Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Matt Jones

Matt's last 6 games:

32.3 minutes per game
7-34 FG (20.6% FG)
5-17 2pt (29.4% 2pt)
2-17 3pt (11.8% 3pt)
3.0 points per game
2.3 rebounds per game
1.3 assists per game
1.7 steals per game
0.2 blocks per game
1.2 turnovers per game
2.0 fouls per game

You can't have this on the court for 32 minutes. Unplayable. Even Kawhi Leonard and Draymond Green would be unplayable if they put up these numbers. Needs fixing.

At this point, Matt as a brief placeholder when Frank/Luke/Grayson need rest or have foul issues is a perfectly fine role for him.

But if he's gotta be out there for significant minutes, he really needs to be instructed not to dribble or shoot. There's no way K actually says that to a senior, though.

if he hits 6 threes in 19 minutes in the Duke victory today, all is forgiven.

I think he has at least one more big moment in him. Not saying it will be 6 treys in 19 minutes, but he'll have a moment.

rhfarmer said:
if he hits 6 threes in 19 minutes in the Duke victory today, all is forgiven.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
Matt's last 6 games:

32.3 minutes per game
7-34 FG (20.6% FG)
5-17 2pt (29.4% 2pt)
2-17 3pt (11.8% 3pt)
3.0 points per game
2.3 rebounds per game
1.3 assists per game
1.7 steals per game
0.2 blocks per game
1.2 turnovers per game
2.0 fouls per game

You can't have this on the court for 32 minutes. Unplayable. Even Kawhi Leonard and Draymond Green would be unplayable if they put up these numbers. Needs fixing.
You know what they say - The best defense is a weak offense.

I don't disagree, DSon. He has something to offer, but the other guards are so dynamic. Frank really earned this.

This is sort of a more extreme Paulus/E Will situation. Obviously, Paulus was better and more versatile than Jones, but that only makes this late season decision more egregious IMO.

rhfarmer said:
This is sort of a more extreme Paulus/E Will situation. Obviously, Paulus was better and more versatile than Jones, but that only makes this late season decision more egregious IMO.

I'm not saying Matt Jones is a Kawhi Leonard type defender or anything, but he did get voted all-defense team, he does a good job on JJackson, and his teammates seem to think he is very good on that side.

As opposed to Paulus, who was maybe the worst defender I have ever watched at Duke. I liked him a lot, but it got so ugly.

With Kennard and Allen's defense I think Matt is valuable at 20 min per game.

Paulus made All-ACC third team his junior year. Jones finished 2nd to BeeJay Anya for 6th man of the year his sophomore year. Paulus's steal rate was the same as Jones's throughout his career. Also, and this is incredibly embarrassing for Jones, Paulus was a better defensive rebounder. They both can't/couldn't guard a quick smallish guard, but at least Jones can handle bigger wings. Frank is much better than Email was. Good comparison, Farmer.

Kenpom defenses on Paulus teams:

Kenpom defenses on Matt Jones teams:

Now obviously, one player does not determine a team's defense. And there are other factors to be considered: more freshmen during Matt Jones's tenure; a key injury last year; Duke's failure to recruit a big man for a couple of years; plus of course Matt didn't really play much as a freshman while Paulus played very little as a senior. But if Paulus was such a liability, we overcame it somehow. Maybe Demarcus Nelson was just that incredible?

It's also worth restating that the 2015 team's #12 defense does not reflect how they played defense all year. So the reality for teams with Jones on them is actually a bit worse than those numbers even show.

rome8180 said:
It's also worth restating that the 2015 team's #12 defense does not reflect how they played defense all year. So the reality for teams with Jones on them is actually a bit worse than those numbers even show.

Except 2015's defense took off when Matt replaced Amile in the starting lineup....

...and if I recall correctly, our defense fell apart last year after Matt got hurt in the UNC game.

I don't think that's accurate at all. Matt replaced Amile in the starting lineup far earlier that our defense taking off, which didn't really happen until the tournament. Heck, we gave up 86 points or something to VT right near the end of the season. Our defense entering the tournament was around 50.

rome8180 said:
I don't think that's accurate at all. Matt replaced Amile in the starting lineup far earlier that our defense taking off, which didn't really happen until the tournament. Heck, we gave up 86 points or something to VT right near the end of the season. Our defense entering the tournament was around 50.

We did give up 86 to VT - in overtime. It was Jones 2nd game in the starting lineup. In the last 7 games before the NCAA tourney that Jones started we gave up 56, 86 (OT to VT), 54, 51, 77 (UNC), 53, and 64pts. We were around 50 entering the tourney, but we were around 80 when Jones entered the starting lineup. The improvement was immediate, it just takes a few games for the season average to fall to reflect the new reality.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom