Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

News Thread

Can anyone convince me that everyday citizens need AR-15s? I'd love to hear the reasoning.

I also read that Florida is 50th in mental health funding. Is that true?

I hate guns. I have never understood why anyone needed that type of weapon either. I have been told by coworkers who shoot guns that that type of gun is fun to shoot. I dunno.

I'd be a-ok with all guns banned but that's me. I have never liked hunting so never felt the urge to go shoot a gun. Thought it was pretty boring to be honest.

You are the least libertarian Libertarian i've ever fucking seen

That's fair. I am pretty much good with everyone minding their own business, low government intervention in most cases and low taxes. I just really don't like guns. But it is fair criticism.

I am a gun owner and support the right to own guns but NC's response to the Florida shooting is absolutely insane. In no way should teachers, who are around kids all day every day, be armed.

What's the argument for automatic or semi-automatic weapons? Why not ban those but allow pistols/shotguns/rifles/muskets or whatever?

I will be honest with you, I own AR-15's and I enjoy shooting them. I know what the hell I am doing and I am not a threat to shoot anyone though. I love owning one and shooting it but outside of target shooting I do nothing else with it. I do not need it. There was a time that I would have fought the idea of them being taken away but having a son changed me. They could ban them tomorrow and I honestly would be ok with it. Do I think it would change anything? No but maybe it would make it harder for the mentally unstable to get their hands on them. It isn't as simple as just banning them, decreasing manufacturing, etc. There has to be funding and a balance of control and proactively helping those that are showing signs of mental instability. If we do not address both sides of this then any action is futile because even if semi automatic weapons are banned there will still be ways to get them, build them, etc. People yell ban AR's like that actually will do something. Just like drugs, even though illegal, they will still be readily available.

What's the argument for automatic or semi-automatic weapons? Why not ban those but allow pistols/shotguns/rifles/muskets or whatever?

Automatic weapons aren't legal. Semi-automatic weapons can be used for legit hunting. Pistols are semi-automatic, as are most shotguns, albeit with a far smaller magazine.

IMO, the problem isn't that certain types of guns are legal, it's that there is no real barriers to purchase and no oversight after that. I think a nationwide registry, a licensing requirement and perhaps a waiting period and/or limiting the number owned makes sense. The notion that a human isn't responsible enough to drink a beer until he is 21 but on a whim can acquire mechanisms that can wreak absolute mayhem is insane.

I think a nationwide registry, a licensing requirement.

I think this is the most obvious starting point. And then there should also be laws for mandatory reporting of stolen weapons and penalties if an unreported stolen is discovered or used in a crime. Those things seem like a no-brainer to me.

Beyond that, I'd also like to see some kind of objective categorization of weapons based on magazine size, firing rate, muzzle velocity, etc... which require progressively stricter licensing and outright bans beyond a certain threshold, similar to how licensing is done for motor vehicles.

My best friend, who is very intelligent and super level headed has an AR that's decked out to the max and I have a brother who loves guns. Never been a big fan myself. The career I chose obviously uses guns but I've never really seen the obsession with them. I don't own one and probably never will.

With all of that said, there isn't a person on this planet who can convince me that ARs are useful or needed. I always hear home protection. I'd go after a handgun or a shotgun off the top of my head. But I'm 32yrs old and I don't know anyone who has had a break in and needed a gun. This home protection bullshit is so stupid. Just admit, you like guns, you don't want anything change because you don't want your enjoyment taken from you.

1-Some type of mental capability testing.
2-Way more in depth background checks.
3-Longer waiting periods for guns.
4-Ban and recall all ARs.
5-Limit to how many guns someone can own. Saw a stat that 3% of the US owns 90% of the countries guns. That's some psycho shit.
6-Register the guns and do so yearly while also paying yearly taxes on them.
7-Bump the age to purchase a gun to 21. LEO's have to be 21.
8-Mandatory training class. I had to take a 4hr class to get my DL.
9-Start using smart technology that the gun companies are refusing to use. Things like the owner being the only person able to fire the gun they purchased.
10-Disban the psychopath organization known as the NRA.
11-If you live within a certain distance of a school, you can't own firearms. My dad owned a service station growing up and couldn't sell alcohol because he was close to a school.

Will this end these senseless killings? Of course not but it would help a hell of a lot imo. Some of this stuff may be expensive but I don't give a fuck. Use the taxes on guns to pay for it and/or raise the prices of guns and bullets.

I know it is unreasonable but I would love to see a requirement to speak to a shrink of some kind for a certain amount of time before owning a firearm. I wish there was a feasible way to make it so every high school student had to speak to a psychiatrist once a week in hopes of gaining some insight into the psychopathic killers.

I’m spending the weekend with my super conservative father-in-law. He says the obvious solution is to put at least three armed security guards and tall fencing with razor wire around every school. There should only be one entry/exit, and everyone is “checked”’every time before coming/going.

Now wouldn’t you guys love to attend a school like that??

I started going to elementary school in 1973. The school janitors stayed in the school on weekends and they carried pistols.

I'm not sure if they packed on school days, but I know for sure they packed on weekends.

It's ludicrous to expect teachers to pack, obvi.

I’m spending the weekend with my super conservative father-in-law. He says the obvious solution is to put at least three armed security guards and tall fencing with razor wire around every school. There should only be one entry/exit, and everyone is “checked”’every time before coming/going.

So basically prison.

So basically prison.
Institution is the more uplifting term, I think

I did for a little while. Didn't like it.

It's crazy what conservatives will come up with in hopes there guns aren't touched. I just don't understand the obsession and never will.

Weird thing is it’s strictly a party line thing for him. Because of his physical condition, he can’t even use a gun. So it’s not like anyone is taking any enjoyment from him. He’s never owned one until he got the MiL to take a CC class a year or two back, so she can protect them both.

It's crazy what conservatives will come up with in hopes there guns aren't touched. I just don't understand the obsession and never will.

Old people lol

Weird thing is it’s strictly a party line thing for him. Because of his physical condition, he can’t even use a gun. So it’s not like anyone is taking any enjoyment from him. He’s never owned one until he got the MiL to take a CC class a year or two back, so she can protect them both.

If you mention to him that African Americans are obtaining CC permits at a much higher rate than whites, will he suddenly change his stance? Or would that simply justify to him his feeling that the missus needs to be armed and ready for Them?

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom