Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Wendell Carter Jr.

Amoeba was a match up zone for the most part. If I was a college coach, not hamstrung by showcasing OAD's for the NBA, I would absolutely teach a match up zone.

If a zone is active, it should mimic the player movement of the offense anyway.

Saying 2-3 is just telling the players a defensive play, much like "pass it to Javin's shins" is telling Duval the offensive play call.

I don't think the Amoeba comparison is that left-field. That was a matchup 1-1-3, but hardly ever looked like a 1-1-3 once the other team initiated the offense and the top man dropped down, because of the man principles. In fact, it often looked kinda like a 2-3 with the corner men playing high.

The final score of that game was something like 110-103, if I recall.

Update: It was 112-105. Close enough.

Amoeba was a match up zone for the most part. If I was a college coach, not hamstrung by showcasing OAD's for the NBA, I would absolutely teach a match up zone.

If a zone is active, it should mimic the player movement of the offense anyway.

Saying 2-3 is just telling the players a defensive play, much like "pass it to Javin's shins" is telling Duval the offensive play call.
To be fair to Duval, Carter would have caught and scored on any of those passes.

To be critical of Duval, he should recognize that he is not passing to Carter. Part of a PG's job is to know his personnel.

I don't think the Amoeba comparison is that left-field. That was a matchup 1-1-3, but hardly ever looked like a 1-1-3 once the other team initiated the offense and the top man dropped down, because of the man principles. In fact, it often looked kinda like a 2-3 with the corner men playing high.

Several times against IouisviIie you'd see Duval pick up at the time Line and the rest of the defense was in a zone, once the baII crossed haIf court he'd drop back into a zone aIso! It was Iike a 1-1-3; then it morphed into a 4-1 across the fouI Line extended daring the Cards to penetrate those four guys! Which they never could do!

Several times against IouisviIie you'd see Duval pick up at the time Line and the rest of the defense was in a zone, once the baII crossed haIf court he'd drop back into a zone aIso! It was Iike a 1-1-3; then it morphed into a 4-1 across the fouI Line extended daring the Cards to penetrate those four guys! Which they never could do!

Hallmark of a matchup, make initial M2M contact.

They could play a 3-2 zone, and the wings drop down to cover the corner 3, but it leaves other problems if a team has a lot of shooters.

Duke resembles the oId Tarkanian amoeba defense at times, it even Looked Like a 4-1 zone; the further Duke extended it the further the Cardinals brought out their guards, which played right into Duke's hands!

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/AmoebaDefense.html
I wish Tark was around to see this FBI probe happening.
Poor Cleveland State

His FT% magically improved with the switch to zone. Have to wonder if fatigue from playing m2m all game influenced a lot of those misses.

He has been really good on FTs for a long time. Since about halfway through the season, starting with NC State, he has been 77%.

The best I can do to make him look even better is past 7 games, 86%.

If an NCAAT game comes down to him at the line, I would think of him as a true mid-70s FT shooter.

Assuming his work ethic and general outlook on life are top notch for an NBA player, I would assume he becomes something within the range of Karl Towns on offense and Al Horford on defense. 5-10 franchises are going to choose to go in a different direction with Carter available to them.

Carter is going to have a better pro career than Bagley.

This is like the Parker/Wiggins debate except we have both on our team.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom