Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Television

Yep, the first season is a bit of a slog, and I didn't think I would watch after season one. However, a good friend of mine kept saying how good it was and to try it again. I went back to it and it's now my favorite TV show.

Plus that Justin Theroux, so sexy.

I've said it before here: Just skip the first season and read a synopsis. It's not ideal but it's worth it if you're going to otherwise stop watching because of how slow the 1st season can be.

Benioff and Weiss desperately need Martin to write a good ending. Their own plot driving is shiiiiiiit.

Watched first episode and a half of "Vice Principals" and thought it was a solid start. Danny McBride has such an amazing way with curse words, I envy it. Wish Bill Murray was in it more, still manages to make me laugh.

Benioff and Weiss desperately need Martin to write a good ending. Their own plot driving is shiiiiiiit.

to be fair this isn't totally their fault. they signed up to do a complete story...they don't have one. It wouldn't surprise me if GRRM is set on releasing his books after the show finishes to regain some of the attention for himself as the mastermind of GoT over the shows. I've had this discussion elsewhere, but, i'm pretty confident GRRM is sitting on the 6th book and will release it in Fall/Winter of 2018. imo he's working on the 7th book now.

Watched first episode and a half of "Vice Principals" and thought it was a solid start. Danny McBride has such an amazing way with curse words, I envy it. Wish Bill Murray was in it more, still manages to make me laugh.
McBride plays one character very very well. It's pretty enjoyable

to be fair this isn't totally their fault. they signed up to do a complete story...they don't have one. It wouldn't surprise me if GRRM is set on releasing his books after the show finishes to regain some of the attention for himself as the mastermind of GoT over the shows. I've had this discussion elsewhere, but, i'm pretty confident GRRM is sitting on the 6th book and will release it in Fall/Winter of 2018. imo he's working on the 7th book now.

If he had Winds of Winter ready, they'd already announce a publishing date. Zero chance his publisher would let him just sit on it.

If he had Winds of Winter ready, they'd already announce a publishing date. Zero chance his publisher would let him just sit on it.

Unless GRRM has plans to have a different ending or major differences in his story, which would more than likely cause book sales to increase after the show ended. I think GRRM is a bit upset that the show has surpassed the books in popularity. That's probably natural right? I mean it is his story and he's been writing them for years, so him being jealous seems normal.

If GRRM wanted to help Benioff and Weiss, he would, but he clearly isn't anymore. He gave them the outline on the big plot points, and is letting them fill in the gaps.

That's why IMO Benioff and Weiss are finishing the final 2 seasons with 13 episodes instead of 20 or even 16. They can't get enough material without GRRM helping them out, and instead of running the risk of dragging it out with filler material that may or not be interesting, they decided to speed it up and just go straight towards the big plot points outlined.

They are partially to blame for the decline in the show's writing this season, but, they didn't sign up to put an incomplete story onto the screen. They signed up for a complete story, and the story is not complete either because GRRM simply has no idea to finish it himself, or he's sitting on it and using "it's not finished yet" as an excuse to not help them.

Yeah, if you listen to some of their commentary on the episode, they are basically admitting that they're just making stuff up to advance the plot to things they know happen and doing it in ways they think will be entertaining. Too bad so much of it just doesn't make sense. You can tell that they just want to create spectacle and wrap this up as soon as they can so they can move on to their next projects.

There's no way GRRM is going to have that same battle with the same characters in "Beyond the Wall" in order to give the Night King a dragon.

That's why IMO Benioff and Weiss are finishing the final 2 seasons with 13 episodes instead of 20 or even 16. They can't get enough material without GRRM helping them out, and instead of running the risk of dragging it out with filler material that may or not be interesting, they decided to speed it up and just go straight towards the big plot points outlined.

They are partially to blame for the decline in the show's writing this season, but, they didn't sign up to put an incomplete story onto the screen. They signed up for a complete story, and the story is not complete either because GRRM simply has no idea to finish it himself, or he's sitting on it and using "it's not finished yet" as an excuse to not help them.
This makes sense. But I find it hard to believe that they couldn't hire better writers to fill in the gaps if they wanted to stretch it out to make things flow better. Or just taking more time between seasons to sketch out a more sensible plot to connect all the dots. The way some things are playing out seems a little too contrived and not in line with what's happened in seasons past.

Still love the show (and secretly hope Netflix buys the rights to create a true adaptation of the final 2 books after they're released).

This makes sense. But I find it hard to believe that they couldn't hire better writers to fill in the gaps if they wanted to stretch it out to make things flow better. Or just taking more time between seasons to sketch out a more sensible plot to connect all the dots. The way some things are playing out seems a little too contrived and not in line with what's happened in seasons past.

Still love the show (and secretly hope Netflix buys the rights to create a true adaptation of the final 2 books after they're released).

They should have just hired some people from r/asoiaf to write it. Whatever they would have come up with to get from point A to point B would have been better than the nonsense we had to endure this season.

the seal team 6 stuff was dumb as fuck.

there were much more logical ways to give the NK a dragon. for example, they were pretty close to Eastwatch. (it took them only a few hours to meet the NK beyond the Wall). Bran could have seen a vision of the NK marching towards Eastwatch, prepared to attack the Wildings and Tormund defending it. Bran sends a raven to Dragonstone informing Jon of this. Davis, Jorah, Gendry and Jon sail back to Eastwatch. When they get there, Thoros, The Hound and Berric are locked in the cell. They have their little funny scene, and then the NK begins to attack the Eastwatch, and they let the three of them out of the cell to help fight. They are getting overwhelmed and their asses kicked when Dany arrives with her dragons. Everyone nearly killed, they could have played out the ending of the previous episode similarly. NK spears a dragon, everyone gets on Drogon and they retreat to Winterfell. Eastwatch is destroyed, everyone dead, season ends with Viserion having the blue eyes.

Not great, and I'm sure many people could write the whole thing out much better than that, but IMO that is certainly more plausible than our heroes going north of the wall in search for a wight...to bring to fucking Cersei, lol.

Also, they could have handled the whole Benjen thing better. Since Benjen can't actually pass the Wall, it would've made more sense if they had actually set something up where Benjen saved someone near the Wall, but couldn't accompany whoever saved past the Wall bc he can't cross it, and instead just stayed just outside the Wall and died taking out a few more wights or whatever.

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom