Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

Arguably the biggest standout through the practices at the McDonald’s All-American festivities has been 6-foot-11 post player Marques Bolden. Bolden, who hasn’t decided where he will attend college, has been active. He’s rebounded in and out of his area, played physical when he’s needed to and contested shots. Offensively, Bolden has been efficient. He’s able to carve out good space inside and makes quick, aggressive moves on the block. Bolden has terrific hands and very good touch either hand inside.

Bolden really does sound like the perfect big man for Duke and any other team that has entered the Warriors era. As arguably the most impressive player in a very strong high school group relative to last year, I would be surprised if freshman Bolden is not much better than sophomore Jeter next season. I'm high on Jeter for next season, perhaps unreasonably high, but these reports on Bolden are as good as anyone could've hoped out of a player who does what he does (garbage man stuff).

I am now hoping that Bolden comes to Duke, personally.

Also, should be a great group of PGs next season, a talent infusion college basketball was desperate for after a season in which the uninspiring Kris Dunn was somehow head and shoulders above everyone else.

These are the other standouts, in more condensed form:

PG De'Aaron Fox (Kentucky)
PG Markelle Fultz (Washington)
PG Andrew Jones (Texas)
PG Kobi Simmons (Arizona)
SF Josh Jackson (uncommitted)
SF Jayson Tatum (Duke)
C Udoka Azubuike (Kansas)
C Zach Collins (Gonzaga)

Last edited by a moderator:
It would have been nice for Duke to actually land one of those PGs. Or maybe start recruiting one in the 2017 class. I know that is crazy talk.

Going from mp3/jeter to amile/giles/bolden is like moving from a crackhouse into a mansion

We need to kick someone to the curb to make room for Bolden. If we can't sign Bolden, because fucking Obi, Vrankovic, and White are eating up and wasting scholarships i'm going to be mother fucking furious.

Oh the indignity of having to suffer through a year with only 5th-year senior Amile Jefferson, #2 recruit Harry Giles, and top-15 sophomore Chase Jeter.

Truly rage-worthy.

Updates for everyone that missed the game - we are now:
1. Completely enamored with Bolden
2. Way too excited about Frank Jackson based on a hot shooting game (from a notoriously streaky shooter) and a dunk contest
3. Wondering if Tatum can work his way to being a contributor by his RS senior year

I think I wasn't playing very close attention near the end when Tatum loaded up on (what I assume were) uncontested transition points.

Folks have raised some points about how well all these pieces can fit together next year (example: possible spacing issues due to clogged interior), but I am drinking the kool aid on Tatum, I do not care what happened lastnight. He is such a superior offensive talent, and will create matchup problems galore. As an insider, I am ultra confident about this.

If we didn't have spacing problems in 2010 with Zoubek, Thomas, and the Plumlees, and Singler at the 3, we shouldn't have a problem with this group.

That team's offense wasn't based on penetration really. It was three-pointers and offensive rebounds. Grayson Allen is an excellent spot-up shooter, so that could work, but that seems like it would limit his talents.

The 2010 offense, while being #1 in the country that season, was the worst #1 offense since 2010, based on KenPom's adjusted efficiency. The only #1 offense that it comes close to is Michigan 2013 - the rest of the #1 offenses since 2010 have blown away Duke 2010. Even Duke's offense this year, in what can be considered a terrible year for Duke for overall talent (certainly in quantity, arguably in quality as well), was pretty close to the 2010 offense in adjusted efficiency.

Duke 2010 is a better example of why spacing does matter than why spacing doesn't matter. Spacing was a problem in 2010, given the raw amount of talent in that main lineup, with 3 NBA players to go with the most efficient point guard season and best offensive rebounding season for a center in Duke history. That kind of talent and production should be expected to do better than 120 offensive efficiency. The spacing just wasn't enough of a problem to outweigh everything else Duke 2010 did extremely well.

There are increments between "problem" and "no problem." Duke's offense with Tatum, Giles and Jefferson all on the court together, with guards who derive a lot of their effectiveness from penetration (Allen, Jackson, Kennard), will probably be suboptimal in several ways. However, 40% offensive rebounding and a much improved defense, assumed from having a better rim protecting and defensive rebounding lineup at all times next season, should outweigh the spacing issues. In an ideal world, though, you give 2010 Lance Thomas the ability to make 3s at PF, and I wouldn't be surprised if K's knockout lineup ends up being something like Jackson, Allen, Kennard, Tatum, Jefferson/Giles.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom