Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rome's Harry Potter Live Blog

Lol. I read the Rita Skeeter Quidditch piece and a bunch of Ginny Weasley pieces as well.

You can easily see how the Rita Skeeter piece would set stuff up for another book. I kind of hope she doesn't write one, though, since she'd either have to bring back Voldemort somehow or create another less powerful/compelling nemesis. I'm sure the most interesting part of it for me would simply be their daily lives, not whatever magical thing happened.

So since Harry Potter's parents died in 81, that would make him my age (born in 1980). He's supposed to be 34 in the epilogue, which means it either happened this year or last. Wait, isn't his birthday during the summer? Maybe I am him. I have glasses and unruly hair...

I don't know about any more books, but Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is being made into a movie.

Eddie Redmayne was cast as Newt Scamendar so it's going to be astounding.

I want her to write more books in that world, but not about those characters (so as to preserve the perfectness of that series).

My first thought is something based in the ministry of magic. Perhaps a young auror teams up with an aging mentor wizard and help fight a new threat. However, I think the biggest non-character feature of the series was the warmth and comfort and awe of Hogwarts. "family/friends/love" was the backbone of the series and Hogwarts provided so many opportunities to reinforce that.

I would not be upset at all if she started another series set at Hogwarts. Not sure what the external threat would be. Maybe wizards are starting to lose their powers and nobody can figure out why.

Let's change this thread into Potter Fan Fiction.

Ministry of Missing Wizards has seen a rash of disappearances and are flummoxed. One of the missing persons is a Hogwarts student, and friend to our protagonist (a Weasley). He and his friends break all the rules in an effort to find their missing friend, and in doing so, stumble into a world they never expected.

Hint, Wizards are being enslaved.

Yeah, I'd be cool with seeing Hogwarts at present time and following the children of Harry, Ron, etc. It'd be cool seeing Neville as a teacher as well.

The American Hogwarts, which Rowling has said exists, could also be interesting. But the Britishness of the novels is an essential component, so there'd always be the danger that she'd write the American version less authentically.

You make a great point about Hogwarts being a character. I think part of the reason Book 7 doesn't rank as high as 6 for me is because there's no time spent at Hogwarts (except for the battle). There are also a few other plotting and character issues in Book 7 which annoyed me, but those are more minor.

The Half-Blood Prince ended up as my favorite because it combined the domesticity of the earlier books with the darkness of the later books. It was also the most rooted in character as opposed to magic. We learned more about Tom Riddle, you see Harry and Dumbledore's relationship really develop, there's the two main romances, etc. Even Draco is humanized.

You could maybe even swap 7 and 5. I really liked 5 because I love to hate a character the way I hated Umbridge. And like book 6, I thought 5 was really grounded in character and smaller, more relatable events than many of the other books. I prefer the magic to be the backdrop to the human element.

I didn't really like the Half-Blood Prince movie. I thought they played too fast and loose with the book, and some of the stuff in it didn't make sense with the rules of the world that Rowling had created. Maybe I just like the book too much.

I watched about half the first Deathly Hallows movie last night and so far I think it's one of the best movies in the series. The only thing I didn't like was that when the seven Harry Potters are ambushed Hagrid and the real Harry end up in essentially a car chase on the highway. Breaks all kinds of secrecy laws (though I suppose you could argue that no one would care about that in that situation). Still, I thought it was cheesy and unnecessary.

Best casting in the series is obviously Alan Rickman as Snape. After that, I'd have to vote for the twins.

But I think the girl who plays Luna Lovegood is pretty perfect.

rome8180 said:
Best casting in the series is obviously Alan Rickman as Snape. After that, I'd have to vote for the twins.

But I think the girl who plays Luna Lovegood is pretty perfect.

Luna was Rowling's favorite. I'm fairly certain the story was she had written to JK about the novels helping her through some kind of extended hospital stay and when she recovered, she went to audition for the 5th movie and landed that role. I thought she was perfect.

The first Dumbledore was perfect, I was meh on the 2nd.

Topher said:
So, Harry Potter: average boy wizard or The Chosen One?

He definitely wasn't average. His Patronus pwnd too much for such a young wizard.

And the greatest line of the series is clearly

"it was unwise of you to come here tonight Tom, the Aurors are on their way"

Topher said:
The first Dumbledore was perfect, I was meh on the 2nd.

Harris was perfect. Gambon played him totally wrong. Remember in Goblet when Harry's name came out of the Goblet for the tourney and Dumbledore got all freaked out? Dumbledore NEVER freaked out. It was absurd.

My biggest problem right now is that I've exhausted all sources of Harry Potter and I still want there to be more.

rome8180 said:
My biggest problem right now is that I've exhausted all sources of Harry Potter and I still want there to be more.

I read all the books at least 3 times except the last one. I was too sad that it was all over to reread that one.

rome8180 said:

Have you picked up The Tales of Beedle the Bard?

KevinStrickland said:
None of you asshats pm'd me that this thread existed?????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You still come here?

Topher said:
rome8180 said:

Have you picked up The Tales of Beedle the Bard?

I didn't know this existed. I mean, I know about the book mentioned in The Deathly Hallows, but I didn't know it was a real thing.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom