Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pomeroy

Offense dropped to #3. But Villanova's offense is also dropping, so the separation isn't too great. Purdue is minimally ahead of us.

I wonder what our Oeff was for the 2nd half. I don't feel like looking it up.

That 2nd half D was fantastic

It really was.

One of my absolute favorite things of this season is just watching so many people in complete denial about our zone defense. People are fucking whining after every single game about how the other teams missed so many wide open shots. These shots they are talking about are primarily the mid-range shots we want them to take, but the casual CBB fan has absolutely zero understanding of why Duke wants teams to take mid-range jumpshots.

There are plenty of UNC fans upset because they believe they should've won, but just missed open shots in the 2nd half. It's amazing how people are rationalizing our defensive rise.

It's a zone that pushes out pretty far and actively challenges threes. If you have really good ball movement, you can get open threes on the corner against it- UNC was able to do this a few times. That's the weakness, but generally it's been good at limiting high quality attempts.

I'm not sure season-long Pomeroy numbers are all that helpful at this point for Duke, a team that seems to reinvent themselves every two weeks.

In the last 25 days, Duke has completely overhauled their defensive scheme, played 4 games without their highest usage player, moved their starting pg off the ball, returned their highest usage player, and now seemingly will move their starting pg back to the primary ballhandler spot.

The defense is actually the big constant here and I think we can say that even if there is some negative three point regression, it's a very good college basketball defense. But I can't get hung up on whether we get passed by Purdue or jump back in front of them or whatever. It's not really meaningful from a predictive standpoint when there's such uncertainty from half to half. In the last five halves before tonight's second half, I'd imagine Duke was somewhere between 70 and 100 in adjusted offensive efficiency. They follow that up with a 1.4 in tonight's second half.

Obviously very positive, but who the fuck knows what the next game brings.

KenPom is legit - no question about it, but this Duke team is wildly inconsistent. When you are looking at the mean product over an entire season the lows are masked by the massive highs.

What I mean... Duke is wildly inconsistent and very vulnerable in the tournament because of it.

KenPom is legit - no question about it, but this Duke team is wildly inconsistent. When you are looking at the mean product over an entire season the lows are masked by the massive highs.

What I mean... Duke is wildly inconsistent and very vulnerable in the tournament because of it.

Vulnerable yes but the ceiling is the roof also!

Last edited:
Reactions: TBC

Agree that we're inconsistent. I believe that primarily has to do with having such a freshman-heavy team. Just gotta hope we actually learn from that first half of the unc game.

Jay Bilas is even referencing KenPom and the rate of teams with Top 10 offenses and defenses making the Final Four on the air now. :mindblown: He definitely reads this site. :smilingimp::wink::smilingimp:

Last edited:

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom