Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Movies

I've heard the opposite of what DSon said: that the Han character bore no relation to Harrison Ford, but that Glover at least nailed all the mannerisms. I may see it eventually. Maybe I'm just old and jaded, but all the new ones have seemed to be missing some key magic compared to the originals. They seem made in a factory (full of very competent workers, but still a factory).

I've heard the opposite of what DSon said: that the Han character bore no relation to Harrison Ford, but that Glover at least nailed all the mannerisms.
Anyone saying that is suffering from preconceived biases. Glover is huge right now and super cool, just like Billy Dee was. So from the moment he was cast everyone was talking about how perfect he was. In reality, he was good, but didn't have that sort of suaveness that Lando had in the originals. At his worst moments he comes off as a comedic impersonator.

Alden, on the other hand, was trashed immediately when he was cast for simply not being Harrison Ford. He was too short. His voice was too high. His chin was too pointy. Literally anything you could imagine. So he had a huge uphill battle. In the end, I thought he totally owned the role. People are right that he's not Harrison Ford, but for me, he absolutely is Han Solo. His comedic timing, his mannerisms, his speech...all on point.

I think I agree with your assessment of Glover as Lando. Something felt just a little off sometimes and I picked up on his “impersonation” tone more than I wanted to.

I thought the movie was fine. It was really enjoyable with no expectations. Id watch it if it was on TV or something.

6/10

i thought "hereditary" was amazing.

it's not a perfect movie but it combined some of my favorite elements from the last 10 years of the genre.

It wasn't as bad as Mother but not far behind. Mother was a much smarter film but not done well imo. This was so easy to predict, not scary at all, plot holes, etc. it could've been great but it was a let down imo.

Incredibles 2 is getting great reviews, but I can’t imagine spending $100 to bring a family out to watch a cartoon.

We went to see it this weekend and it was great. It was fun, lighthearted and even though you could see the twist coming, it didn't really damage the movie in my eyes. Solid B+ fun.

Didn't have much interest in MoviePass, because I don't think seeing a movie in a non-Dolby setting is worth any amount of money anymore. If I'm going to not be lazy and go to a theater, I'm going to spend $20/ticket to see the highest quality image with Dolby sound and recliners, rather than ~$5/ticket to not have any of that. This I will definitely get.

I enjoyed Hereditary a lot. It skirted the line between art film and mainstream horror, which is the perfect place for me. There were flaws - some plot holes, some moments of bad acting, some dialogue that could have been better - but they were outweighed for me by the movie's strengths.

I think what I liked best was that it could be interpreted in a couple ways and that it didn't come down too hard on either one. There are also a ton of symbolic layers to unpack - in the ending, in the art form Collete's character practices, etc. I know I've seen a good movie when my girlfriend and I can spend a few hours after discussing it. You can't do that if there's nothing to discuss.

Plus, the "inciting incident" of the movie was genuinely shocking in a way you almost never see.

I interpreted the events of the film as being at least half in Toni Collete's head. Or if not in her head, then readable as metaphor or allegory. And at the end, we see the madness finally pass from her to fully inhabit her son. That's the meaning of the crown that's put on his head. He's inherited his birthright.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom