Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Darius Garland

I think CMon's lineup is more likely, knowing Coach K's preferences and tendencies.

G-Garland 6'2 180 fr
G-Jones 6'2 180 fr
W-Barrett 6'7 200 fr
W-Reddish 6'8 220 fr
C-Bolden 6'11 250 jr
Bench
G-Goldwire 6'1 170 so
G-O'Connell 6'5 185 so
W-Tucker 6'7 200 so
W-White 6'7 230 jr
F/C-DeL-6'10 230 jr
C-Vrank 6'11 250 sr

Is it a forgone conclusion that Bolden goes pro? I feel like if he comes back and we land Barrett/Garland then we're golden. I'd be more than ok with a Bolden/Vrank/DeL front court. Bolden goes pro after his junior year and we lose Vrank so we'd need 2-3 bigs in the 19 class. So the following year we could probably throw out Garland, Jones, O'Connell, a 1 and done, DeLaurier with Gold, Tucker, White and whatever other freshmen off the bench.

Take him out and probably put in DeL. We would probably need a post guy in 18. Vrank and Del the only true post players. Reddish, Tucker and White have the size to play the Duke 4 so we might be ok.

I think this is Bolden's last year @ Duke

When does the immediate transfer rule go into effect? I imagine Bolden wouldn't be here now if it existed.

I think Javin would be a perfect '5' in 2018-19 if Reddish and Barrett are here. 6'10" 230ish athlete with two long defender/rebounders on the wings. We'd get killed on the boards, but that happens regardless. Might as well overwhelm with speed, skill and quickness at every position.

Garland will visit Vanderbilt (Sept. 23-25), Kentucky (Oct. 13-15), Indiana (Oct. 20-22), and Duke (Oct. 27-29).

Winston Garland, the father of Darius, told Bruin Report in August that Darius “is leaning toward signing in November.”

On campus for the exhibition game against Northwest Missouri State.

So are we projecting Tre as 1 and done and Garland a 2-3 year player?

17-18: Duval\Allen
18-19: Jones\Garland
18-19: Garland\Goldwire
19-20: Garland\Goldwire

That would be pretty sweet to have some stability. I think 20 will be K's final season unless something wild happens. A Garland\O'Connell backcourt would be cool to see. Something like the old days of seeing some old guys in there.

Assuming Tre leaves after 1 season, look for the Devils to target Cole Anthony in '19.

So are we projecting Tre as 1 and done and Garland a 2-3 year player?

17-18: Duval\Allen
18-19: Jones\Garland
18-19: Garland\Goldwire
19-20: Garland\Goldwire

That would be pretty sweet to have some stability. I think 20 will be K's final season unless something wild happens. A Garland\O'Connell backcourt would be cool to see. Something like the old days of seeing some old guys in there.

I don't think you can count on any guard ranked in the top 25, let alone in the top 10 like Garland, to stay more than one year these days.

I think with Garland that he's so small it's more likely than most. He's also not the athlete that Frank Jackson was, for example. I think Garland will go the Tyler Ulis route. I think Ulis and Garland are very different players but their lack of size will hold them back. Garland is very slight but he's also more of a scorer, and at 6'1 or 6'0 or whatever size he is I don't think he'll go one and done. If he goes to a place like Vanderbilt for example I could see him even being a 3-4 year guy.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. He's 6'1" 170 and not an insane athlete. But it's as much about player expectations as it is draft stock. I'm not sure what his expectations are, but as I said earlier I think being surrounded by OADs like you will be at Duke these days only serves to artificially inflate expectations if you're a marginal NBA prospect.

I think it's somewhat about hedging fans' own expectations too -- we might as well expect certain guys to go OAD even if it's a bit more likely that they'd stay at least a second year. I'd still say Tyus Jones was, coming in and throughout the year, more likely to stay another year than go OAD, but he hit numerous clutch shots and led us to a title. There are some guards whose size and/or athleticism makes them more attractive pro prospects than their college performance may indicate (Frank Jackson and Duval both count here).

I'd say neither Tre nor Garland are in that group, ergo they're probably less likely to be OAD than other top 10 players. But we and the staff should assume they could and would go if things work out well.

What Rome said about being surrounded by OADs at Duke may also play a factor, for sure. I'm not sure that's happened too much yet at Duke (maybe Tyus?). At the least, it didn't push Bolden out the door as a freshman, or Grayson as an underclassman.

Like with Kentucky players, no matter where they're ranked within the top ~20, I assume anyone coming to Duke these days has their s6g6t6 set on being OAD. Same concept, somewhat different causation/correlation.

Have a buddy who follows Indiana Basketball and living in Indiana myself, shared this with me from their blog - from Evan Daniels FWIW

Do we think Indiana can be a contender? Garland grew up here. They have a decent shot at Romeo Langford who could be appealing, and Archie Miller is gaining momentum it seems in the recruiting trail.

The Quoted tweet is from another Scout who works in the midwest.

Attachments

• IMG_6339.PNG
    IMG_6339.PNG
    300.2 KB · Views: 40
Have a buddy who follows Indiana Basketball and living in Indiana myself, shared this with me from their blog - from Evan Daniels FWIW

Do we think Indiana can be a contender? Garland grew up here. They have a decent shot at Romeo Langford who could be appealing, and Archie Miller is gaining momentum it seems in the recruiting trail.

The Quoted tweet is from another Scout who works in the midwest.

From what I have read, IU would have to be considered a contender to land DG; Vandy and Duke probably remain the favourites at this stage.

I'm pretty sure IU is a contender. I predicted this a couple of weeks ago- Miller is red hot on the recruiting trail right now and is going to start reaching for bigger prospects like Garland and Langford now that he has several players already committed in 2018.

I will bet all $937 e-dollars I have that Garland ends up at Vanderbilt

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom