Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

Jahlil Okafor had a 9-2.5 standing reach at the same event. The best rim protector in the world, Rudy Gobert, has a 9-7 standing reach.

I can't believe Bolden would stay at Duke more than 1 year with these measurables and with the way he's performing in workouts/scrimmages. The fears of him deterring Carter or Bamba from committing to Duke should be out the window. If Carter or Bamba ask K about Bolden, K can say, "He has a 9-4.5 standing reach, and he's good at basketball. He's going to be a lottery pick after one year, just like we plan for you."

At this point, I'm even questioning whether Bolden will basically get the Karl Towns minutes distribution rather than being a true bench guy that is strictly worse than Giles and Jefferson. If Bolden protects the rim, he gives Duke the one thing no one else on the roster has proven to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
deepdarkblue said:
Bolden announcement coming soon, I guess:

Reading between the lines here I think this means Derryck Thornton is coming back!

Waiting for K to announce a free scholarship. Waiting for ESPN to find some air time.

Slap the Floor said:
Apparently Bolden is no longer a sure thing. This kid was stringing Duke along the entire fucking time.

He was never a sure thing but confidence hasn't waivered on our end

l0qVn5Ls_400x400.jpeg

We knew going in this was always going to be a losing battle.

Jason Jordan @JayJayUSATODAY
2017 five-star wing @kevin_knox23 on his in-home with ‪#‎Duke‬: "It was a 10 out of 10."

A Knox commitment would eliminate Bamba, in my view, unless the staff and the recruits themselves are completely delusional and think a Knox-Carter-Bamba 3-4-5 can work.

In his old age we're seeing K's extreme version of position-less basketball.

The strategy should be for Jackson and Kennard to shoot as soon as they get across the half court line with Knox, Bamba, and Carter all fighting for offensive rebounds. 1.3 ppp, #1 offense.

If we can't sign all three of Knox-Carter-Bamba then the best case scenario is to sign Carter, and the sign Bamba. This way, Bamba won't go to Kentucky or UNC, and then Knox can sign with FSU.

We're losing Amile/Giles/Tatum/Bolden(?) to the NBA, and maybe Jeter to some PAC12 school. It's not like the roster spots wouldn't be there.

Not a fan of the signing though. Don't think his skillset is worth bringing him in for one year. And losing Bamba would be a crushing blow, too

Essentially our realistic projected post rotation is Jeter/Vrank/Obi before recruits, and who knows if Jeter or Obi will still be here.

Shit, between that and our possible loss of Grayson/Jackson/Matt, we're going to need something like a 5-6 man class.

Bamba isn't going to UNC. No one at that level is. Let's just nip that notion in the bud.

Not sure what Knox's value is to Duke as a non-shooting 4 who thinks he's a 3.

In regards to 2017, I would like to see us start with a 3 man foundation of: Wendell Carter Jr, Gary Trent Jr, and Mohammed Bamba. From there we need an additional 2-3 players. I think we need 2 more guards, and a wing player. Just looking at the list of players we have some level of interest in on TDD, I would feel comfortable with DJ Harvey. Outside of Trent Jr, we are targeting like zero other guards. I personally like Matt Coleman from Oak Hill.

I'm not sure if the Makai Mason rumor is true or not, but I would be down with him transferring to Duke. He is capable enough to play in the ACC and hold his own, and he would make for a nice bench piece/insurance option in 2017-2018.

Also, instead of offering scholarships to players who will likely never contribute at Duke (Obi, White, Vrankovic) I would much rather see those scholarships either be kept open, or, used on guys like Javin DeLaurier, who ranged somewhere from 40-90 in the rankings, and you know won't contribute the first couple of years, and they know it as well. This will keep guys in the program, as they expected not to play, so they won't transfer like Ojeleye and Thornton, and it will also give us guys that should be able to contribute as juniors and seniors.

One thing I am strong about right now regarding Duke is that we need to have more continuity. I'm fine with the one and dones, but we need to try and cut out the rest of the turnover. In the last few years the following players have transferred or been dismissed: Alex Murphy, Semi Ojeleye, Derryck Thornton, Rasheed Sulaimon. That isn't a terrible rate, but when you throw it on top of the one and dones (which we are now recruiting even more frequently year to year) we are barely getting a player or two out of a recruiting class to finish at Duke. Alex Murphy and Semi Ojeleye weren't great by any means, but it sure would have been nice to have had the extra depth on this seasons team when we were trotting out 6 guys a game.

rome8180 said:
Bamba isn't going to UNC. No one at that level is. Let's just nip that notion in the bud.

Not sure what Knox's value is to Duke as a non-shooting 4 who thinks he's a 3.

Sounds like Knox is absolutely killing people. If I had to guess, he's a stretch four who probably won't shoot 42% from three like Winslow, but might be more fluid attacking the rim. Sounds like he's a hell of a rangy defender and potentially a great rebounder. If Giles/Amile are the swappable 4/5 next year, I'd guess Knox would be a similarly excellent defender - more versatile, less rim protection - with a better offensive game. Would probably pair very well with either Carter or Bamba with Luke/Frank/Gary at the 1-3.

I think I'd rather have Bamba, but the chatter seems to indicate Knox is gonna be a star.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom