Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Durham, Fuck Yeah

Ate at the Saltbox for lunch, was delicious. Had a flounder roll and we shared hush honies and a potato fish chowder soup. Have a reservation for Mateo's tonight, and then tomorrow going to Nana's tacos for lunch before the game and probably Cookout after the game since it's cheap.

Ate at Mateo tonight- a really excellent restaurant and I thought the price points were pretty cheap with the quality of food you're getting.

Did you get the bone marrow? Always get the bone marrow,

I absolutely loved the time I spent in Durham. It is a wonderful city and Duke has a beautiful campus. The food is very good and diverse. We ate ate Elmo’s Diner, the Saltbox, burger Bach, Mateo, nanas tacos and Numa.

The place I liked the least was Numa. There was nothing wrong with it and I actually liked the concept, but I live in a town which is (or almost) half of an Asian population, and we have so much quality Asian food that my standards are pretty high.

Also, the interactions I had with people in Durham were nice. Everyone seemed warm and friendly, a drastic change from the usual cold and aggressive vibes often given off in New Jersey.

Duke Gardens was sweet.

Namu? The Korean place? It has a cool setup. Only eaten there once, but I liked it. The outdoor space there is great.

So theres a lot to read through on this - so can any local(s) provide some suggestions for good food?

Will be in Durham area for Duke/Indiana game (11/26-11/28)

Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner ideas.

Thanks!

Hi-Wire open in the Golden Belt. Space looks great, too.

So theres a lot to read through on this - so can any local(s) provide some suggestions for good food?

Thanks!
Read the thread. That's why it's here.

Thanks!
Read the thread. That's why it's here.

Eating: moderate - cheap places in Durham that are great
Saltbox - great seafood brought in daily from the NC coast. Open from lunch until they run out.
La Cacerola - great Mexican food that delivers. Get the shrimp in garlic/herb butter with guacamole salad and plantains. Thank me later.
Thai Café - As good as Asian food gets in the Durham. If you want better Asian food, you pretty much have to go to Cary.
Burger Bach - Can attest to their Lamb Burger. Tasty. Good beer selection.
Pizzeria Toro- Don't know how I overlooked this, considering this is usually my first meal when I come back from AFG.
Nanataco- You should definitely do this. Get one of the spicy Mexican chocolate milkshakes (blend it with the roasted plantain)
Luna Rotisserie and Empanadas - Can't believe I forgot this place. Downtown. Pulled Jackfruit / plantain sandwich. Great empanadas.

Brunch:
Scratch- Supposedly a great brunch place. Haven't tried it.
Monuts- For the morning after your game before you leave. Get a donut, but also don't sleep on their breakfast sandwich game.
Rise - Never been, but others swear by them. I've heard their biscuits are even better than their donuts.
Foster's Market - Market with lots of good food options. Kind of brunch/lunch/bfast. Lite bourgeois shopping.
Parker & Otis - Basically like Foster's, only it's in Brightleaf Square near downtown.
Gugelhupf- Good continental bakery.

Fancy Feasts:
Nana's - Ya know, I've been to some mighty fine places in my time. This one's actually a pretty good value.
Watt's Grocery - Never been. Supposedly great.
The University Club- Never been. Members only.
Yamazushi Japanese - Never heard of it, but apparently an incredible place and an amazing experience.
Panciuto - Farm to table southern Italian food? Gets great reviews. Is in Hillsborough.

Desserts:
The Parlour - Great ice cream. Get the salted caramel.
Locopops- Reasonably famous artisan popsicles.
Mad Hatter's - Café with good bakery.
Francesca's - Gelato and bakery. Not what it once was, but still good.

Drinking:
Alley Twenty-Six- Fun concoctions. With alcohol!
Fullsteam Brewery
Surf Club - Pretty nice place to knock back a few. thewiseben/Rome approved.
Motorco - Music. Foodtrucks are here most evenings.
Geer Street Garden - Also really good food every meal other than Brunch.
Bull City Burger and Brewery - Decent burgers, better beer.
The Federal- surprisingly good sandwiches and garlic fries.
Bar Virgile - another fancy cocktail place.

Ate at DeeLuxe a couple weeks after opening. It was pretty underwhelming. The Chicken Sandwiches were good, but nothing great, and there isn't a spicy chicken option. The sides were all pretty bleh and the fries were garbage. Hopefully they'll improve as they age, but I'll be avoiding another visit for a while.

Other Restaurants:
Tonali is a good Mexican place that isn't Tex-Mex.
Guanajuato is a very casual latin american place. Good tacos, weird ingredients. It helps if you speak spanish.
Refectory Cafe is good for Brunch. Their lemon-ricotta pancakes are incredible.
Himalayan Nepali Cuisine is very tasty, but it's in Cary.

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom