Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Ryan Young

Hope this isn’t a mirage against weak competition but his motor has been so good and he is feasting at second shot attempts around the basket that are dare I say fluid and non-mechanical

I've been really impressed with his defense too. That was the thing I thought would keep him off the floor. I assumed he'd be a disaster guarding the pick and roll.

I'm still pretty concerned with his vertical limitations against real teams that require help at the rim. Positioning and rotations can help offset that a bit, but it's not always going to be realistic to get into a perfect position, and it's also a lot harder to defend 2-on-1s when you fully commit to the driver like that.

But I guess we're an effective 3-big team now, so what the hell do I know about anything.

I think positioning and timing are far more important than leaping ability as long as you're tall. Ryan Kelly was a better rim protector than Mason Plumlee. Mason's vertical was probably 15 inches higher than Kelly's.

I realize I'm feeding into harmful anti-Pantone287 stereotypes here, but I'd say length is more important than any of the above. Young isn't long, and doesn't have any hops to help cover for that. He does have really good footwork when helping and rotating, but his timing hasn't been great when going for blocks (e.g. racking up fouls vs. Reeves at CTC). He's not going to have much of any margin for error against athletic teams, IMO.

I'm anxious to see whether Young will be able to harass Dick on Tuesday despite his limited length.

I realize I'm feeding into harmful anti-Pantone287 stereotypes here, but I'd say length is more important than any of the above. Young isn't long, and doesn't have any hops to help cover for that. He does have really good footwork when helping and rotating, but his timing hasn't been great when going for blocks (e.g. racking up fouls vs. Reeves at CTC). He's not going to have much of any margin for error against athletic teams, IMO.
Well, I'm feeding into rome8180 stereotypes.

I'll conced the timing thing, though I haven't noticed it being an issue. But I'd argue he's plenty long relative to average college players even if he's not long for his height. Also, blocks don't matter as much to me as simply being in position and putting your arms up. Maybe he won't be able to defend post-ups from 7-footers. But that doesn't constitute the vast majority of what you're asked to challenge at the rim. He should still be able to challenge the shot of a guard or a big with average size like Bacot.

Also, his girth and strength help a lot here too. No one is going bump him off his spot by barreling into him. Lively has greater length and hops to challenge shots, but I can see opposing bigs simply shoving him off his spot and opposing guards driving right into his chest.

My bigger worry is actually his foot speed. It looks fine now, but the speed of the teams we played pales in comparison to what we'll face eventually.

All in all, I feel bad for Lively though. Beating out a player with Rodman's rebounding, McHale's footwork, and Garnett's pick-and-roll defense won't be easy.

The offensive issues were most disappointing to me. I've obviously posted about why I think he'll create a weakness defensively, but I expected him to at least be a trustworthy/positive player on the other end who could come in and stabilize things if needed. A couple of those TOs were not what you want to see from a grad transfer.

The fact that Young often gets to play with four guards is probably helping matters there.

The fact that Young often gets to play with four guards is probably helping matters there.
That was the case for most of his playing time yesterday, but it isn't true for the season overall. He's played roughly 65% of his minutes this season with Flip on the court next to him, by my estimation.

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom