Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Isaiah Evans

Is that 4 3-pointers off the catch in the video bdotling posted? I can get behind the idea of Evans as a 6'7" shooting guard.
A friend and I were discussing how good he'd be as an off-the-catch shooter. I was saying I thought he'd be more of an off-the-dribble guy while Harris and Kon would likely be more comfortable off the catch than he is. It would obviously be cool if he could do both.

To add to that, I think his ability to create off the dribble may be legitimately useful. We should have several guys who will be good off the catch (Foster, Harris, Kon, possibly Schutt, possibly Roach or McCain). As much as I'm not the biggest fan of isolation scoring, it may be something we can benefit from. I'm unsure how good Flagg will really be at that. It's useful when you play a good defense that is gumming up the works and preventing you from playing the "beautiful game" version of basketball I think Scheyer prefers.

To add to that, I think his ability to create off the dribble may be legitimately useful. We should have several guys who will be good off the catch (Foster, Harris, Kon, possibly Schutt, possibly Roach or McCain). As much as I'm not the biggest fan of isolation scoring, it may be something we can benefit from. I'm unsure how good Flagg will really be at that. It's useful when you play a good defense that is gumming up the works and preventing you from playing the "beautiful game" version of basketball I think Scheyer prefers.
It's nice having multiple guys who can drive, but that's the part where I worry about Evans against college defenders. I like Knueppel more here for the driving, although I don't expect him to be a great finisher at the rim. To me, Evans's first step isn't that fast, and his dribble seems a little high at times, but maybe I haven't seen the right clips.

Edit: I guess I'll watch the longer vid deepdark posted above

Last edited:
It's nice having multiple guys who can drive, but that's the part where I worry about Evans against college defenders. I like Knueppel more here for the driving, although I don't expect him to be a great finisher at the rim. To me, Evans's first step isn't that fast, and his dribble seems a little high at times, but maybe I haven't seen the right clips.

I think he has the highest self-creation potential of anyone on the team. It's not the driving ability. It's the length and ability to shoot off the dribble.

Shorter Ingram is a facile comparison, but I also think it's an accurate one. I think he'll bring some of the same skills, only not as good because he's three inches shorter. I don't see anyone else on the team that I'd trust to create something out of nothing unless Roach returns. Flagg is touted as that kind of guy on offense, but I don't think he is.

I think he has the highest self-creation potential of anyone on the team. It's not the driving ability. It's the length and ability to shoot off the dribble.

Shorter Ingram is a facile comparison, but I also think it's an accurate one. I think he'll bring some of the same skills, only not as good because he's three inches shorter. I don't see anyone else on the team that I'd trust to create something out of nothing unless Roach returns. Flagg is touted as that kind of guy on offense, but I don't think he is.
So Flagg is not an exceptional shooter, and he is not a shot creator. So he's just an athlete who can defend?

So Flagg is not an exceptional shooter, and he is not a shot creator. So he's just an athlete who can defend?
He's one of the best defensive prospects ever. And just because I said he's not Brandon Ingram as a shot creator doesn't mean he's hopeless.

Last edited:
I think people who are expecting 20 ppg from Flagg are going to be disappointed, that's all I'm saying. I would expect something more like 13 pts/8 reb/4 ast/3 blk/2 stl.

Also, a huge part of shot creation is actually having the threat of a jump shot. So if he suddenly starts shooting 40%, a lot of this changes.

Maaaaan Evans is a problem! Who was the last player Duke had that played with that type of tenacity/intensity?!

Cooper, him and hopefully Jared will be having everyone hating Duke next season!

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom