Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Movies

Old movies in general are tough for me to enjoy. Dozed off during Alien, Blade Runner and 2001 even though I understood while watching them that I would have thought they were the greatest had I watched them when they came out. Couldn’t get through the classics like Citizen Kane and North by Northwest. Won’t try Metropolis because I will feel bad about not being entertained by it. Kids today would probably have these same opinions about The Matrix and Gattaca, which would be sad to me. Kids 20 years from now will fall asleep to Inception.

Old movies in general are tough for me to enjoy. Dozed off during Alien, Blade Runner and 2001 even though I understood while watching them that I would have thought they were the greatest had I watched them when they came out. Couldn’t get through the classics like Citizen Kane and North by Northwest. Won’t try Metropolis because I will feel bad about not being entertained by it. Kids today would probably have these same opinions about The Matrix and Gattaca, which would be sad to me. Kids 20 years from now will fall asleep to Inception.
I certainly have that reaction to a lot of '50s and '60s movies, but not to Alien or Blade Runner. Anything from the '80s and on feels contemporary enough in pacing, lighting, sound design, and acting style for me to enjoy on a genuine level.

I thought the new Blade Runner added a lot to the world in terms of scope. And like I said, I loved it. But the one area where it fell short of the original for me was "weirdness." Maybe I don't mean weird in the same way Zack does. But I think any truly lasting work of art has to not be too neat and obvious. Everything in the new movie is perfectly clear and interpretable in only one way.

Along the same lines, I'm enjoying the new Star Trek currently on some CBS streaming channel (I watch them once people put them online elsewhere). I think they're going for a futuristic Game of Thrones vibe, which is far from what the original Star Trek intended. I also liked the most recent reboot movies so far, which are hated by most hardcore fans. Meanwhile, I find it hard to get through a lot of the original series episodes, despite understanding on a fundamental level that they should be more appealing to me than the modern episodes.

I also liked Force Awakens and Rogue One more than the original Star Wars trilogy. Awful. Would get beaten up in Brooklyn or Portland.

The Star Trek reboots were utterly mediocre. They suffered from "competency syndrome." Hollywood has gotten much better at making movies that cross a certain level of competency while being utterly risk free. And Rogue One was better than The Force Awakens, imo, because it took a few risks. Though I didn't think the new Blade Runner was perfect like the original, I give it high marks for not feeling like it was made by a focus group.

Along the same lines, I'm enjoying the new Star Trek currently on some CBS streaming channel (I watch them once people put them online elsewhere). I think they're going for a futuristic Game of Thrones vibe, which is far from what the original Star Trek intended. I also liked the most recent reboot movies so far, which are hated by most hardcore fans. Meanwhile, I find it hard to get through a lot of the original series episodes, despite understanding on a fundamental level that they should be more appealing to me than the modern episodes.

I also liked Force Awakens and Rogue One more than the original Star Wars trilogy. Awful. Would get beaten up in Brooklyn or Portland.

I like The Next Generation TV version. That's about it.

Only thing I didn't like about Blade Runner 2049 was how heavy handed they were about the revelations. We didn't need to hear Batista say his biggest line three times in flashbacks, and Gosling putting all the pieces together near the end in a quick series of flashbacks could have been handled more subtly, or not at all (i.e., leave the confirmation to the very last scene for those who still aren't sure). On the other hand, I wouldn't have minded a corny sentimental throwback to the famous monologue in the original when Gosling was watching the falling snow.

That's kind of what I was saying earlier. Even in the theatrical cut of the original (with the narration), things aren't as spelled out for you. I'd honestly rather movies err on the side of confusion than being overly explicit.

Whoa...I just looked at Rotten Tomatoes. Apparently a lot of them were ass. I've only seen like half of them though. Age of Ultron and Civil Ware both sucked.

What? Civil War is at 90% and Ultron is at 75%. Every Marvel movie has been 66%+.

Edit: Talking about movies in the Infinity Wars arc, which is around 20.

75% is pretty bad given the level of fanboyism and the paint-by-numbers formula.

I have disliked a few of them. Civil War was the worst, IMO. Just going by overall reviews, though, they’re like 3-4 movies away from the end of this whole arc and have not had one stinker.

Seeing The Shining on the big screen tonight. Should be cool, even though it is an old movie and those all suck and are boring.
So I read the Shining before watching it, and it really hurt my appreciation for the movie. Jack Torrance isn't a complex character in the movie, and the hotel isn't a character in the same way it is in the book. And I'll never understand changing the ending so drastically.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom