Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Marvin Bagley III

I wonder what kind of stats Bagley would put up if he were truly the #1 option on his team. So frustrating watching this team forget about him for 15 minutes every game.

Have to fault Bagley a little for that as well, though. He didn't do the best job establishing position and neglected to seal off his man several times leading to them reaching around and stealing the entry pass. He needs to establish and hold his post up position stronger.

I actually think our guards waste time trying a little too hard to get the ball inside. It makes the offense very predictable and halts all movement off the ball. I'd prefer more motion and swinging the ball more from side to side, letting good entry passes develop naturally instead of being forced.

I do like the high-low action in the post. But it seems like the man in the high post has been forcing the pass more or just not passing as accurately lately. Or maybe opposing teams are just defending it better since they know to expect it.

I do wonder if it would be easie for the lob entry pass to just be thrown off the backboard, you know Bagley with the inside position will grab that every time, instead of the dangerous lobs that half of the time gets tipped away or thrown out of bounds.

I wonder what kind of stats Bagley would put up if he were truly the #1 option on his team. So frustrating watching this team forget about him for 15 minutes every game.
Bagley's usage is 27%. The next highest is Carter at 22%. Just a game ago he took over 10 more shots than any other Duke player.

Bagley's usage is 27%. The next highest is Carter at 22%. Just a game ago he took over 10 more shots than any other Duke player.
And the only reason his usage isn't higher is because we turn the ball over like crazy trying to get it to him. I think the problem is not forgetting about him but too focused on getting the ball to him.

Bagley needs someone like Roy’s staff to team him how to get post position. Traditionally, UNC’s bigs have been good at that. Duke’s guys either get fronted too easily or allow defenders to push them out too far. That’s why I’m in favor of trying to seal quickly on ball reversal.

I think the bigger problem is our entry passes. Our bigs are open for a split second and that's when the guard making the entry need to deliver the ball, instead they let the moment pass because they don't act fast and decisive enough. Our bigs have to hold poistion for 2-3 seconds in order to receive a successful pass, that's askign a lot from them. Unfortunately that type of quick passing requires great cohesion and confidence between the passer and receiver and is generally takes time to develop.

Marvin is much better when the guards improvise a pass/lob to him than telegraphing a post up at the low block

DYVjZ6uW0AA6mEZ.jpg:large

He posted it after the UNC-UVA game. Allen had gotten the tech the game before, and it was on the front page of ESPN. He's defending Allen while at the same time pointing out that other players commit "dirty plays" but are not scrutinized for it.

I think it's pretty awesome.

To me it’s strange for one of our player’s parents to post something like that about a specific player from another team. And we all saw how it motivated Berry to finish the season.

That tip-in to put Duke up 7 with 5 minutes to go felt like a big-time play. I'm not sure we end up winning if that doesn't happen, somehow.

Seeing Bagley's second jump in person is one of those little things that will stick with me for a long time. It's just insane how quick he is with the second jump.

Also he totally got fouled on that alley-oop he finished over 2 KU players. One of the most impressive physical displays I've ever seen.

Credit KU for absolutely refusing to let Duke run any offense through him, and not really getting punished for it.

Fucking shameful for our coaches to not figure out how to get the ball in his hands anywhere near the rim down the stretch, though. You had one of the best offensive weapons in history at your disposable, and you couldn't figure out a way to use him during that crucial stretch? Just insane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom