roach, AOC, Moore, Johnson, Williams is my hopeful starting 5 next year. Steward as the 6th man getting near starter minutes.

I think a few minutes here and there with Johnson and Brakefield as the bigs could be fun, to be honest. These guys aren't any less strong or physical than, for instance, LT and Singler when we ran them together in 2007-08. But it would make us quick and extremely tough to guard.

Last edited:
Yeah, I mean, I'm fine with that in spurts but I don't think it can be a success if that's our main option. Of course, in a pinch, Brake and Johnson could fill some spot minutes at the 5.

I think a few minutes here and there with Johnson and Brakefield as the bigs could be fun, to be honest. These guys aren't any les strong or physical than, for instance, LT and Singler when we ran them together in 2007-08. But it would make us quick and extremely tough to guard.

Agreed. We would probably also be able to press the heck out of teams with that line-up, too.

I feel like this board goes just a little too far in the "just trot out a 6'7" guy as a big" direction. Even the 2008 example indicates what I'm saying. That team was totally worn down by the end of the season from having everyone play up a position.

Or look at 2014 and 2016. Those teams would have been much more effective defensively with more of a center rotation. Yes, centers can get burned in pick and roll coverage. But they also tend to be better defensive rebounders and they offer more rim protection. Unless your 6'7" guy is Draymond Green, that level of small ball comes with significant costs. Part of the reason our defense has been so good the last three years (knock on wood) is having a deep center rotation.

So yeah, I'd feel more comfortable with our 2019-20 roster if we had another true 5 besides a freshman Mark Williams.

We probably do get overly hyped about small lineups. I'm guilty of that.

On the other hand, it's cool -- and probably beneficial -- that we're bringing in guys who've played together in various combos before, which a team like 2008 didn't have:

Johnson and Brakefield as the two starting bigs on Phenom U this summer
Johnson and Williams as the two starting bigs at IMG for their senior season
Coleman and Williams as two of the bigs (with Bacot) on Team Loaded in 2018.

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom