Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Trevon Duval

Basically, Duke could have been up 20 at the half with Bagley's energy, the good shooting from Grayson/GT, and the surprising contributions from AOC and Bolden. The biggest reason they weren't is they're playing 4 on 5 too often.

To make this your PG primary recruiting target is such an indictment of stupidity that I literally wouldn't even give Capel a shot if this was his idea.

I blame Duke for Duval being this bad more than I blame Duval for being this bad.

Duval would be doing well at UK right now because at least he would be on a good defensive team which would allow him to get into transition more. This Duke defense is hurting a lot of players right now because it is beginning to impact the offense. The #80 defense with this much talent and size is a fucking disgrace.

We knew from the start he was the most important player in college basketball this season. Unfortunate it turned out this way instead of the other end of the spectrum, but being the same player he was in high school should probably not be a surprise to the coaches.

They either chose this and thought they were getting something else, which means they're stupid and lazy in recruiting, or chose this and were hoping for a miracle, which also pretty much means they're stupid.

Agreed, SM. I was just coming to post that Duval reinforces Slater’s argument that Duke has gotten lazy in recruiting. We all saw huge problems with guys like Thornton and Duval, but the staff sees a high ranking and runs with it.

First, they’ve gotta go back to opening up the offense a little more and not running this high-low post up crap that basically makes him useless. Second, they have to get back to playing at a faster pace. Basically, they’ve gotta just unleash him and let him thrive or crash and burn. If he’s thriving like the MSU game, great if you get NC state game Duval you yank him and ride Grayson at the point.

Unfortunately pace slows later in the season, especially in the tournament. So yay, he’ll be even more useless in the most important games. Duke is still near the top in the country in offensive possession length, so I don’t think that’s too big of a problem for Duval at the moment.

I blame Duke for Duval being this bad more than I blame Duval for being this bad.

Duval would be doing well at UK right now because at least he would be on a good defensive team which would allow him to get into transition more. This Duke defense is hurting a lot of players right now because it is beginning to impact the offense. The #80 defense with this much talent and size is a fucking disgrace.

He wouldn't have been doing well at UK, just like a 21 year old Derryck Thornton isn't doing well at USC. Just like Trae Young would be doing great here too.

We were warned

March, 2017

Probably another Derryck Thornton, perhaps even more harmful to the team as a freshman. I have no hopes for him to be anything better than an atrocious negative player in the one year he spends in college. Give in to the reality now and be pleasantly surprised if wrong, instead of denial followed by catastrophic disappointment when it unfolds in front of your eyes.

Rose shot 34% from 3 and 71% from the line, and had a 1.8 assist/turnover ratio. Duval will need to hit at least those numbers, in a much, much tougher conference than Rose played in, for Duke to contend. This is assuming that Duval, like Rose, is a transcendent talent when it comes to breaking down a defense, finishing at the rim and destroying weaker college athletes defensively. These are not safe assumptions.

May
Weaknesses:

-Hasn't made much progress with his jumper. Still looks like he's shooting bowling balls at the rim. Shoots on the way down, or from his shoulder. Stiff with his release
-Needs to improve his ability to finish with finesse around the rim. Struggles in traffic at times despite his tremendous tools
-Decision making skills leave a lot to be desired. Not the most fundamentally sound or solid passer. Looks to make the highlight reel pass instead of the simple one too often, rendering him turnover prone. Often a split-second late with his reads. Kills his dribble in traffic
-Gambly defender who takes possessions off at times -

Really sad how an iconic 5-time national champion, ex-military, erstwhile no nonsense badass of a head coach has been reduced to coddling shithead freshmen who don't give a fuck and retweet their highlights a half hour after losing a rivalry game in which they played like a headless turkey vulture.

I wouldn't have a problem with K just removing him from the team. At a minimum he should be benched the next game. In his mind this is clearly just an opportunity to showcase his "talents" to NBA teams.

K will play him 38mpg for the rest of the season.

Not sure I'm convinced that Duval would receive the message that benching/not starting is intended to convey. Based on what we've seen on the court and in the timing of his tweeting/retweeting, etc., the guy just seems incredibly situationally unaware.

Much as it pains me, I think the only real option is to keep trotting him out there and to pray that he grows a brain. It's not like we have a decent backup plan – I think that, at times, Grayson looks more competent than Duval at the point, but it doesn't seem like appearances have actually translated to better offense. (If the numbers folks have info that proves this wrong, please share).

But whatever. More than anything else, last night was about Duke getting skullfucked on the boards.

Only message that needs to be sent is "go fuck yourself." To make sure Tre receives it, someone should film K saying it to Tre, lay down some Anno Domini beats, and title it something like "Coach K SHOWED OUT and CAUGHT A BODY." Then put it on Youtube and wait.

Duke goes as DuvaI goes and right now he is bad;

We say this aII the time; coIIege basketball is a PG driven sport- you simpIy cannot win without good PG pIay:

I Look back at the Michigan State game where Grayson had 37 points and that game was Duval's BEST game because he was a facilitator for AIIen and BagIey, getting assists and putting Duke in position to score! But since then he's been out of control, committing turnovers trying to be a scorer which he just isn't, going too fast and not pIaying under control, not being a PG stopper on the defensive end, stopping the baII on fast breaks, or causing the opponents to turn the baII over, getting into foul trouble, not making the extra pass or just making bad decisions, etc

He's amazingIy quick, a great passer when he wants to be, has a great vertical Leap and can dunk it over most PG's, can handle the baII, gets to the rim, etc, etc, BUT-

UntiI he turns it around Duke cannot turn it around

To make sure Tre receives it, someone should film K saying it to Tre, lay down some Anno Domini beats, and title it something like "Coach K SHOWED OUT and CAUGHT A BODY." Then put it on Youtube and wait.
This is such a great idea.

Really sad how an iconic 5-time national champion, ex-military, erstwhile no nonsense badass of a head coach has been reduced to coddling shithead freshmen who don't give a fuck and retweet their highlights a half hour after losing a rivalry game in which they played like a headless turkey vulture.

I wouldn't have a problem with K just removing him from the team. At a minimum he should be benched the next game. In his mind this is clearly just an opportunity to showcase his "talents" to NBA teams.

K will play him 38mpg for the rest of the season.

K would be doing him and his draft potential a favor by not playing him again.

They either chose this and thought they were getting something else, which means they're stupid and lazy in recruiting, or chose this and were hoping for a miracle, which also pretty much means they're stupid.

Another possibility is they chose this and were arrogant enough to think they could fix him.

Another possibility is they chose this and were arrogant enough to think they could fix him.

That's the same possibility I mentioned, about hoping for a miracle.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom