Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Rome's Harry Potter Live Blog

Yeah, its a short little book but really, really cool. There's also Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Gleason was so much better as Joffrey though. Felton looked just bratty and pretty enough.

I think Gleason would have sucked as Draco. I thought Felton fit pretty well.

Game of Thrones is much better than Harry Potter. Both the books and what you see via movie/TV. GoT >> Harry Potter. Harry Potter was god, but GoT is on a different level.

Why do they need to be compared? They both exist and I enjoyed both (in book form anyway...I strongly dislike GoT the show).

Slap the Floor said:
Game of Thrones is much better than Harry Potter. Both the books and what you see via movie/TV. GoT >> Harry Potter. Harry Potter was god, but GoT is on a different level.

They're nothing alike. This is like saying steak is better than pizza.

Steak is better than pizza, though.

I guess the reason for comparing them would be that they are the two most popular fantasy series in recent history. But I still don't really see the point.

Then what's the point of comparing 2015 Duke to 2010 Duke, or 2001, or 1991-92? They all won titles, but we still compare them. Game of Thrones is like 1992 and GoT is in the Elite Eight. George RR Martin is getting very close to needing a buzzer beater.

Slap the Floor said:
Then what's the point of comparing 2015 Duke to 2010 Duke, or 2001, or 1991-92? They all won titles, but we still compare them. Game of Thrones is like 1992 and GoT is in the Elite Eight. George RR Martin is getting very close to needing a buzzer beater.
Except 2015 Duke, 2010 Duke, 2001 Duke, 1991 Duke, and 1992 Duke all have one major thing in common - THEY ARE ALL DUKE MEN'S BASKETBALL TEAMS. Athletes playing the same sport, for the same coach, at the same school.

The only similarity HP and GoT have is they take place in a fantasy world. No similar objectives, teams, etc.

Topher said:
rome8180 said:
I read the last 300 pages of book 6 last night. I find it hard to imagine that the final volume could be any better than that. But for right now my ranking of the books is a very boring 6,5,4,3,2,1.

Dumbledore's funeral was the best writing she's done. It's hard to imagine that it's even the same writer as the one who wrote Book 1.

Fucking Snape. I sense there is still something more going on that we don't know about. Maybe we'll learn the true reason that Dumbledore trusted him. I have some crazy, out-there theories about how Snape is still on the side of good. But realistically, it seems like he was what he seemed. I'm a little disappointed in that, since it's less interesting to my mind.

The one thing I disliked was that Harry broke up with Ginny to protect her. But he's fine with Ron and Hermione coming along with him? Granted, his relationship with Ron and Hermione is different, but they are still people he loves. Voldemort can still use that. And it's not like he put his feelings for Ginny on ice by breaking it off with her. I guess there are fewer outward manifestations of that love, but all in all it just seems like Rowling really doesn't want him to have a girlfriend.

I'm curious to what these are. I had a few on my first read and I wonder how similar they are.

I like seeing you come to the understanding of the greatness of this series. It was easy to write them off as nothing more than children's books but they truly were cathartic. The fictional dream is a fascinating concept to me as it echoes a lot of what I felt as the books were coming out.

Hey rome, any chance you could elaborate on what those theories were?

Mostly what was "crazy" about my theory was the idea that Snape was on the side of good at all. It really wasn't that fleshed out as a theory. I remember thinking that Dumbledore would have asked Snape to kill him, but it didn't have anything to do with the hand and the fact that he would die in a year. It was simply a way of convincing Voldemort once and for all that Snape was on his side and of motivating Harry to finish his quest/mission.

I also considered the possibility that Dumbledore wasn't really dead and Snape had cursed him to only "look" dead. Of course, that didn't make any sense with him actually saying the words of the killing curse. Another stupid thing I thought was that Snape might be Harry's real father. I still can't quite figure out how Lilly ended up with James -- at least the James that Snape remembers. I'd be interested to see something about that.

James was Head Boy in his final year at Hogwarts. He was a jerk when he was young, but he had his shit together by the time he was an upperclassman.

Yeah, I'm just curious about the transition. But I guess a lot of relationships (at least in literature and movies) start out with people disliking each other. So maybe not an interesting story after all.

Snape was just a little bitch. It annoys me how much people like him in the end.

Have you guys ever listened to the Potter books on tape? Or CD or whatever? The guy that does the reading is spectacular.

I don't normally do audiobooks because I'm such a visual processor.

But I want to check these out. I wonder if there's a way I can steal them.

11393002_10153608133661840_4498410754293805309_n.jpg

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom