Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Randomopolis

giphy.gif

Southern Michiganders don't speak like Minnesotans or Wisconsinites. People in Northern Michigan do...with a touch of Canadian.

Everyone feel free to talk about your hick ass accents here.
I don'y have an accent. People in southern Michigan speak Standard American English.
Everyone has an accent. You're fucking fooling yourself if you think you don't. People come in my shop from Michigan all the time, and wouldn't you know it, they sound like they're from Michigan.

Everyone feel free to talk about your hick ass accents here.
I don'y have an accent. People in southern Michigan speak Standard American English.
Everyone has an accent. You're fucking fooling yourself if you think you don't. People come in my shop from Michigan all the time, and wouldn't you know it, they sound like they're from Michigan.
What part of Michigan?

Michigan has three pretty distinct accents. One for Northerners, one for Southerners(non-Detroit), and one for Detroiters. Northern accent is a mix between a Minnesota and Canada. Detroit accent is probably what most people think of if they're referring to a Michigan accent. It's kind of nasally and has weird a and o sounds. The rest of the state speaks Standard American English. The same accent you hear on TV or on a radio broadcast. Technically an accent, but the most familiar accent.

Just did some research and it appears I'm not alone. Michiganders, more than any other state, consider their accent neutral. Which makes sense given that our neighbors sound the same as any national personality.

I used to attend church with an elderly couple from Maine, and I couldn't place their accents at all. They definitely had an accent, but it wasn't a super obvious one like Midwestern, Southern, Jewy, etc

My Southern accent creeps out with certain words. "Married" is a word that comes out all rednecky for some reason if I don't concentrate. Comes out basically as "murray'd". Kind of like how Barkley pronounces "terrible".

Haha I grew up in Raeford. I know the Lumbees and their language well.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom