Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rome's Harry Potter Live Blog

ZackM

Administrator
Staff member
Rome, blog here.

I predict this will be the best thread in the history of this board.

I'm so excited.

NCCUknow said:
OMG, is he reading it for the first time?

Yeah, this is going to be my favorite thread. I might forget we have basketball.

surprise_excited-baby_gif.gif

DurhamSon said:
Spoilers should be automatic bane, for real.

Agree. If anyone discloses any detail beyond where Rome's blog is at, they will be automatically banned.

Don't fucking test me.

The butler did it, in the chambers of secrets, with the butcher knife, while wearing a red and green stripped shirt (horizontal) and a hockey mask.

I agree about the spoilers.

Having not read it, Rome best not spoil anything for me.

You will also be banned if you post a fake spoiler. Looking at you, thain.

I've been sleeping at odd times. I suggest not reading this thread if you haven't read the books, since I won't be using spoiler tags..

Double period was an accident, but I'm leaving it. Reminds me fondly of Duke254.

About thirty pages into second book. Quick thoughts on first book:

1) Why do the rest of the Hogwarts teachers and students put up with Slytherin? It's obvious they suck. They're really the only thing besides He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named stopping Hogwarts from being perfect.

2) The Dursley's are a little too constantly dickish for my tastes. I guess it does get you firmly on Harry Potter's side though. One problem I struggle with in my own writing is always wanting to portray both the negatives and positives of every character, to the point that you don't really have anyone to "root" for.

3) Good plot twist with the Snape-Quirrell thing. I wonder if it's as effective in the movie? I just googled Quirrell and he looks way more obviously evil than in the book. Either way, i thought it was a good move since it complicated Snape's character and made the ending more surprising. I'm not sure that all the details added up in retrospect, which is generally my problem with plot twists. I'd have to look back over some of the scenes with Snape and Quirrell earlier in the book.

4) I guess the Slytherins are not all bad. Snape did save Harry's life. But he was still a huge dick about it. I guarantee you one of the Hufflepuffs would have been nicer about it.

5) Rowling uses names well, though perhaps a little unsubtly. Probably okay for a kid's book, since kids wouldn't pick up on the Latin roots or the aural connotations the way an adult does. Or maybe they would pick up on it, but not in a conscious way. It's hard as an adult to see names like Slytherin or Malfoy as anything but evil.

6) Slytherin has a fucking snake on their house coat of arms or whatever it's called. For Christ's sake. It's like that family who had a son/brother who keeps stealing from them but they let him hang around. I guess that's not that uncommon. Maybe it's a Hogwarts family thing.

Now book two. Thoughts will come in smaller chunks from now on. More like a twitter feed, I imagine:

1) Too much "previously on" rehashing so far. Maybe it'd be different if I read the books a year apart like all the kids did at the time.

2) The Weasleys have helped Harry escape the Dursleys. The Weasley house is interesting so far, but I kind of want him to hurry up and get back to Hogwarts.

3) Is this the book with the hardcore Harry-on-Hermoine action? I was promised pedophiliac wizard erotica when I started this series.

I've noticed several typos. Not going to correct them. I hate that "edited by' thing that appears if you edit after another post has been made to the thread.

(1) Rome, try not to read the books like a critic, but rather a big kid
(2) I love watching the evolution of a reader's perspective on the "mean" characters in Harry Potter.
(3) Hogwarts is basically Duke without nooses

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom