Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

I think anyone offered the G-League contract should take it but I selfishly really want Chandler, Griffin, Baldwin and Banchero at Duke.

One good thing I guess is that our recruiting is picking up more multi-year players. DJ Steward (sophomore), Wendell Moore (junior), Henry Coleman (sophomore), Mark Williams (sophomore), Joey Baker (senior) should all be on the roster and that's a nice nucleus to have.

Missing out on Griffin-Baldwin-Banchero-Chandler to the G-League would be a huge blow, but I don't think it would be devastating with the nucleus above. If Duke were able to quickly pivot and land commitments from Trevor Keels or Max Christie and a couple of other guys that team would still be top 10, IMO.

Sure doesn't seem as if Duke is doing much with Christie lately. Unfortunate because he'd be a really good fit at Duke.

Why the sudden flow of G-League money? I guess they didn't think Zion was worth it?

Who has rights to the players?

Why the sudden flow of G-League money? I guess they didn't think Zion was worth it?

Who has rights to the players?
I'm surprised the Ivy league schools didn't start offering kids half a million to play basketball. Their endowments wouldn't even feel it.

regarding Kennedy Chandler and the G-League:

He said his plan is to attend college but that he has discussed playing in the G League with his parents.

"I really don’t know right now," Chandler said. "So I’m going to keep on doing what I’m doing and talk to college coaches and see where I want to go for college."

FWIW, even though there are 8 people on 247 who are predicting Banchero to Washington, 2 people on Rivals.com are predicting he will go to Kentucky.

Patrick Baldwin is unanimously predicted to Duke on both 247 and Rivals. 6/6 on Rivals and 7/7 on 247.

Kennedy Chandler has 2/2 predictions to Duke on 247 from Watson and Rowe. Rivals has one prediction of him going to Tennessee, and that was logged in early March.

Have heard OAD is around until at least 2025.

This may mean we get K a bit longer if we can fend off the G League.

This is entirely speculative with a ton of moving and unproven parts, but I'm bored out of my mind during this pandemic, so what can it hurt? Let's say the following leave after this year: Jalen Johnson, Matthew Hurt, Patrick Tape, and 1 of Jeremy Roach/D.J. Steward. We would be returning 1 of Roach/Steward, Wendell Moore, Jaemyn Brakefield, Henry Coleman, Mark Williams, and Joey Baker. Those 6 guys can be the strongest returning core we've had since Grayson, Luke, and Amile came back.

Then you look at recruiting. The crown jewel, A.J. Griffin, is in the bag, and we are in fantastic standing with Patrick Baldwin. Kennedy Chandler has named Duke his dream school, and we are heavily invested in Max Christie per the absolute latest. The unknown in this hypothetical is Paolo Banchero. We could get him and it would be a bonanza like you've never seen before. I am fairly confident this team would be preseason number 1 regardless of Banchero:

For this exercise, let's choose Roach since he's the worse shooter of the two. Let's also assume Moore is an above average contributor in the Carrawell mold instead of a marginal do-nothing.

G: Roach, Moore, Chandler, Christie
W: Brakefield, Griffin, Baldwin, Coleman, Baker
C: WIlliams, possibly Banchero

That is a totally badass team with a lot of everything if you project out on the current trends.

Banchero comes and it's The Beatles. Banchero stays on WC and it's still the preseason number 1 in all likelihood. Opening up with Kentucky in Madison Square Garden will be all-time fun.

I think Moore will improve and leave after his second year.
I agree. I think there will be a mass exodus next offseason. As nice as that aforementioned scenario would be, I think Roach, Steward, Johnson, Brakefield, Hurt, and Moore will all be early draft entrants (in the case of Brakefield he either goes to the NBA or transfers but it’s hard to see him at Duke in a year as he will be over-recruited immediately).

It doesn't seem as if Duke is even recruiting Christie at this point so we should probably stop assuming he's coming to Duke. He just told Corey Evans the other day that he hardly hears from Duke anymore.

It always mystifies me when we do this with a seemingly nice fit. But we also don't know what happens behind the scenes. Maybe he just wasn't interested and the staff decided not to waste time and resources on him.

On the other hand, this same staff pursued Tony Parker and Shabazz Muhammed for two years.

I agree. I think there will be a mass exodus next offseason. As nice as that aforementioned scenario would be, I think Roach, Steward, Johnson, Brakefield, Hurt, and Moore will all be early draft entrants (in the case of Brakefield he either goes to the NBA or transfers but it’s hard to see him at Duke in a year as he will be over-recruited immediately).

I really think Steward is too small to be one and done.

I really think Steward is too small to be one and done.

If true, then good. He can shoot the shit out of it and we will be a monster team in 2021-22.

It doesn't seem as if Duke is even recruiting Christie at this point so we should probably stop assuming he's coming to Duke. He just told Corey Evans the other day that he hardly hears from Duke anymore.

Here's the interview. He said he doesn't hear from us as much, but that we're different, basically.

Hard to know how much to read between the lines here.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom