Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Game Thread [2023-24] North Carolina

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Selfishly I want the 1 seed as a point of bragging rights. I know it's possible we have better matchups as a 2 seed, but still.

BTW, Pitt coasting so we'll have to wait until Saturday to see who gets the 3 seed.

I’m not overreacting to a blowout over a sub-100 team on senior night.
Yeah, I mean we essentially just blew out three teams in a row. Being up 38-13 on UVA is objectively more impressive than what they did to ND.
Maybe but UVA hasn’t broken 50 in four of its last five games and is #227 on Torvik over that stretch. Notre Dame was 4-1 and #70 over that same stretch before tonight.

Notre Dame is 127th on Kenpom, 12-18 on the year, and have one of the worst offenses in CBB. A recent streak of better play doesn't mean it that's who the team is now. Heck, UVA had a three-week stretch themselves that was far better than that. ND can only dream of this:

Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 12.08.13 AM.png

ND’s only ACC road wins this year were GT in overtime and Louisville. They were never going to compete in Chapel Hill. We beat them by 18 in Cameron in a game where it felt like we sleepwalked for 30 minutes. Just not a threatening team outside of South Bend.

Kind of weird how similar UNC and Dukes ACC seasons have gone. Both lose a WTF game to GT, each lost a close surprising home game, each lost a tough close road game where the opponent played well above their head and shot out of their minds

I mean, not only is their wins-loss record identical, but by all the metrics they're basically the same team. The main difference is that the offense and defense are flipped. Somehow UNC is a top 10 defensive team, which I still don't understand. I also don't understand why they're not better on offense.

The regular season title will be on the line. We didn’t fare well while battling UNC for it in the finale under Roy. Let’s put another later era K bugaboo to bed and get this done.

It also has to be noted, the winner of the second Duke-UNC game has gone deeper in the postseason in 17 of the last 20 years. I am a true believer in its predictive value.
This really is Jon's biggest game to date.

Late K did suck in these kinds of games late with the reg season on the line. I'm having a hard time remembering the last one of these he won over Carolina

82-50 sewed up the RS crown in 2010. Otherwise, it wasn’t a pretty picture:

2008: Both Duke and UNC come in at 13-2, Heels win as we go ice cold down the stretch
2009: UNC enters 12-3, Duke 11-4, Heels come out on top by 8 in a game that never really felt in doubt
2011: Both teams 12-3, UNC rolls to victory at the Smith Center
2012: Both teams 13-2, UNC pastes us at Cameron

Actually haven’t entered the finale with the RS title on the line since. We were already out of it in 2013, 2015, 2019, 2020, and 2023, and had clinched against Pitt in 2022.

This is depressing, K was as bad as the 1960s Lakers vs the Celtics, or the Buffalo Bills against anyone for half his Duke career with a chance to win the RS against this team. This statistic and failing to win a game against a higher seed in his last 28 years were by far the most demoralizing aspect of this timespan.

Scheyer please save us.

Yikes that is bad. Gotta imagine we get some reversion to the mean here soon.

Kinda odd, too, that Duke won 8 of the last 20 second matchups, and UNC wasn’t in contention for the ACC RS in any of those seasons. Duke only wins the second matchup if UNC sucks?

The regular season title will be on the line. We didn’t fare well while battling UNC for it in the finale under Roy. Let’s put another later era K bugaboo to bed and get this done.

It also has to be noted, the winner of the second Duke-UNC game has gone deeper in the postseason in 17 of the last 20 years. I am a true believer in its predictive value.
This really is Jon's biggest game to date.

Late K did suck in these kinds of games late with the reg season on the line. I'm having a hard time remembering the last one of these he won over Carolina

82-50 sewed up the RS crown in 2010. Otherwise, it wasn’t a pretty picture:

2008: Both Duke and UNC come in at 13-2, Heels win as we go ice cold down the stretch
2009: UNC enters 12-3, Duke 11-4, Heels come out on top by 8 in a game that never really felt in doubt
2011: Both teams 12-3, UNC rolls to victory at the Smith Center
2012: Both teams 13-2, UNC pastes us at Cameron

Actually haven’t entered the finale with the RS title on the line since. We were already out of it in 2013, 2015, 2019, 2020, and 2023, and had clinched against Pitt in 2022.

This is depressing, K was as bad as the 1960s Lakers vs the Celtics, or the Buffalo Bills against anyone for half his Duke career with a chance to win the RS against this team. This statistic and failing to win a game against a higher seed in his last 28 years were by far the most demoralizing aspect of this timespan.

Scheyer please save us.

2001 Battier block game at the Dean Dome was the last time we won one of these, crazy. I’ll be so fucking happy if we win Saturday.

Scheyer please save us.

The higher seed thing bugs you that much? I think it's like 5 games or something. I mean, I hate each of the NCAAT losses, but I'd honestly have to look up which were the ones to higher seeded teams.

The defenses in like 2014, 2007, whatever year Angel Rodriguez played, and a few others were the most demoralizing aspect to me.

Scheyer please save us.

The higher seed thing bugs you that much? I think it's like 5 games or something. I mean, I hate each of the NCAAT losses, but I'd honestly have to look up which were the ones to higher seeded teams.

1994 vs Arkansas in the final
2003 vs Kansas in S16
2013 vs Louisville in E8
2016 vs Oregon in S16
2018 vs Kansas in E8

Under Jon
2023 vs Tennessee in r2

2018 vs Kansas is the one that really bothers me. We 100% should’ve won that game.

Agree with you on the Kansas game for sure. I think none of these bother me as much as Kentucky in 1998, UConn in 2004, West Virginia in 2008, and Arizona in 2011, which I guess were all lower-seeded teams. But maybe that's more about how much I liked those specific Duke teams.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom