Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Wendell Carter Jr.

Sports writers are lazy as fuck. A lof of them probably still stuck on the narrative that "Duke is bad at defense".

This dude is one of the best defenders at Duke in the last 10 years, but my god is he an enormous mental midget.

I don't think a foot injury cased him to commit 3 boneheaded fouls. He was still elite during the minutes he did play

UNC will stick Kenny Williams on him and he still won't do shit in the paint. Just play 4 on 5 and leave him back at halfcourt to prevent UNC transition buckets.

I get I talked up Carter too much, but your vendetta is getting tiresome. He was unanimously voted the team's MVP by Rowe, Bunn, Watson, and Clark for a reason. Not saying any of those guys besides Bunn are great basketball minds, but there's like zero fucking leash coming from you.

We're not the only one to notice:

-Both high defensive IQ stalwarts with excellent instincts in the paint on that side of the ball, though Carter can actually stymie big physical centers, unlike Horford
-Both can hit from midrange and 3
-Both "fragile" in the post, though Carter is actually a good rebounder unlike Horford

I don't agree with KOC that he's underrated though, every mock i've seen him usually has him top 7 or 8.

Last edited:
I love Carter and he is a monster post defender and rebounder, but there is no denying that he plays soft down low on offense far too often given how large and powerful a man he is.

I love Carter and he is a monster post defender and rebounder, but there is no denying that he plays soft down low on offense far too often given how large and powerful a man he is.

The weird thing is he wasn't like that to start the year. But the last month or so he gets frustrated so easily by opponents he should, and sometimes then commits a frustration foul. We're not force feeding him though at least and I don't think any coaches have or will game plan for it, so it hasn't proven to be detrimental, yet. Still wild though, it's like some of his powers were siphoned off to Bolden in that span.

I should have went with something else besides "mental midget", but I do think the pendulum has swung too far in his favor and away from Bagley in terms of perception.

Last edited:
Horford’s rebounding percentages and block rate as a freshman were very similar to Carter’s. Still a decent chance Carter does not rebound well in the NBA, and is instead a soft, analytics-friendly glue guy who makes $30 million a year for 10 years.

Last 10 games have been a mixed bag offensively for Carter:

88% FT (37/42)
50% 3PT (6/12)
46% 2PT (34/74)

This is similar to Steph Curry’s rookie season, except Carter is a more accurate 3pt shooter in the smaller volume of looks he gets. Same automatic accuracy from the line. Same trouble finishing around the rim. Basically the same offensive players.

I get I talked up Carter too much, but your vendetta is getting tiresome. He was unanimously voted the team's MVP by Rowe, Bunn, Watson, and Clark for a reason. Not saying any of those guys besides Bunn are great basketball minds, but there's like zero fucking leash coming from you.
Who is this intended to?

Who is this intended to?

Obviously me. And it's fair, I am probably being too harsh on him, though a lot of it is reflexive now that he's gone from underrated to very very very slightly overrated (in comparison to the rest of the roster). Or at least, properly rated while Bagley was underrated until the last game or two. I personally place a huge amount of emphasis on being able to function as an offensive workhorse in the half-court, which is why I support Kyrie as well so much when NBA fans call him one dimensional.

Who is this intended to?

Obviously me. And it's fair, I am probably being too harsh on him, though a lot of it is reflexive now that he's gone from underrated to very slightly overrated. Or at least, properly rated while Bagley was underrated until the last game or two.

I don't think you've been overly negative. He's clearly this boards favorite and I think you, a couple others and myself have been the only ones to call out his play so it stands out imo.

It was blowing my mind that people on this board thought he was better than Bagley. Glad that finally ended.

ETA: Its not on Rome that he hyped him. We all probably underestimated him a bit and Rome was quick to point that out and proved he was.

Carter is significantly better than Bagley in BPM, slightly better than Bagley in net rating, and very slightly worse than Bagley in WS/40. If it’s blowing anyone’s mind that Carter is at least around the same value overall as Bagley, then we’re just talking about offense.

DurhamSon claiming Carter became overrated or properly rated, followed by CMon saying it's mind blowing that anyone could consider Carter to be on the same level of overall value as Bagley to Duke, shows why people like Rome still feel like they need to point out Carter's value to Duke.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom