Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2016-2017

Giles-Amile-Jeter is nice, but Amile and Giles have a history of injuries. One injury to that group, and all of a sudden, it's a very thin front line, just like this past season. We need a fourth capable big, and Bolden is more than capable.

I hadn't given Virginia much thought since they finally lose so much in Brogdon, Gill, Tobey and Nolte, but yeah, they'll be good again. The lingering question over any Virginia team is whether Bennett can ever avoid having his season end in embarrassing fashion, given a game plan that is custom built for the underdog (slow tempo, allows many more open 3s than 2s). It should be a more small-ball dependent team next season, which could be good for them. They may have a serious problem at center, which can't be solved with a grad transfer unless they ditch a scholarship player first.

PG London Perrantes (SR, 10.1 BPM was higher than Grayson Allen's 9.7, could very well be the best overall player in the ACC if his 49% 3pt shooting carries over)
SG Kyle Guy (FR, 4-star, apparently elite at catch and shoot 3pt, but I'm not sure they need it in this spot)
SF Marial Shayok (JR, 44% 3pt but not very good at anything else; they might go small or with a freshman here instead)
PF Isaiah Wilkins (JR, could be the breakout player of the ACC, 11.4 BPM was best on Virginia)
C Austin Nichols (RS JR, tremendous 13% block rate in his last season at Memphis, but doesn't rebound enough for a center; the other options here are currently terrible)

G Ty Jerome (FR, 4-star)
G Darius Thompson (RS JR, 8.0 BPM was higher than Brandon Ingram's 7.5)
G Devon Hall (RS JR, mediocre but serviceable as depth)
F DeAndre Hunter (FR, 4-star)
F Jay Huff (FR, 4-star, at 6-10 185 with range, could be a solid stretch 4, but tooo skinny to hold up at center)
F Mamadi Diakite (RS FR, Bennett sure gets a lot of guys to redshirt; expect another dominant team in 2-4 seasons due to guys like this)
F Jarred Reuter (SO, barely played last season)
C Jack Salt (RS SO, barely played last season, but he is a large man)

Has Bennett ever had a shotblocker in the middle instead of a grinder?

That recruiting class is the best Bennett has had. By 2018-19 they should have a daunting lineup of upperclassmen who are actually talented but aren't good enough to be pros.

Question: is the packline defense somehow dependent on slow tempo? It doesn't seem like it would be. I wonder if Bennett would ever consider playing a more uptempo style if he had talent. Brad Stevens moved away from ugly-ball once he went to the pro level.

Packline forces your opponent to eat up clock to get a shot off, like Boeheim's zones.

If you recall Duke's win vs. UVa last year, Duke had a ton of run outs on both makes and misses, to try to get shots up before the defense got entrenched. It was a big key to the win.

I imagine Bennett would be a lot more married to his current defense since his father is credited for being one of the original architects of it.

This doesn't belong here but whatever, the '91 title game against Kansas is on TWCSports Channel. That was such a good fucking team. Also Roy looks weird with actual color in his hair. He had the power squat down pat even then.

It's amazing hearing all those people cheer for Duke. That doesn't happen too often anymore away from Cameron.

Shayok is a pretty decent defender, actually. Lousy offensive player, though - he cannot handle the ball one bit.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
I hadn't given Virginia much thought since they finally lose so much in Brogdon, Gill, Tobey and Nolte, but yeah, they'll be good again. The lingering question over any Virginia team is whether Bennett can ever avoid having his season end in embarrassing fashion, given a game plan that is custom built for the underdog (slow tempo, allows many more open 3s than 2s). It should be a more small-ball dependent team next season, which could be good for them. They may have a serious problem at center, which can't be solved with a grad transfer unless they ditch a scholarship player first.

PG London Perrantes (SR, 10.1 BPM was higher than Grayson Allen's 9.7, could very well be the best overall player in the ACC if his 49% 3pt shooting carries over)
SG Kyle Guy (FR, 4-star, apparently elite at catch and shoot 3pt, but I'm not sure they need it in this spot)
SF Marial Shayok (JR, 44% 3pt but not very good at anything else; they might go small or with a freshman here instead)
PF Isaiah Wilkins (JR, could be the breakout player of the ACC, 11.4 BPM was best on Virginia)
C Austin Nichols (RS JR, tremendous 13% block rate in his last season at Memphis, but doesn't rebound enough for a center; the other options here are currently terrible)

G Ty Jerome (FR, 4-star)
G Darius Thompson (RS JR, 8.0 BPM was higher than Brandon Ingram's 7.5)
G Devon Hall (RS JR, mediocre but serviceable as depth)
F DeAndre Hunter (FR, 4-star)
F Jay Huff (FR, 4-star, at 6-10 185 with range, could be a solid stretch 4, but tooo skinny to hold up at center)
F Mamadi Diakite (RS FR, Bennett sure gets a lot of guys to redshirt; expect another dominant team in 2-4 seasons due to guys like this)
F Jarred Reuter (SO, barely played last season)
C Jack Salt (RS SO, barely played last season, but he is a large man)

I think the ACC will be stronger in the middle and at the bottom, but a bit weaker at the top.

Outside of Duke, I assume the following teams will improve: VT, Pitt (if they keep their guys with the new coach), Clemson, BC (only because they can't get worse)

The following teams will stay about the same: L'Ville, Syracuse (terrific frontcourt, but they have no guards), State, Wake, FSU

The following teams will get worse: Miami, Virginia (still double bye quality), UNC, GT, Notre Dame. Obviously many open questions for UNC.

FSU made some preseason top 25 lists.

Miami might actually be pretty good.

rome8180 said:
FSU made some preseason top 25 lists.

Miami might actually be pretty good.

I would think Miami would have to be worse; hard to lose two senior guards and improve.

I was debating putting FSU on the improve list, although I saw that they are losing their best player (Beasley) and two solid senior contributors. They'll definitely have talent, but 3/4 of their best offensive players per Kenpom are either graduating or entering the draft.

Expected schedule updated with news that Duke's December MSG game will be against Florida on 12/6 in the Jimmy V Classic.

11/15 Kansas @MSG
11/19-20 Mohegan Sun tournament @Uncasville, CT- Penn State followed by winner of Cin/Rhode Island
11/29 or 11/30 B1G Challenge (tough road game).
12/6 Florida @MSG
12/10- UNLV @ Las Vegas

The Florida game at MSG is just a single one? I was under the impression it was a tournament, and the winner would play the winner of the Purdue game.

Yeah I thought that too, but it looks like the Jimmy V Classic is typically just a double-header rather than a four team tournament.

StopThePumpFakesShav said:
11/19-20 Mohegan Sun tournament @Uncasville, CT- Penn State followed by winner of Cin/Rhode Island
Gross. Why would Duke/K/the AD accept that as Duke's early season tournament?

I think it's fine. Not a heavy travel obligation. You have Kansas and a tough road game for the B10 challenge. Cinci and UF are fringe Top 25 teams. If you play 4 NCAA teams (two of which are likely to be top 2 seeds assuming we get best B10 team on road), that seems sufficient for out of conference.

I think the scheduling philosophy should be a bit different than perhaps it was a few years ago wrt these early season tournaments when (i) we didn't have the Champions Classic matchup every year against a usually great team and (ii) we had two less conference games (and the ACC never does us any favors re: scheduling difficulty).

I just don't think Duke needs to play in another tournament with a loaded field on top of what they know they'll already have. The last two years the opponents they had in these were Stanford/Temple ('15) and VCU/GTown ('16). While Penn State is not good, Cinci is probably better than any of those 4 opponents from prior years.

StopThePumpFakesShav said:
I think the ACC will be stronger in the middle and at the bottom, but a bit weaker at the top.

Outside of Duke, I assume the following teams will improve: VT, Pitt (if they keep their guys with the new coach), Clemson, BC (only because they can't get worse)

The following teams will stay about the same: L'Ville, Syracuse (terrific frontcourt, but they have no guards), State, Wake, FSU

The following teams will get worse: Miami, Virginia (still double bye quality), UNC, GT, Notre Dame. Obviously many open questions for UNC.

Their new coach is Kevin Stallings. It will be unfortunate for them.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom