Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rome's Harry Potter Live Blog

Books 1-3 are mostly set up for the events of books 4-7. CoS kind of serves as a prequel to HBP and DH.

NCCUknow said:
(1) Rome, try not to read the books like a critic, but rather a big kid
(2) I love watching the evolution of a reader's perspective on the "mean" characters in Harry Potter.
(3) Hogwarts is basically Duke without nooses
(3) .... so, Duke?

And NCCU, just because I criticize something doesn't mean I'm not enjoying it.

Anyway, I thought this would be more interesting if I gave my full and honest thoughts rather than saying "this is so awesome!" over and over.

Are you really unaware of some of the major plot surprises? I kind of thought they were impossible to avoid if you roam around popular culture even a little bit. I knew most of them when I read the books to my daughter 5-6 years ago, and I'd guess I'm not nearly as plugged in to this stuff as you.

I know next to nothing. There's one major death I think I've heard about, but I won't say it in case it doesn't turn out to be accurate.

Wow. This is going to be sweet. I'll be interested to hear what you think of how Rowling ties in the history of the world she creates.

rome8180 said:
And NCCU, just because I criticize something doesn't mean I'm not enjoying it.

Anyway, I thought this would be more interesting if I gave my full and honest thoughts rather than saying "this is so awesome!" over and over.

I was just making a recommendation on the best way to enjoy this particular series. You certainly don't have to and I'm not complaining. Just speaking as somebody who basically wants everybody ever to enjoy the books.

So far I definitely am. She has a light comic touch that reminds me of Roald Dahl, who was my favorite author as a kid.

TyusStones5 said:
Pantone is a Slytherin and Nukem is a Snape!

Also, why are you complimenting Nukem? I thought you hated him.

Topher said:
TyusStones5 said:

You're definitely a squib.

Looked on with disdain? Ouch but you shouldn't be mad at me bfactor and Zack both invited me here.

Topher said:
TyusStones5 said:

Also, why are you complimenting Nukem? I thought you hated him.

He is sarcastic. :?

Pantone287 said:
He's like a house elf with a bad attitude.

I have never seen a 6'2 elf and besides you are not my master and I don't have a bad attitude.

rome8180 said:
I know next to nothing. There's one major death I think I've heard about, but I won't say it in case it doesn't turn out to be accurate.

That's awesome. Even though I knew huge portions of the story between reading stuff on the interwebs and my loudmouth son who had already read the series, I still found it very enjoyable. Going in without much prior knowledge would've been fantastic, and I can understand why the releases back in the day were off the chart level events. I can't imagine what a formative experience it must be for so many born between 1985 and 1995. Can't think of a literary comparison that is close. I had Star Wars, but I don't think it is on the same level. Maybe iPhone releases for Apple fans?

I think if I had been born 10 years later, I would have been one of the kids standing in line. As it was, the first book came out when I was 17.

I didn't read much the last few days. Obviously there were some games and other things that kept me busy.

Up to 121 on second book. Kind of boring so far. Enjoyed the first one more.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom