Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

Sounds to me like we're the really hot, popular girl and even though we're ignoring him right now Christie is infatuated and has a huge crush and is willing to wait.

Considering Christie's answer on the G-League (he fully intends to attend college) I have changed my tune on him and think we should be fully pursuing him. It would be nice to have him in the class even if we got commitments from Chandler, Baldwin and Banchero, but it would be even better to have him if one of our commits went to the G-League or we missed on one or two of them.

I think Moore will improve and leave after his second year.
I agree. I think there will be a mass exodus next offseason. As nice as that aforementioned scenario would be, I think Roach, Steward, Johnson, Brakefield, Hurt, and Moore will all be early draft entrants (in the case of Brakefield he either goes to the NBA or transfers but it’s hard to see him at Duke in a year as he will be over-recruited immediately).
Perhaps. Roach may be one and done. I think one of him and Steward will go pro. Williams is not ready but teams may see potential if he has a solid year. Hopefully Brakefield is willing to wait his turn. Coleman seems like a 3 or 4 year program guy. It will be interesting.

I think if Brakefield is OAD - then duke is a natty title favorite.

That would give us Hurt, Moore, Johnson, Brakefield as probable first-rounders in next year's draft.

In addition - multiple people have mentioned Roach/Steward as potential OAD as well. And then a few have mentioned Williams has the potential to go OAD.

That would have us at MAX 7 people enter the draft if that panned out. I just don't see it. I think we can all agree - Hurt, Moore, and Johnson are going to be gone. I just think there's going to be enough left for the remaining players to get into the first round. But im no expert. Just my thoughts.

I don't think Steward or Mark Williams are one and done. Both will be at Duke for their sophomore season, IMO.

I also think Roach isn't a surefire one and done. I like his game a lot, but nothing about his game necessarily screams "that's a one and done talent". I think that with Roach, he's the kind of guy that ideally would be a really good 2-3 year player, producing in all 3 years and making improvements each year.

However, due to his knee injury, I think that Roach will wisely go to the NBA after his freshman unless he just really underperforms next year. It makes sense for him to make money ASAP considering he has already torn an ACL, and when you factor in that he can always return to Duke and finish his degree, it's a no brainer.

We are fairly far out right now but ESPN, Bleacher Report, and Draftsite.com all have Steward top 25 right now for 2021. I think if he averages double-digit points per game and does so fairly efficiently (probably over 43% fg, 34% 3p) then he is as good as gone. I get that he is skinny but the kid can score the ball. He will get enough minutes next season to showcase himself for the NBA. At this point in time I expect him to be gone after one season.

If he shoots 34% from 3, not only do I believe he will have no real shot at being drafted after next season, I also believe Duke will be terrible next season.
I’m saying if he shoots over that, so let’s say something like 36-38%. Also, I highly doubt that Steward’s 3-point shooting numbers will that strongly dictate Duke’s overall success next year.

Also, the following players all shot between 34-36% from 3-point in a single season at Duke while averaging at least 10 PPG: Nolan Smith (2010-11), Jabari Parker (2013-14), Daniel Ewing (2004-05), Thomas Hill (1992-93), Jason Williams (1999-2000), Jayson Tatum (2016-17), Kyle Singler (2007-08), Corey Maggette (1998-99).

I just can't see 4-5 OAD on this Duke team. These are just my opinions, but here's what I see.

Williams seems very unlikely to be OAD. Part of it is how the NBA game is played now, which requires less raw big men, big men that either stretch the floor, can put it on the floor, or can play PNR while defending in space at a high level. I like Williams, he seems like a far better prospect than say, Casey Sanders or Javin. However, I think minutes will be very hard to come by next year, if the season even happens.

Coleman. If he's on first round draft boards next year, then Duke has had an incredible season. I really like Coleman and think he will have a solid bench role next year and be a player K "likes". However, he's still a bit of a project offensively and will probably be a guy who gets some hustle buckets.

Brakefield. Another guy who will see limited minutes despite having a more polished game than Coleman. The biggest obstacle to Brakefield playing and rising up draft boards is playing on a pretty deep Duke team. His competition for playing time will be Hurt and Moore, and those two will be playing 30 minutes a game each. Brakefield could be OAD if he has a Hurt-like freshman season on offense, but he will probably be the 5 or 6 option on offense this year.

Roach. I like Roach a ton, and he has a really aggressive game on offense. However, he may not even start! Goldwire is going to be a heady, steady option at PG, and K has to figure out how small he wants to play this year. Will we see Roach, Steward and Goldwire all start in a tiny 3 guard offense? Roach could be an explosive scorer who slides down to the 2, or maybe it doesn't matter who is the nominal 1 or 2 on this team. But Roach would need to really shoot it well from deep and be a mid double digit scorer to bolt, IMO.

Steward. If he lights it up from outside, he could bolt. That's it. Will he got the shots?

Johnson. Obvious OAD.

I see Hurt and Johnson gone next year. Roach and Steward are probably coin flips, but I don't see the elite athleticism coupled with the skill set. I even think Moore is back.

My hope is that Steward ends up being what we thought Matt Jones would be. He looks really, really skilled but probably not physically ready to go pro which would be great for us.

I'm promise I'm not obsessed with Markus Howard, but it's weird to imagine that he's a 4-year player and then a mid-second-round pick, but we expect Steward, who's about 2-3 inches taller but still way short and slight to be a pro 2-guard, to be OAD.

Also, the following players all shot between 34-36% from 3-point in a single season at Duke while averaging at least 10 PPG: Nolan Smith (2010-11), Jabari Parker (2013-14), Daniel Ewing (2004-05), Thomas Hill (1992-93), Jason Williams (1999-2000), Jayson Tatum (2016-17), Kyle Singler (2007-08), Corey Maggette (1998-99).

These players were not 6-1 165 and only one of them was drafted into the 3-pointer-obsessed NBA that has existed since the Warriors’ first title.

There is no chance Steward is a 1st round pick in today’s world if he isn’t at least a very good shooter.

Last edited:
If he shoots 34% from 3, not only do I believe he will have no real shot at being drafted after next season, I also believe Duke will be terrible next season.
I’m saying if he shoots over that, so let’s say something like 36-38%. Also, I highly doubt that Steward’s 3-point shooting numbers will that strongly dictate Duke’s overall success next year.
Duke was #301 in 3pt attempt rate last season, and Duke was #327 in 3pt% the season before. Both of those numbers are embarrassing, and any team’s overall success is significantly affected by being unwilling to shoot 3s and/or terrible at making 3s.

If Steward plays a lot of minutes, takes a lot of shots, and has a high 3pt attempt rate and 3pt%, he would certainly have a strong effect on Duke’s overall success, given how lacking Duke has been in shooting recently.

I would think Roach's injury history would play a significant role in his decision-making, i.e. he'd prefer to go if possible.

Who the hell knows, though.

Quinn Cook is a small 6'1 and his senior year he shot 38% from 3 and 85% from the FT line while having actual point guard skills and went undrafted.

Steward is 6'0, 6'1, and he's very small and doesn't have a big wingspan. He could shoot 40% from 3 and I don't think he's going to get drafted. He would have to be just exceptionally skilled and have off the dribble shooting skills like a Markus Howard to even be considered.

I think he's a lock to be at Duke for multiple years.

edit: I don't even think he starts next year. I think Goldwire will start ahead of him.

Duke is selling Chandler on Roach being one and done. Supposedly Chandler is very tight with Banchero. Duke is pushing a Chandler, Christie, Griffin, Baldwin class. Sounds perfect to me, though maybe someone should inform Christie of that.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom