Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2023-24] NC State (ACC Quarterfinals)

What's your prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Duke has one good win all season, the neutral court win over Baylor. Lost at home to Arizona, lost on the road to two bad teams in GA Tech and Arkansas, got dominated physically by UNC twice, and just got tossed out of the ACCT in the first round by a bad NC State team.

We won a ton of games against bad teams. There is really nothing to celebrate from this season.

His two wins over Final Four bound Miami, sweep of UNC, win over UVA in the ACC finals last year, and against MSU and Baylor this year weren’t meaningful?

Not making it out of the first weekend again this year would be disappointing, but it’s not as though countless other top programs haven’t suffered that fate before, including our very own in 96-97 and 07-08.

I also want to ask the anti-Scheyer brigade, if not him, then who? I can’t see us targeting a big name coach, so we’d probably end up with some uninspiring trash who would drag the program into true mediocrity, or worse. Look at Louisville, Georgetown, Michigan, UNC under Doherty. It can get so much fucking worse than this.

I also want to ask the anti-Scheyer brigade, if not him, then who? I can’t see us targeting a big name coach, so we’d probably end up with some uninspiring trash who would drag the program into true mediocrity, or worse. Look at Louisville, Georgetown, Michigan, UNC under Doherty. It can get so much fucking worse than this.
I’d be throwing as much money as I could at Hubert Davis.

The only meaningful win so far has been the UVA ACC championship win last year. Obviously we can debate what constitutes ‘meaningful’ but that’s where I’m at. Certainly I don’t count sweeping a UNC team that didn’t make the tournament last year as meaningful.

He’s not inspiring confidence in the fan base right now. This season hasn’t gone anywhere close to expectations. We can say the roster is flawed, but: a)ultimately that falls at his feet; and b) that didn’t stop a lot of folks from anointing this team as a title contender and singing their praises preseason.

As Slap mentioned, the extracurricular stuff doesn’t help. I’m not sure that’s Scheyer’s fault necessarily, but the program just feels like a fucking failure and the laughing stock of the sport right now. And it’s entirely our own doing.

Let’s ask David Tepper, the master of firing coaches after two years just to hire better ones. Though I imagine Rivera, Rhule, and Reich would have their jobs still if they maintained a .75 winning percentage after two years like Jon so far

Sweeping UNC is always meaningful to me. It was especially last year after what happened in 2022. And they’d have probably made the field had they even gotten one win over us.

Reactions: beo
It can be both true that there aren’t clear better options AND Scheyer also isn’t doing a great job in several facets of coaching that recruiting elite talent can only help so much with.

It can be both true that there aren’t clear better options AND Scheyer also isn’t doing a great job in several facets of coaching that recruiting elite talent can only help so much with.

Where would you say he’s doing poorly, exactly? Roster construction this year is the only big one for me.

I respect you as a poster btw so it’s a legit question.

Last edited:
I remember early last year people were convinced he was a bad offensive coach, when it was eventually proven that the personnel on that end of the floor was simply weaker than usual. That’s how we are inside this year.

The University likely won’t care about the difference between very good and mediocre in basketball. Even being the standard bearer in basketball for nearly 40 years isn’t enough to avoid being relegated to the Big East or Big 12 in realignment. Rationally, all the money should go to football, and the sooner the better, to potentially open the door to being in one of the acceptable conferences.

Personally I would enjoy continuing to see a good basketball product, but admittedly, I don’t even watch this stuff anymore. The sport doesn’t matter to many former hardcore fans, which is a reflection of how unimportant it is to schools and conferences. The most likely result is not Duke firing Scheyer, but rather, Scheyer being given so little to work with that he leaves for an NBA career. There are plenty of GMs in the NBA who have less talent evaluation ability than Scheyer. The replacement should just be someone cheap who knows midrange is bad.

Some retiree from this board would likely pay Duke to be head coach. Duke could auction off the right to coach Duke for a week, every week of every season. Then put the proceeds to football.

Given how well he’s recruiting it would be insane to fire him. I’m not suggesting that at all.

What i’m suggesting is right now, he is not a very good coach.
This is where I’m at also, but I’ve felt that way all year long. It takes him way too long to make adjustments in game, and his feel for the ebb and flow of the game is lacking. And he obviously is not the inspiring motivator that K was. The first two he will improve with time and experience. But I’m worried about the last one, I think that is more a either you have it or you don’t skill.

If fucking Blakes hadn’t concussed McCain with a pregame headbutt perhaps Jared could’ve made a shot. So i blame Scheyer and Blakes.

I miss being a physically imposing team like we were in 2022 and 2023
Ultimately this is where I’m at.

I frankly don’t give a shit about losing close hard-fought games. Shit happens, we’ll bounce back. I just want to get back to being physically imposing. Next year I want us to let out primal screams in SOB’s faces again, as we block shots with our dicks.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom