Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Mackenzie Mgbako

They don't usually put someone at #1 who's not some sort of freak athlete. Mgbako is no slouch physically, but he's still a little stiff, isn't that long for his height, and doesn't jump off the screen with quick-twitch explosiveness.

None of that is particularly concerning, but not everyone can be Josh Selby.

So maybe we have our answer - he has an extremely high floor as a positive role player, but maybe has some work to do as an alpha scorer/creator. That's okay, even if it's still true in 1.5-2 years, as long as we have enough talent and offense around him. Hopefully his development doesn't go the Emoni Bates route, though.

I wonder how old he is - I don't see his birthdate anywhere. I can't get too down on a junior struggling against an all-star team of USA seniors, though (and he did have some good moments before losing his confidence the second half).

He may be one of those guys who defers on an All-Star team but thrives more as the clearcut #1 guy.

I hope we run him off a lot of screens. It would be really nice to see us get back to that in general. Who was the last guy we did that for? Maybe Kennard to an extent?

Is he speaking in a Nigerian language in the second half of that clip? Or am I just having a stroke/racist?

BTW, I saw him say he turned 17 in November, so he's not unusually old for his class or anything. Also saw him mention he would pretty much only work on his shot early on, and is only more recently trying to develop his handle. Thought that was interesting, and not something you would have ever heard from a recruit before the last 5-10 years.

That skill development sequence is refreshing, tbh. Based on the bad shooting of the top recruits in recent years, I'm not sure it's even common these days.

Mackenzie is extremely personable and kind hearted. He’s a very genuine and positive person that has good intentions. If I get the chance to talk to him this spring/summer I’m going to try and see what type of vision Scheyer has for the programs relating to style of play.

He reminds me kind of actual college Emoni Bates, but a bit stronger. Clearly a shooter, though. The fact that Scheyer's recruits include Schutt, Whitehead, McCain, Proctor, and now Mgbako is just so nice from a three-point shooting perspective.

A lot of comparisons for Mac. I read one that made me think though. L Deng

Another questionable take based off African last names. SMH
I'd like to point out that I compared an African to an African-American, proving I'm not racist, and can therefore making any off-color racial joke I want from now on.

Oof. Bossi on why he considers Mgbako "not really a very good shooter":

He is shooting 27% from three during the EYBL. Had some poor shooting performances during big events like Metro Classic (which I watched online). Semi solid at Hoophall when I was there and then at City of Palms he kind of mailed it in a bit when Gil St. Bernard's went to consolation bracket.

Think he can eventually be a 34-36% percent type shooter from deep but at this moment he's taking too many deep jumpers when he could play to his strengths and score by attacking the rim. Also, not trying to nit pick him, when you get to the top guys we are digging much deeper to try and separate. Obviously we like him pretty well to have him No. 6 even if some feel he should be a little higher

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom