Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Darius Garland

I suppose we could get a graduate transfer if there's one available. We're going to need as many guards as we can land.

I don't know how many years in a row I can make the argument that "this is the year for a grad transfer guard" before I just completely give up hope that we'll ever do it. But yes, we probably could've used one for this upcoming year and seems even more true for next year given the projected roster.

A lot of times, the grad transfer options just aren't that appealing. "Inefficient volume guy looking to get the attention of the NBA" is a frequent profile.

Of course that same description applies to many freshmen OADs.

I suppose we could get a graduate transfer if there's one available. We're going to need as many guards as we can land.

Would have been nice to land Makai Mason.

If we don't land emmitt Williams Reid Travis as a grad transfer for next season makes a lot of sense.

Travis is often hurt, but you are right - could be a terrific fit in that scenario.

We really need 1-2 out of O'Connell, White, Tucker, Goldwire to pan out as good role player starters as juniors or seniors. Whether it was the recruiting philosophy going in or not, what Duke has ended up with is a "stars and scrubs" roster similar to what people often try to put together in fantasy football. Some of those scrubs need to overachieve greatly for this to pay off. Otherwise it's nothing but a revolving door of OADs, the vast majority of which are going to be much worse than former 25-50 ranked upperclassmen.

Well, we're probably going to have an all-freshman backcourt even if it's not Jones and Garland. Trent by all accounts is OAD, and I expect him to leave even he's late first round. I guess O'Connell could play some too, but since he'll barely see the court this year that's not much better.

And personally, if we're going to have someone inexperienced there, I'd rather it be another PG, since that gives us two good ballhandlers. As SMTTEM has pointed out somewhere, the two-PG combo has not only treated Duke well but has been effective for several teams in recent years.

I know Trent wants to be OAD, but I don't think it's a slam dunk. He's probably only going to average 10-12 PPG, not an elite athlete. Could be looking at being a second round pick or he could be the leading scorer on the 2019 squad. Way too early to project that squad, but I wouldn't rule out Trent being back for 2019 if he's going to be the go to guy. Obviously, that would mean no Barrett. I don't think Reddish comes in and is a number one scoring option.

I hope Trent comes back, but I think the mentality will be more important than his draft position. Some guys want to go pro no matter what and Trent is supposed to be one of those. Look at Frank.

I don't see why Trent and Barrett would be mutually exclusive. Barrett is not an SG in college. There's far more overlap with Reddish.

There are numerous other examples outside the Duke program of the mentality to be OAD vs. on court performance to be OAD. I guess the confidence to land a pro spot somewhere helps. IMO there also seems to be less criticism of folks leaving after 1 year, regardless of draft spot.

I hope Trent comes back, but I think the mentality will be more important than his draft position. Some guys want to go pro no matter what and Trent is supposed to be one of those. Look at Frank.

I don't see why Trent and Barrett would be mutually exclusive. Barrett is not an SG in college. There's far more overlap with Reddish.

I don't think Barrett and Trent are mutually exclusive. I just think the team is more attractive to Trent without Barrett. Barrett is going to be option number one no matter where he goes.

Going back to Frank Jackson. With everyone I've heard and read, I think he wanted to stay at Duke. The problem was he and more importantly, the NBA viewed him as a PG and he wasn't coming back when it was clear Duval would be committing. He also wasn't going to be the top wing with Allen coming back, so it wasn't like he could put up 17 ppg playing next to Duval either. I think he and his camp saw it as his draft stock wouldn't move up after next season, forcing him into a Junior season. I think he decided to take the money now, rather than wait a year and go in a similar draft range because his role wouldn't be any different than his freshmen year.

WTB - I agree with your comments about Frank's projected production in 2017/18; I do think he would have been drafted higher in the 2018 draft, however. It will be a weaker draft and his abilities/combine skills would bump him up a bit.

In any case, Frank seems to have landed in a decent pro spot and will have an opportunity to take some steps forward in his game to secure a bigger contract.

Why does the grad transfer thing come up every year even though K has done it a grand total of 0 times?

I think it was well covered in the earlier posts that grad transfers aren't something we've ever done. I also think it's still okay to express interest in doing it.

If we landed Garland and Barrett do we think they'd both start? Obviously Barrett would. Jones, Garland, Barrett, Reddish, DeLaurier/Vrank. Feel like that would be K's perfect team. Two elite ball handlers, two wings that can switch on anything and then a dirty work big.

^that is what I could see happening.

They need to add a big man to that class for depth.

If we landed Garland and Barrett do we think they'd both start? Obviously Barrett would. Jones, Garland, Barrett, Reddish, DeLaurier/Vrank. Feel like that would be K's perfect team. Two elite ball handlers, two wings that can switch on anything and then a dirty work big.

I would prefer to have Garland off of the bench. My preferred line-up would be to have Tre Jones-R.J Barrett-Cam Reddish-DeLaurier-Vrankovic and play 2010 style defense. We would be an elite rebounding team, switch almost everything, and with Barrett and Reddish on on the perimeter I think we would have enough length to still defend the 3 pt line well. Garland off of the bench provides ball handing and instant offense, Tucker or O'Connell, whoever earns it, would be another shooter off of the bench, and we would need another big. It sounds like it could be Armando Bacot reclassifying, but maybe we could pursue Reid Travis or sign Emmitt Williams because I prefer both of those options. Jones-Barrett-Reddish-DeLaurier-Vrankovic with Garland, Emmitt Wiliams, Tucker or O'Connell as the 8th guy would be my ideal 2018-2019 roster. The roster would be filled out with Justin Robinson and potentially Armando Bacot reclassified as a redshirt.

Last edited:
Barrett . . . 100%.

Garland . . . depends on if we get Zion or not.

Tre-Barrett-Reddish-Zion-Javin/Vrank with Darius as the 6th man works for me.

I would prefer to have Garland off of the bench. My preferred line-up would be to have Tre Jones-R.J Barrett-Cam Reddish-DeLaurier-Vrankovic and play 2010 style defense. We would be an elite rebounding team, switch almost everything, and with Barrett and Reddish on on the perimeter I think we would have enough length to still defend the 3 pt line well. Garland off of the bench provides ball handing and instant offense, Tucker or O'Connell, whoever earns it, would be another shooter off of the bench, and we would need another big. It sounds like it could be Armando Bacot reclassifying, but maybe we could pursue Reid Travis or sign Emmitt Williams because I prefer both of those options. Jones-Barrett-Reddish-DeLaurier-Vrankovic with Garland, Emmitt Wiliams, Tucker or O'Connell as the 8th guy would be my ideal 2018-2019 roster. The roster would be filled out with Justin Robinson and potentially Armando Bacot reclassified as a redshirt.

I like all of your rotation/bench stuff, but that just seems like starting lineup that would be ugly offensively, to me. I'm cool with Tre/Garland in the backcourt, Barrett and Reddish as wings, and Javin at the 5. The CMon lineup.

Would be pretty wild to have 8 of the 10 starters over two years be OAD freshmen.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom