Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Randomopolis

My water heater stopped working last night. Can't get replacement parts until tomorrow. Cold showers are the fucking worst.
Welp, the replacement parts didn't fix the problem. Had to buy a new one and convince a local plumber to install it 20 minutes later. Good times.

YouTube has been down for about an hour. This was prophesied in the Bible as the beginning of the end of days.

YouTube has been down for about an hour. This was prophesied in the Bible as the beginning of the end of days.
It's been brutal. Youtube is my primary entertainment medium. I could be watching videos of people forging swords and axes right now.

Youtube TV going out in the middle of the game was a crime against humanity and against me personally.

Time to buy a lottery ticket, I guess. When the jackpot rises above a billion, it just seems silly to not drop a couple of bucks on a quick pick.

Yes. First Google result says odds of winning Mega Millions are 1 in 302,575,350, so the expected value of a ticket is pretty close to 100% now. Game theory factors come into play, which some Econ Ph.D.s could probably calculate pretty closely (i.e., odds of winning the full pot go down as more people realize the expected value is really good and decide to buy tickets now). Also, this is like the opposite of an insurance premium, so there’s some emotional utility value in not playing. But based purely on the amount you would win for the full pot after accounting for present value and taxes (roughly 1/4-1/3 of the jackpot), it’s no longer inarguably dumb to play the game at $1.6 billion.

I’ll throw $20 at it.

So if I form a church and win the lottery, can I claim the money in the name of the church and pay no taxes on it?

Problem is now Mega Millions will sell so many tickets there will probably be multiple winning tickets sold.

So if I form a church and win the lottery, can I claim the money in the name of the church and pay no taxes on it?
I will follow you to The Disciples Forum.

There will be a place for you in the front office, Brother Nukem! Or maybe I'll just set you up with a franchise.
Can I franchise a church? Can my church just be The Holy Church of the Blessed Winning Lottery Ticket? I'm really not interested in paying taxes and so I have great appreciation for the fact that I can just make up a religion and it magically protects me from paying taxes, ever.

QRsURmS.gif

Reactions: aiw
My water heater started flashing dire error codes this morning. Rheem says it has to be replaced and they'll have a repair technician contact me "within 24 hours". It's 100% under warranty, but it could be multiple days until they get somebody over here to replace it. I can go get a new one right now and replace it myself and just eat the expense but, wtf good is a warranty if I do that?
I think I'm going to be a stubborn ass and live with no hot water, thereby saving myself 600-ish dollars and owning the corporatists.

That's what I would do. At least it's not December. Our building didn't have hot water for several days, and while it sucked, you can totally deal with it. Two-minute showers, only showering every other day, etc.

I can go to another house to take a shower, I just prefer this one. This one has the $5 shower head that will etch glass, I like that. I can take the shower head off and use it in the shower at my other place, but that seems like a lot of trouble. So I'm just going to bitch about it and wait for the warranty work to take place.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom