Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pomeroy

Fucking incredible.

Just think how good the zone would be if we had, you know, actually practiced it as our primary defense for the majority of the year. We're still not communicating that well on the perimeter between the guard and wing defenders, and it's still been insanely effective.

Last edited:
Fucking incredible.

Just think how good the zone would be if we had, you know, actually practiced it as our primary defense for the majority of the year. We're still not communicating that well on the perimeter between the guard and wing defenders, and it's still been insanely effective.
Think about how K blew our chance at a 1 seed by not playing it earlier. Probably could have been the #1 overall seed. Now K will just have to try to do something he hasn't done as a 2 seed or lower in 27 years. Instead he will do something he has done frequently as a 2 seed -- lose in the 2nd round.

Years from now, "what if K had switched to zone before St. John's?" may join the other great "what ifs" in Duke history, alongside "what if Livingston hadn't gone pro?" and "what if Kyrie Irving's father wasn't a douchebag?". (That last one was for Childress.)

At their worst, Duke’s defensive efficiency was just north of 100 ppp. It’s insane that they’ve been able to shave off 3.5 points off that number in 5 games.

It’s also interesting that last year Duke’s defense finished 46th at 96.8 ppp whereas this group is now at 18th with 96.6 ppp.

So defense is worse this year in college basketball as a whole. Yet UVA has the greatest defense of all time. Interesting.

You can see conference only efficiency but it only has raw, not adjusted. Duke's raw offensive efficiency in ACC games is 115.1. I'm guessing on an adjusted basis it's in the low 120s- certainly hasn't been as great in the second half of the ACC season as it had been early on. Naturally, I blame Duval.

Anyway, Duke is ranked #2 in conference only raw offensive efficiency. UNC is first at 116.6.

After being down near last in conference only raw defensive efficiency, Duke is now #2. Obviously UVA is #1 by a wide margin.

Given how stubborn K is, I am honestly just relieved that he made the switch to zone when he did, rather than waiting until a second round tournament game where we're down 15 early in the second half.

Though, if Duke doesn't play zone as their primary defense to start next season, it would be disgraceful.

Do we attribute the change to one of the assistants, or are we forced to admit that maybe K, is still capable of making an occasional adjustment?

Years from now, "what if K had switched to zone before St. John's?" may join the other great "what ifs" in Duke history, alongside "what if Livingston hadn't gone pro?" and "what if Kyrie Irving's father wasn't a douchebag?". (That last one was for Childress.)

'preciate it. Also could add "What if mean Seth Curry and Andre Dawkins had more willingly embraced our least-efficient player leading the team in usage in 2012?"

I fully expect m2m to be the primary defense to begin next season, and I'm not just saying that in the usual "K is trash" way. He should try it extensively against offenses that can kill a zone, through non-conference play. They might need to use it later if zone isn't working against a particular team, though of course if that's the case, there's probably no way to salvage a win.

Ideally, the m2m will be barely functional enough to use as a sudden change out of a timeout or something ("barely functional" the best case scenario for K's m2m going forward in his career). Once it's clear again that the m2m is a sub-100 defense nationally, at least now we know K will decide to use the best defensive system in the country in its place.

You can see conference only efficiency but it only has raw, not adjusted. Duke's raw offensive efficiency in ACC games is 115.1. I'm guessing on an adjusted basis it's in the low 120s- certainly hasn't been as great in the second half of the ACC season as it had been early on. Naturally, I blame Duval.

Anyway, Duke is ranked #2 in conference only raw offensive efficiency. UNC is first at 116.6.

After being down near last in conference only raw defensive efficiency, Duke is now #2. Obviously UVA is #1 by a wide margin.
Given the fact that UNC is 5th in the country in adjusted offensive efficiency at 123.0, it seems like our offensive efficiency is still probably a respectable top 5 nationally in conference only.

Duke is .5pts from having a top 10 defense. Of course .5pts the other way drops us to 17-18 but a good outing Saturday and we end the season with a 2nd ranked offense and a 9-10th ranked defensw which is mind blowing.

Nova looked pretty weak tonight. Offense dropped 1.3pts but we still trail them by 2.5. We'd need another performance like this against Georgetown while we light up UNC to catch them.

They're defense did move up 9 spots to 24 by lowering .9pts. SH got decent looks but were just really dumb.

You'd have to say the 3 most balanced teams are Nova, Duke and Michigan State and honestly, I think the champion comes from that group. I think Virginias lack of offense will get them in the elite 8ish. Virginia, Purdue and Kansas are in the next tier and Id be shocked if the champion didn't come from those 6 teams.

Teams I want to avoid outside of the top seeds: Kentucky, Michigan, West Virginia, Norte Dame, Butler and Florida.

I think Kentucky and Michigan will do some damage relative to their seeding number. Matchups mean everything but I'd be pretty surprised if those two guys weren't in the sweet 16.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom