Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2017-2018

The good news is this is what we've been begging for defensively: K being forced to tone down the m2m perimeter pressure due to a lack of guard depth, like in 2010. Unless Bagley and Carter are aliens/savants defensively, K can't possibly expect either of them to defend 30 feet from the basket while a terrible defensive rebounder, Bolden, is alone at the rim.

The bad news is K may be so far gone as a defensive coach that all poorly conceived schemes are possible.

K: "We need more guards in our next recruiting class so I can amp up the man to man. Go find the best available guards and work your magic."

Scheyer: "Hmm..."

This led to O'Connell and Goldwire. Thanks, Jon.

The good news regarding Trent not being ready means we have a decent shot at him returning. Would still need a big recruit in the class but that would be nice to have some returning experience.

The good news regarding Trent not being ready means we have a decent shot at him returning. Would still need a big recruit in the class but that would be nice to have some returning experience.

Nope, it's open season on players with flashes despite overall rawness declaring even when they don't have good draft stock now. You can thank Frank Jackson and his asshole dad for that.

SIAP but apparently Trent and DeLaurier were rotating in with the white jerseys as well. A good early sign (that may well mean nothing) for those of us that want to see him be a key part of the rotation.

I really can't imagine DeLaurier or Bagley at the 3, so I'm going to assume this will all change.

Nope, it's open season on players with flashes despite overall rawness declaring even when they don't have good draft stock now. You can thank Frank Jackson and his asshole dad for that.
How does the UK fan base feel about Daniel Orton?

I am so apathetic about this season outside of Grayson. I hope he goes Westbrook and that's the only outcome I care about.

I expect the relative ease and comfort of the schedule to make it appear that we're having a better season than last year, even though there's little reason to believe we will actually be better. Ultimately, our lob-and-putback-based offense will be no match for some 9-seed's 3-pointer-and-and-1 offense.

If we can play better defense than our last four teams, I'll consider it a win, ugly offense be damned.

I'm excited for this season. I think this is a very different Duke team than we are all accustomed to personnel wise and I'm interested to see how it all comes together.

I haven't been this excited about a Duke season since 2016!

For real, though: this team has 1st-round NBA talent at every position outside of center and I am extremely excited to watch it.

I'm excited to watch Tricky Tre glide to the bucket against inferior athletes. I'm excited to see Grayson be the Grayson from 2015, dominate, and go out with another title. I'm excited to see Bagley completely take over games and live up to his premium billing. I'm excited to see Wendell Carter Jr. aid Bagley in dominating the glass and paint. I'm excited to see Gary Trent Jr. grow into a top-notch scorer at the collegiate level and possibly blossom enough by season's end to merit 1st-round consideration. I'm excited to see if Javin has improved/developed somewhat of an offensive game outside of dunks. Finally, I am excited to see how much Marques Bolden improves by the end of the year, pending good health. Could he make 6 1st-rounders for Duke in the draft?

I would not take any other 7-man rotation in America. Shooting is a concern, but I think the advantages we'll have in rebounding and athleticism will offset it.

Only at Duke could people not be excited about a team starting 4 5 stars and a former Player of the Year with another 5-star coming off the bench.

What a program Mike Krzyzewski has built.

Watched a little bit while multitasking, but general thoughts from the 65% percent of the game I paid attention to

1) Grayson is really good. Made a bunch of shots, including tough ones. Had a great transition feed from Goldwire for a dunk on White. He scored on our guards and our bigs with ease.
2) No one else really stands out.
3) Freshmen seem okay from the line. While I was watching, I saw Bags go 2-2 (I think he shot a few more, too), Goldwire go 2-2, Trent go 1-2.
4) Duval seems less ready to control a college offense than I expected. His handle was good, and he scored well off some drives, but didn't really seem to be the head-up, organize-other-guys type yet. Also, he was mainly playing with Bolden and bench guys against mostly other starters, so that hurt him.
5) Carter was solid, Bagley was solid, neither was spectacular. They and Trent seemed too content to blend in, but maybe that's a function of the plays being called.
6) Vrankovic made the most of his time. Hit a jumper (maybe a 3), and finished on layups without getting much off the ground.
7) I still think the "Goldwire has to be much worse than Thornton because he's 300th and not 95th" is a dumb argument that will prove false. He looked fine, relatively steady, about like freshman Thornton. Shrug.
8) Tucker didn't play much -- didn't start the game -- but looked more quick, lean, and fluid laterally than I expected. He had a nice three off a screen.
9) White hit a three, but still looks more like a stretch 4 than a SF to me.
10) Bolden started, and was okay, but seemed to not play down the stretch.
11) Javin didn't play; Krzyzewski mentioned he has a strained quad or something and might miss two days.

Last edited:
I'm going to guess 27-3 for the regular season

Losses to:
Michigan State
At Miami
At Virginia Tech

If K doesn't win the regular season with this team and schedule, he never will.

I just don't see us not losing to NC State. We always lose to them when we play them at PNC, RBC, whatever the hell it is now.

I just don't see us not losing to NC State. We always lose to them when we play them at PNC, RBC, whatever the hell it is now.
If Gottfried could beat K at PNC, don't see why a real coach wouldn't.

I could hardly stand to watch the scrimmage on a two-inch screen. Why the fuck did they put this on Instagram and not any other platform? You can't access it on the desktop version of Instagram as far as I could tell.

That said, I thought Carter looked way better than Childress claimed. There must be something about his game that makes people underrate him because he clearly did a bunch of good shit.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom