Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Zion Williamson

That missed dunk is unreal. I think he'll disappoint a little bit but fuck we're going to be exciting to watch.

Wrote another blog with Jason Jordan. Only thing interesting was the following:

Now that the season’s over I can lift a lot more and I’m really watching what I put into my body.

There is some thought in the public that Zion is overrated because he doesn't shoot in highlight videos and plays shit-tier competition.

I try to explain to everyone why they are wrong, but it is a laborious process.

Here are my main points:

- He dominated the summer circuits and Team USA practices. This was against the best of the best. Guys like Meyer were gushing about him. Andrew Slater says he's his favorite player in the entire class.

- He is not a "great" shooter, but he really doesn't need to be. He will keep defenses honest like Bagley, I believe. But he is such a dominating physical presence, he's going to get what he wants by driving and playing the 4. He is a great driver with a great handle. I've never seen a fat man with such a good handle.

- He is going to be playing with other stars, so he won't be doubled and tripled like in high school.

I see a star and a potential "One For The Ages" superstar at the college level. Think 18 ppg and 8-10 rpg with a highlight dunk per game. Good defender in the zone.

One of our best OAD players ever and possibly the most iconic.

Zion will be fine defensively if he’s in the corner of the zone. I worry he’ll be playing the middle a lot if/when Coach K wants to go small. Zion will probably be a good shotblocker from helpside, but I don’t see him being a great rim protector against postups or with drives coming right at him. Having Carter or Bolden in the middle is the biggest reason Duke’s zone is so effective this season IMO (length on the outside helps a lot, too, obviously).

Zion playing center shouldn't be necessary, but both of our two main center options being one-dimensional or zero-dimensional on offense forces us to judge him in a different light, unfairly to him. DeLaurier being useless with the ball is the main problem that creates this vision of Zion playing center. DeLaurier's sole focus this offseason should be to add a reliable corner 3 to his game. If he's giving us spacing from the center position to go along with 3 other shooters, Zion can do whatever he wants from PF. He should be free to embarrass opposing bigs one on one with an open paint, instead of being counted on as someone who can provide spacing for others just because the other centers can't. Montgomery would probably not change this situation at all.

Zion’s positioning depends mostly on Trent and Bolden’s decisions this offseason. If Trent returns, K is going to want to play a Tre, Trent, Barrett, Reddish, and big guy lineup fairly often. Hopefully that big is a large guy like Bolden.

There is some thought in the public that Zion is overrated because he doesn't shoot in highlight videos and plays shit-tier competition.

Here are my main points:

- He dominated the summer circuits and Team USA practices. This was against the best of the best. Guys like Meyer were gushing about him. Andrew Slater says he's his favorite player in the entire class.

Your point on Slater is fine but you should never use Jerry Meyer as a reference. I went to more AAU events than Meyer last year.

Here are my main points:

- He is not a "great" shooter, but he really doesn't need to be. He will keep defenses honest like Bagley, I believe. But he is such a dominating physical presence, he's going to get what he wants by driving and playing the 4. He is a great driver with a great handle. I've never seen a fat man with such a good handle.

- He is going to be playing with other stars, so he won't be doubled and tripled like in high school.

I see a star and a potential "One For The Ages" superstar at the college level. Think 18 ppg and 8-10 rpg with a highlight dunk per game. Good defender in the zone.

One of our best OAD players ever and possibly the most iconic.
Your post comes across as logical and well reasoned until the last sentence. Pump the breaks just a little and you'd be more convincing.

Zion’s positioning depends mostly on Trent and Bolden’s decisions this offseason. If Trent returns, K is going to want to play a Tre, Trent, Barrett, Reddish, and big guy lineup fairly often. Hopefully that big is a large guy like Bolden.
I don't see Zion coming off the bench, so I think he would be our "center" in that scenario. That team would be even better offensively than this one, but I am not sure even a zone could solve the defensive issues. With that lineup, I might try a "switch everything" defense, at least at first.

I don't see Zion coming off the bench, so I think he would be our "center" in that scenario. That team would be even better offensively than this one, but I am not sure even a zone could solve the defensive issues. With that lineup, I might try a "switch everything" defense, at least at first.

Yeah, I agree with Rome here. You don't recruit Zions to come off the bench and keep getting Zions. He is a centerpiece, not a 6th man.

If Trent is back, I'll be happy, because he's a great shooter and his swagger is contagious and easy to root for. But I do kinda fear a lineup of Tre/Trent/Cam/RJ/Zion. I think it would be mediocre on defense and the boards, zone or no zone. I would be elated to be proven wrong about that lineup- it is definitely very lengthy and athletic. And switching everything could work like Rome suggested. I just need to see it.

We would be cooler than many NBA teams. You think someone would wear a Jazz or Hornets jersey over DUKE? Ha.

I think next season's team will definitely begin the year in m2m. You might as well try it, and then if it it just sucks go back to zone.

I think next season's team will definitely begin the year in m2m. You might as well try it, and then if it it just sucks go back to zone.

I don't understand why we'd want to go m2m. Zone has seen our defense skyrocket from the depths of the 80s to the heights of the top 10 on KenPom.

Is there empirical evidence that m2m is superior to zone when facing superior athletes/talent, or is it just a pride thing?

I'm not suggesting that next year's team will be better in m2m, it's impossible to know that without having seen them. But I do know that I would at least like for them to give it a shot. If the defense is atrocious 5-6 games into ACC play then make the full switch again.

I don't think you should just commit yourself to being a full zone defensive program as a result of this season. Just based on size, next year's team will likely struggle more in defensive rebounding and protecting the rim in a zone. I like being able to adjust/adapt year to year, and considering how much the roster changes from year to year I think experimenting with multiple defenses early on in the season is effective, and then in ACC play we can settle down on something- which is what we did this year.

Here are my main points:

Your point on Slater is fine but you should never use Jerry Meyer as a reference. I went to more AAU events than Meyer last year.

Topher is Andrew Slater confirmed

Forgot to mention this earlier: I remember Slater saying on 247 that Zion's stepfather (I think) has really worked hard with Zion and instilled in him the importance of taking "shots he can make."

Zion is not going to be taking fadeaway midrange jumpers like Tatum or Kobe.

I understand that many on this board are naturally pessimistic regarding recruits, and that is very healthy. The vast majority of recruits are not going to be LeBron/Durant/Anthony Davis. I'm never going to criticize someone for having a dubious eye. But I really do think Zion is going to be beloved by this board.

I think we can all be bullish on his prospects of being the best fat Dukie ever. :tearsofjoy:

I'll be shocked if K starts the season in zone. Bolden is a good defender, Zion should be solid as a 4. Cam and Barrett have the quickness and length to be solid and Tre already is a very good defender.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom