Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Travel

Wait, what? You bought a flight that connected through Miami and Newark to get to SC?

Flight canceled.

Now, standby ar 345. If not that, standby at 820. If not that, booked tomorrow to Charleston via Charlotte!

All because I didn’t want to drive 5 hours and have 2 cars there.

I also ran to try to catch my plane last night and missed it, but did sweat a lot. Of course, they made me check my bag at the original gate, so I am in the same stinky clothes i was wearing yesterday.

Wait, what? You bought a flight that connected through Miami and Newark to get to SC?
Not on purpose. My flight was through Miami, but we sat on the runway in Raleigh because they misbalanced the plane and then we sat on the tarmac in Miami for 40 minutes because there was a plane at our gate. I missed the connection by 10 minutes and had to stay in a hotel. There were no seats from Miami to Charleston today, so they booked my through Newark and here I am.

I would rather drive 5 hours than take a single one-hour flight, let alone with connections. Everything about flying is miserable.

I like flying, which is why I didn’t mind. Won’t make that decision again.

I got a seat on the standby flight, which keeps getting delayed. A lady with 2 kids came up to me after the guy at the gate told her I got a seat asking if I would give it up so she and her kids could get on the flight. They’d been at the airport since 5 am. She didn’t want to listen that I’d been in the airport since 3:30 yesterday and am wearing the same clothes and stink. I politely declined and she started to cry. I felt really bad, but not too bad. I think I’ll have a mental breakdown if this flight gets canceled.

I would rather drive 5 hours than take a single one-hour flight, let alone with connections. Everything about flying is miserable.
A one hour flight takes 5 hours anyway.

Drive to the airport-- 30 min to 1 hour
arrive 2-3 hours early so you can do all the TSA bullshit
1 hour flgiht
deplane, baggage claim-- 30 min to 1 hour

5 hours if everything goes perfectly.

1 hour flgiht

giphy.gif

1 hour flgiht

giphy.gif

Farmer is old, remember. It takes him a while to make his way around an airport.

Visited Boston for the 2nd time in my life this weekend - fabulous town. Hard weekend on the body, though. The good vibes from the Celts will help me recover.

Visited Boston for the 2nd time in my life this weekend - fabulous town. Hard weekend on the body, though. The good vibes from the Celts will help me recover.
That's the one non-beach city I want to visit. Everyone I've spoken to that's been there loves it. I'd like to make a trip there this year before I go to the academy. Any spots you'd recommend?

That's the one non-beach city I want to visit. Everyone I've spoken to that's been there loves it. I'd like to make a trip there this year before I go to the academy. Any spots you'd recommend?

I'd try the following

If you like beer:

- Sam Adams Brewery tour. Does not cost anything, tour is about 1 hour long and there is a nice tap room to sample their wares.
- there are a million pubs, but the one I kept going back to was McGreevy's on Boylston Street. It is a sports bar with a decent tap selection and decent food (as far as sports bars go). It is a nice environment, IMO

Other stuff:
- take a side trip to see the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield. It is about 90 minutes or so away from Boston. Nice experience.
- go to Fenway. Even if a game is not on, they offer public tours. A beautiful place.
- Quincy Market has all your tourist-type stuff (shopping for novelty shirts or whatever)
- I stayed in Brookline (near BU campus - nice neighborhood)

Things I did not get to, but was interested in:
- JFK Presidential Library
- Tea Party Ships/Museums
- Art Museum near Boston College Campus
- Walden Pond (outside Boston obviously, but in vicinity)
- yet to get into TD Garden

I was told if I went to a bar in Dorchester I'd get my ass-kicked. I didn't go.

As an aside, for one week in Costa Rica - where do I go?
The beach towns of the Guanacaste region were great. We also enjoyed the town of La Fortuna and the volcano Arenal region. We stayed at the Tabacon Resort nearby, and it was very nice.

I’m sure @rome8180 can give you a much less touristy take.

Nah, that's about what I'd do if I was there for one week. West Coast beaches. Some of the big ones are Quepos, Jaco, Montezuma, Tamarindo. There are plenty of small beaches in between if you want to avoid the tourists and have a more immersive experience.

Avoid the East Coast. It's grimy, and because of the deep racism and segregation in CR you'll encounter a lot of hostility.

Would highly recommend the cloud forest near Monteverde. That's near Arenal, so you could do both of those in the same day. Maybe hit up the Cloud Forest and then get a hotel in Monteverde.

Don't spend much time in San Jose. Fly in there and then figure out how you want to travel around.

This is all based on really outdated knowledge though. Even though I was there longer than most people, it was 16 years ago. I've heard it's a lot more expensive now. And maybe certain places have changed.

Farmer will have a more accurate view than me, imo.

Cool. Arenal/La Fortuna look awesome. How easy is it to get around? And how? Got three kids to deal with.

We used shuttles and taxis hired through the resort. Didn’t bother with renting.

And Rome is right about the cloud forest. Very cool.

The Arenal area is cool, but Tabacon is above my pay grade. There are great cloud forests east of San Jose as well, Parque National Braullio Carillo is a good one.

Guanacaste Beaches are dope, but I'd avoid Tamarindo, personally. I'd go to Sta Teresa but it's a trek.

The buses are great and go everywhere, but a Tourismo Van/Shuttle is way better even if it's ten times the price.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom