Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Ryan Young

I agree that Baker should by all means be a better offensive option than Kale Chips. However, if one of them could possibly actually consistently stay in front of their defender at the 3/4, that may be the path to playing time.

Joey Baker is one of the worst rebounders I can remember playing for Duke. He seems to have no acumen for it. Even if he were actually 6’7”, I don’t think playing him at the 4 is a good idea unless it was a specific scenario of needing a 3.

*I originally posted “Joey is one of the worst rebounders I can rebounder” and that made me laugh

Last edited:
Joey Baker is one of the worst rebounders I can rebounder playing for Duke. He seems to have no acumen for it. Even if he were actually 6’7”, I don’t think playing him at the 4 is not a good idea unless it was a specific scenario of needing a 3.
I was thinking that same thing but then was like "maybe I'm misunderstanding." Roach sucks on the boards too. And if Keels happens to be that shooting guard Duke would be lucky to crack 50% DREB.

Baker isn't 6'4". I hate to pull the "I've seen him in person" thing, but I've seen him up close many times standing beside other players. His listed height is accurate. He's also pretty thicc. Hopefully we get another guard. I'd go Roach, guard, Whitehead, Baker, big man.

Also, if Mitchell is not viable at the 4 it means he's not viable at all, because there's no way in hell he's a 3. We've got bigger problems in that case.

I could have sworn I saw an actual measurement of him that was a little over 6'4 barefoot, which stuck with me because it was so small. Only one I see googling now though says 6'6 barefoot with a 8'7 standing reach, which isn't bad for a smallball 4, all else equal.

(Also, not sure if this was in response to something I can't see, but I didn't question Mitchell's viability at the 4, I questioned Flip's.)

Kale Salad had a 9.5% rebounding percentage in the Ivy League. I wouldn't expect him to be a good rebounder either. If you're going small, you're punting on rebounding in exchange for spacing. I'd go with the better floor spacer, though like Childress said defense may factor in here. I'm not going to comment on Kale Smoothie's defense yet, since you can't tell much from stats, but there's nothing to suggest it's particularly good.

Baker isn't 6'4". I hate to pull the "I've seen him in person" thing, but I've seen him up close many times standing beside other players. His listed height is accurate. He's also pretty thicc. Hopefully we get another guard. I'd go Roach, guard, Whitehead, Baker, big man.

Also, if Mitchell is not viable at the 4 it means he's not viable at all, because there's no way in hell he's a 3. We've got bigger problems in that case.

I could have sworn I saw an actual measurement of him that was a little over 6'4 barefoot, which stuck with me because it was so small. Only one I see googling now though says 6'6 barefoot with a 8'7 standing reach, which isn't bad for a smallball 4, all else equal.
Yeah, I shouldn't claim any certainty. I should have used the phrase "seems accurate." It's also very possible the other players I've seen him standing beside were shorter than their listed height too.

Joey Baker’s rebounding numbers are OReb - 2.2%, DReb - 8%, and TReb% - 5.2%! I’m willing to give up some rebounding for floor spacing like Duke would with Ryan Kelly, but Baker’s rebounding numbers are absolutely terrible. Catchings is OReb - 6%, DReb - 13.6% and TReb - 9.7%. That’s a big difference. Joey is 2% better from 3. Catchings’ career ORtg is better than Joey’s.

I don’t think either of them are good options at the 4, but from what I’ve seen of Joey, I would definitely expect Kale to hold up better as a 4 by default.

I see 9.5% for Kale Garden. You must be looking at a different site, but 0.2 is negligible so whatever. Not sure that 4% additional rebounding from one position in a piss-poor rebounding lineup that will play sparingly is going to make a huge difference. You're not winning with that lineup due to rebounding either way. Also, how much did Joey play the 4 versus Catchings last year? Joey was at the 3 a lot with two gigantic guys doing the rebounding.

Joey was 4% better from three last year (not 2%). I assume you are looking at career stats?

Beyond that, Joey did this all against much better competition. It's more likely that Kale Wrap's 3pt percentage or rebounding fall off against ACC comp than Joey's does.

Last edited:
This is more speculative, but I also think it's more likely that Joey improves under a new coach than Kale Soup does. I think a lot of his issues stem from K destroying his confidence, whereas I doubt Amaker is doing the same thing.

Anyway, we're probably arguing too much about guys who won't play much.

I think it’s offense for defense between worn Baker and Catchings

It will hopefully also be the case that if Flip isn't taking the spot minutes at the 4 when Mitchell is out, it's because the other team is going so small that Baker wouldn't necessarily even be at a size disadvantage. If Kyle is completely unplayable at the 4 against normal lineups, even for stretches, it'd mean he's more of a flop than even the sunny-eyed optimists here are predicting.

Ryan Young is a legit transfer. He's going to play meaningful minutes this season and really be a high quality big off the bench. He will also be invaluable in contributing to the development of Lively and Filipowski. I saw Young in the summer at Duke and he has a really nice 3pt stroke. His FT % over 3 years at Northwestern indicate to me that Duke may be able to utilize him in some pick & pop. He shot such a low volume while at Northwestern, maybe Duke never goes to this, but from what I saw it's at last worth trying.

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom