Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2017-2018

He's sort of the anti-Vrank or anti-DeLaurier (and possibly with good reason).

I just thought it was nice to see him get excited about basketball.

At this point I don't think there's anything Bolden can do right. We're either overanalyzing his facial expressions in any video in which Bagley also happens to be in the same frame or criticizing his excitability in a 10 second workout clip.

He did bring it on himself by being so lazy and terrible, heh.

Trust me, you guys will be back in my camp if the season starts and it's the same shit we saw last year...

6'11, 250. Top 15 recruit. 8.3% defensive rebounding rate. There's really no other stat that can so perfectly capture how shitty and unmotivated he was. Frank Jackson, who largely guarded other teams' 1 or 2 guards, was 8.2%.

I think it's the combination of lack of production, inflated high school ranking, elite physical attributes, shitty motor, and seemingly negative body language that really make him such a whipping boy.

I think it's the combination of lack of production, inflated high school ranking, elite physical attributes, shitty motor, and seemingly negative body language that really make him such a whipping boy.

Yeah, that covers it well.

I will say that after listening to Scheyer's podcast with him last week, I did like him a little bit more. He didn't display a lack of motor in answering podcast questions, so there's that.

For me, it's the fact that K was too dumb to let him go to UK. Cal would either have gotten his ass to play and beaten UNC, or he would've stunk it up there and damaged recruiting/taken a scholly. Win/win. Only way we lose is to try and shoehorn him into a system that isn't right for him (though none may be) in an effort to stack the deck beyond all reason. Breathtaking - and not in a HS Scott Bracey way - mistake.

For me, it's the fact that K was too dumb to let him go to UK. Cal would either have gotten his ass to play and beaten UNC, or he would've stunk it up there and damaged recruiting/taken a scholly. Win/win. Only way we lose is to try and shoehorn him into a system that isn't right for him (though none may be) in an effort to stack the deck beyond all reason. Breathtaking - and not in a HS Scott Bracey way - mistake.

Yeah, that's a big part too. Almost made the same mistake with Knox in back to back classes as well.

There's a spectrum of OAD impact and the all-physical-potential-no-skill-somewhat-lazy type is at the absolute bottom of college contribution (Bolden, Drummond). It's incredibly damning that neither K or Capel can see this.

On the Bolden topic - we all have no faith in him, I being one of those people. However - FWIW this was once said.

Do we actually think this could somehow, someway still hold true? Or is he just totally ruined....

There's a spectrum of OAD impact and the all-physical-potential-no-skill-somewhat-lazy type is at the absolute bottom of college contribution (Bolden, Drummond). It's incredibly damning that neither K or Capel can see this.

I feel like there's a significant relationship between height and the all-physical-no-skill thing. If the scouts had to form separate Top 100 rankings for guys under 6'7" and guys that height or taller, I feel like the first set would be far more accurate in predicting actual performance.

On the Bolden topic - we all have no faith in him, I being one of those people. However - FWIW this was once said.

Do we actually think this could somehow, someway still hold true? Or is he just totally ruined....

He was also criticized by Adam Rowe and Andrew Slater for his lack of motor before he ever set foot on campus. I wonder if pro day made him try just a little harder?

The competition for playing time at the 4/5 spots should be fierce; shouldn't that alone be a motivating factor?

I think part of Bolden's problem was laziness and lack of motivation. He probably thought he'd start and pwn, when he struggled it probably killed his confidence. I also believe his ranking was a bit inflated. He has nimble feet for a big but he's pretty slow and doesn't have much lift at all.

I just don't get why you'd pick an offense that takes the ball out of Trevon's hands. Also, he talks about "versatile players that don't really have a position." It's not like we've got a bunch of Tatums or Ingrams out there. We've got a bunch of post players.

If I had to guess, he's making this about Bagley. Seems like a typical K smokescreen to me. We know this is going to be another team that averages 6 assists a game.

edited for punctuation

Coach K says they are working on a motion offense. Not sure why.

Interesting.

i think you guys are overcomplaining to be honest. I think we all agree that in recent seasons there has been too much iso basketball and not enough movement and passing. I don't think we are going to be exclusively running motion offense, but from what I took from hearing Coach K speak in that little DBP video was that he essentially wants less iso (which is what we all seem to want) and just more movement, more guys touching the ball.

as far as Duval, there shouldn't be any problems with him in a motion offense. Considering he can't shoot, it is best to have him seeking to score from a variety of different opportunities. Obviously transition and pick & roll. But teams can stop transition and stop p&r- especially since he can't shoot. Having a motion offense and getting Duval weakside on reversals would make it very simple to attack closeouts and have one on one going towards the rim with no help for his man.

Also, we don't just have "post players". Carter and Bagley are both very versatile. Bagley can attack off the bounce from the perimeter, and Wendell Carter Jr in high school was very adept at facing up and attacking on the dribble. I have yet to see him since he's really been slimming down and working on his perimeter skills, but I would imagine Carter Jr is now pretty comfortable attacking from the perimeter. They are "bigs" in the sense that they rebound and defend the interior well, but their offensive games are not similar to that of a true post player. Bolden would be a "post" player. Bagley and Carter Jr are certainly not and I really like the idea of moving them both around the floor a lot and letting them attack from different positions.

Last edited:

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom