Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Television

Evil Genius on Netflix was a very good documentary. Recommend watching it.

Sick. I need a new binge target now that I'm caught up on Westworld/Legion. Blade Runner being added to HBO is a nice bonus, at least.

I tried Wayward Pines recently. Loved the first few episodes - they did a good job ripping off Twin Peaks enjoyably - but it's one of those annoyingly frustrating shows (Westworld is getting a little that way as well - like, Antagonist Character X would die 99 out of 100 times in this scenario, but of course, you know there's some unrealistically perfectly timed break that will save them every time.)

Read some spoilers before the first season finale, and it sounded predictably annoying, with the second season 100x worse, so I think I'm done with it.

Tormund at +1200 seems like great value considering the last thing we saw in S7 was him getting blown off the wall by the Night King and vICErion

The second season of The Expanse was the best sci-fi television I've ever seen outside peak episodes of Black Mirror. The minor problems I had with the show -- some pretty bad acting, and some flat dialogue -- all went away due to the strength of the story. There were almost no moments where I felt like the writers "copped out." Even most really good shows pull punches or pander to the audience a little. While it wasn't as brutal in its willingness to defy expectations as The Wire or Game of Thrones, it was up there.

Deepdark may have mentioned it first. I've only watched Season 1 and it was very good.

Westworld was great again tonight. Next week looks incredible as we're finally going to get more of the man in black's backstory. Cannot wait.

Finished up "The Staircase", very interesting documentary.

I had seen the first 8 episodes before several years ago and thought for sure Michael Peterson was 100% guilty. Knowing now some of the stuff we know now (Nifong on prosecution team, Duane Deaver being a huge liar, Freda Black not even practicing law anymore after 2 DWIs), I now am 100% on not guilty because of reasonable doubt. I was skeptical of everything Michael Peterson said but I also can't get my mind over how someone could do that much damage to a person in that small of an area with Kathleen Peterson not fighting back at all.

I actually thought while watching it the second time that it almost looked like a bird of some kind had attacked Kathleen Peterson with the way her head was cut up but not deep enough to fracture anything. This idea was bolstered after the blow poke evidence was revealed to have been staged by members of the police so I knew it couldn't have been that which caused the wounds. Plus the experiments that Deaver did seemed to take a lot of effort to get the same effect as what happened to her.

But then come to find out, there's a whole "owl theory" that wasn't even included in the documentary that would've likely been pursued as an alternate theory had the 2nd trial happened. The basic gist of the theory is that an owl attacked her outside the house, got caught in her hair and that's why her head was ripped up so much. She then tried to go upstairs but her combination of alcohol, muscle relaxers and the attack on her caused her to fall down and then she died from the loss of blood. They found microscopic feathers and pine needles in her hand which is the only reason aside from the head wounds that makes me think it was possible. Those last two factors plus with a noted history of owl attacks in the area put me on the side of reasonable doubt.

Regardless, what a weird story. Glad to have gotten to see the whole thing this time instead of only the first 8 episodes. Very well done overall, wish the prosecution and the family that believes Michael Peterson did it would've agreed to participate in the documentary more to give it more of a balanced side.

Yeah, as someone who knows him and the family, I 100% think he is guilty. I can go into all the reasons if you'd like, but the fact that Nifong was involved doesn't change my mind (provided we mean guilty in an absolute and not legalistic sense).

Is anyone watching Succession on HBO? I'm not totally sold on it after the first two episodes, but the premise is interesting enough that I'll at least give it a whole season.

Yeah, as someone who knows him and the family, I 100% think he is guilty. I can go into all the reasons if you'd like, but the fact that Nifong was involved doesn't change my mind (provided we mean guilty in an absolute and not legalistic sense).

The police being corrupt AF is why my opinion changed more than anything. I would love to hear why you 100% think he's guilty, sounds interesting primarily because of the personal connection.

I agree. Unless it was the owl. I would suppose that they mentioned that a prior girlfriend or friend that was a girl also fell down the stairs to her death in Germany 20 years before.

I'll just say that in every interaction I ever had with the guy he seemed totally unhinged. At one point, I was at their house and we thought a dog was barking. It was actually him screaming at us to get out. He was screaming so loud we could hear it from the opposite side of a 12,000-square-foot house, but so incoherently it didn't sound human. This was at 12:20 on New Years, after a party he had agreed to let his daughter have. Multiple other occasions I saw him do similar things.

My other friend's father had fought with him in Vietnam. Apparently, Peterson was a compulsive liar. The stories he told about Vietnam were utter bullshit. He was also publicly caught lying about his war record on his mayoral campaign. Additionally, he had a whole closeted bisexual life (I only mention this to show how much duplicity was a part of his existence). Additionally additionally, he kept journal entries where he talked about being a "monster" or "evil."

I get that all this is circumstantial. But when you combine it with the fact the mother of his adopted daughters also fell down the stairs in a similar way, it's just too much for me to get past.

The Plato's cave allusion, using today's internet/online culture, narrated by Jon Hamm, in the 16th chapter of Legion, was brilliant.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom