Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Travel

Do the roads outside the center of the country still suck? When I went with my parents as a teenager (separate trip) we rented a car. Good idea but some of the roads were sketchy, especially if you're there in the rainy season. That was 20 years ago though.

When I was there I always stayed in the cheapest possible places and took buses. But I was there for half a year, so I couldn't afford to live it up. If I was there with a family or only visiting for a short time, I would definitely not repeat my experience.

Do the roads outside the center of the country still suck?
They did in 2010. Looking at a map, a distance that would be a one-hour drive on American roads might end up being a three or four-hour drive. We almost had to detour and lose hours when we came upon a section of road washed out from heavy rain.

That reminds me. We went during the rainy season and paid a very discounted price of the high season. I would do that again in a heartbeat. The rain was very predictable. It would pour at a certain time midday every day, and then it would be done for the rest of the day. We would go out most mornings for an excursion/outing, come back to the resort to chill during the rain, and then go back out after the rain.

The best part was the resorts were not crowded. The beach resort where we stayed only had like 5 couples there (I swear it was <25% occupancy), so we never waited for dinner and always got the best views at the cliffside restaurant. We always had staff available immediately when we needed it. Of course if you’re a very social person/family who likes to meet other guests on vacation, then this would be a downside for you.

Obviously, it’s still not nearly as sunny during the rainy season even when it’s not raining, and a lot of people aren’t going to like cloudy skies while at the beach.

So, to be clear, Costa Rica has more than one rainy season. Late spring to early summer has the super predictable rain you describe. In the fall though, it can rain all day, every day for weeks on end. Also, Costa Ricans consider their summer to be January-March, which coincides with their dry season.

Another big benefit to rainy season is how beautiful and lush Guanacaste can be. Otherwise, it's pretty dry.

I was there from late May to late November. I only experienced the first type of rainy season. It may depend on where you are. My home base was Heredia, which is a mid-sized city outside San Jose. I spent 75% of my time there.

8am-12pm it was sunny and hot. At around noon it would pour for a few hours.

I preferred Nicaragua to Costa Rica, tbh. I think CR has a greater rep because it's politically stable and has geared itself toward tourism. When I was down there, Nicaragua was enjoying one of its rare peaceful periods. CR may have the better surfing and beaches, but I'm not as into that anyway.

In order to stay in CR for six months, I had to hop over the border for 3+ days twice. Strange loophole that allows you to avoid getting a visa. Granada, Nicaragua is one of the best cities I've ever been to. Beautiful Spanish architechture, wide traffic-free avenues, amazing mix of local culture and tourism, incredible people. Costa Ricans tend to be more standoffish by Latin American standards.

Panama was also great, and completely different from either of the other two countries. Went to Bocas del Toro -- a chain of islands off the Atlantic coast. Had more of a Caribbean vibe. Laid back party atmosphere. There was an amazing bar called El Barco Hundido (The Sunken Ship) that was on the water next to an actual sunken boat.

I highly recommend Bocas Del Toro and Panama in general. Loved it there. I definitely did not go to that bar and now I wish I had.
I hope it's still there. This was 2003, so likely not.

The area around David (pronounced Da-VEED) is also awesome. Totally different.

I loved Heredia.

I think Costa Rica is one of those places that is still processing how to deal with the massive tourism. The people, on an individual basis, are warm, engaging and generous, especially if you make an effort to speak Spanish.

BUT, they aren't going to make the effort if you don't.

They are very nice people. They just don't tend to be as effusive as the Nicaraguans and Colombians I've met. Those are the two other Latin American countries I have the most experience with. Maybe it's something about being war-torn that opens people up. Nicas will literally start talking to you on the bus, get into politics and religion and money, and then invite you to stay at their house instead of a hotel. And they're not even as cool as Colombians, who are just the fucking best.

Like all generalizations, I'm sure this one has a lot of exceptions though.

We took our daughter to Wisconsin Dells. Morning pancakes and 10 hours in a water park - my kid could not be happier. Wish I had more time to drive the extra hour or two into Milwaukee to see that city (more for me, than my family).

Met a lot of cool Bucks fans this week.

Can you guys suggest some hotels in NYC? I have stayed at the Jane most times, looking for something for a family

I have been online looking but I would appreciate any suggestions y'all may have

Can you guys suggest some hotels in NYC? I have stayed at the Jane most times, looking for something for a family

I have been online looking but I would appreciate any suggestions y'all may have

I have seen respectable people swear by the Marlton in the Village. Desired location and budget are important. Hotel Wolcott and Knickerbocker are two of my favorite hotels in The City. Immaculate architecture (2 of 3 best Beaux Arts buildings in the entire city IMHO), luxurious lobbies. HW is a couple blocks from MSG and the Empire State Building. KB is in Times Square. Looks like rooms are going for $200-250 at both right now. The relatively new Marriott (1717 Broadway) hotel near Billionaire's Row/Times Square/Central Park. I like the Millennium Hilton and the new Marriott at 133 Greenwich Street if you want to be near the World Trade Center. The W would be a more expensive option downtown in line with HW and the KB.

@torontoduke staying in a neighborhood that you want to explore is key. Figure out what you want to do, then hotel from there. Nothing worse than booking a nice hotel at a great price that means you spend the whole day on the Subway.

Thanks folks - looks like our gang has settled on a Hilton in midtown.

@Twentytwenty - the Marlton looks gorgeous with a nice location, just out of our price range.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom