Player Frank Jackson

ZackM said:
You guys are literally crazy if you think Grayson can jump as high. The "defying gravity" and "illusion of extreme vertical" is actually just him jumping really fucking high.

I do not think Grayson jumps as high, or as easily as Frank. Grayson is a white.

My favorite is when someone says something like "Player X doesn't jump as high, he just has better hang time."

It's shocking how many times I've seen some variation of that.

It's because gravity doesn't apply to some players.

Jackson and Allen both seem like very good but not great jumpers. Jackson's dunks look much cooler because be pulls his legs up, creating more separation between him and the ground.

In terms of how high their heads actually get, I don't think either of them are in the Maggette/Dahntay/Miles category, although they're the two shortest players in the set, so it's harder to tell.

ZackM said:
My favorite is when someone says something like "Player X doesn't jump as high, he just has better hang time."

I think this is actually a real phenomenon they are just describing it poorly.

The reason is that some people have much better balance and body control than others, so a larger portion of their time spent in the air they are actually balanced enough to make a basketball play, whereas some players don't have this balance and they are only capable of making a play while in the air for a a much shorter time.

So when people say player A has more hang time than player B, what they mean is that Player A has more time to make a play in the air than player B, so it feels like he is in the air longer.

LastHearth said:
ZackM said:

The reason is that some people have much better balance and body control than others, so a larger portion of their time spent in the air they are actually balanced enough to make a basketball play, whereas some players don't have this balance and they are only capable of making a play while in the air for a a much shorter time.

So when people say player A has more hang time than player B, what they mean is that Player A has more time to make a play in the air than player B, so it feels like he is in the air longer.

Lot's of players don't make plays on the way down, thus not using all of their hang time.

rhfarmer said:
LastHearth said:
ZackM said:

Lot's of players don't make plays on the way down, thus not using all of their hang time.

True, and it's because players who have good balance in the air don't need to prepare for the landing as early as the player who don't.
The players with poor balance have 2 choices, they can either cut short their playmaking hangtime window, or they can sacrifice their bodies and risk the bad landings and not cut short their playmaking window. I think Grayson is in this 2nd group, which is why he is often crashing to the ground hard. I always worry that one of these days he's going to get seriously injured.

Frank Jackson looks to me like he has terrific balance.

There's also how far out someone jumps from. That would make it look different, even if the peak height was the same (and in reality the parabolic arc would be longer, meaning the jump would be greater).

But to be clear, and to appease Zack, I'm not saying and would never say that anyone falls slower than anyone else. But I do think there are styles of jumping that make it appear that way.

I get what you're saying, Rome. G. Henderson was much like Grant Hill in that regard. It isn't that they defy gravity as much as they defy our expectations as to when they should begin their descent.

I'm not going to try to find the highlight but there was a time where Hill took off from the lane with the purpose of executing a finger roll at the rim. At the last second, he's like "Fuck it" and dunks it instead. Almost as if he defied his own expectations as well.

There's that one two-handed dunk Hill did where he took off from about 8 feet out in traffic, brought the ball down to avoid a block, and went back up with it. I find it much more impressive than the Kansas oop dunk (though that one had the circumstances of the game in its favor).

The white made a shot today on the way down, thus making full use of his hang time.

rhfarmer said:
The white made a shot today on the way down, thus making full use of his hang time.

But nearly half of his body was in full contact with the defender. This created friction, "drag", slowing his descent, giving him more than his native hang time. If not for that contact, he would have dropped like a rock - just like all hypergravity-filled whites do.

Thanks to you assholes, I'll be looking for him instead of hot coeds every time camera pans in on student section.

Chat users

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil