Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

That may all be true. However, it still makes the notion of a Knox-Carter-Bamba "front line" foolish and delusional. To my view it's either Bamba or Knox.

Slap the Floor said:
In regards to 2017, I would like to see us start with a 3 man foundation of: Wendell Carter Jr, Gary Trent Jr, and Mohammed Bamba. From there we need an additional 2-3 players. I think we need 2 more guards, and a wing player. Just looking at the list of players we have some level of interest in on TDD, I would feel comfortable with DJ Harvey. Outside of Trent Jr, we are targeting like zero other guards. I personally like Matt Coleman from Oak Hill.

I'm not sure if the Makai Mason rumor is true or not, but I would be down with him transferring to Duke. He is capable enough to play in the ACC and hold his own, and he would make for a nice bench piece/insurance option in 2017-2018.

I agree with every word of this, though I might like a PG like Quade Green over Matt Coleman.

rome8180 said:
That may all be true. However, it still makes the notion of a Knox-Carter-Bamba "front line" foolish and delusional. To my view it's either Bamba or Knox.

No doubt. I was just saying in the either/or situation, Knox/Carter is a potentially awesome pairing as Knox looks to bring something between Winslow and Giles to the 4.

It will be interesting to see how K manages - presumably - Jefferson/Giles/Bolden/Jeter. If he can get that to work, and obviously we all harbor deep concerns, I see no reason why Know/Carter/Bamba/Jeter would be any different. I actually think it would work better, since the latter four seem to have far more combined skill outside 5' from the basket.

I'm not sure Jeter will be here in 2017-2018 if we sign Carter and Bamba. I have zero credible information, but I can't see him wanting to come off of the bench again in his junior season. I'm sure Chase Jeter will be pretty good as a junior, too.

Yeah, at this point I'm on record as thinking he's a likely transfer. Top 15 recruits with his measurables don't want to wait until they are a senior to play more than 15-20 minutes.

Jeter should've gone to Kentucky if he wanted to be the next Marcus Lee. Duke isn't the place for those types who choose a school based on where they want to spend their next 3-4 years. Kentucky is.

rome8180 said:
Yeah, at this point I'm on record as thinking he's a likely transfer. Top 15 recruits with his measurables don't want to wait until they are a senior to play more than 15-20 minutes.

To be fair, I don't blame him at all. If he completes his sophomore season and continues to be a good teammate and work hard, he's done all he can do. If he keeps getting recruited over, he should transfer to help his career. I understand both sides. Duke wants the best talent possible, and Jeter wants a real opportunity.

Sure glad we're landing a second top 20 big man to compete over 10 minutes of playing time. That's really going to be the deciding factor in our title run and shouldn't cause any issues at all.

Well, if we're going to play big men, I would much rather them at least have the ability to score out of the post, than not (Plumlee3)

Giles and Amile can score, and they can do it in a much more efficient way than post-ups (though Amile can certainly post up).

And personally I didn't see anything wrong with Marshall's camping out on the baseline and scoring on wide open dunks. He only led the league in field goal percentage. It's not like our offense was the problem last year anyway. If you want to criticize Marshall criticize his rim protection and defensive awareness.

Is there any reason to think Bolden won't be an efficient player though? Just because he's skilled doesn't mean he's going to demand a bunch of isos.

I'm starting to think he's just a really underrated prospect. Athletic bigs with 9'4.5" reaches who also have skill/hands/touch and aren't raw, clumsy Biyombo types don't exactly grow on trees. Diamond Stone and Dakari Johnson were both in the 7-10 RSCI range, and Bolden seems like a significantly better prospect than either of them to me, based on measurements and skill set. The 7-10 range seems about right to me.

I mean, could he even be better than Okafor at the things we want from a big? He's significantly longer and more athletic, and seems to protect the rim and box out well. He doesn't have Okafor's overwhelming ass for post-ups, but I'm not sure how much that matters.

I feel like we're going to get to a point next season where Tatum is missing garbage fadeways, Giles is an unremarkable garbageman, Jackson is going 1-8 from 3 (if alive), and we're all thanking Jesus for perfect Bolden holding our team together by being the perfect college big man.

The more bolden interviews ive been reading these last few days, the less likely I think he's going to commit to duke. The last two interviews I've read, one after Jordan classic and one espnu signing day special, he sounds enameled by Kentucky. Practically gushing about how they develop talent and get kids to the NBA. His comments about duke are just ho-hum, "good", "great", and "solid". Makes me believe the reports that he's a UK lean and his parents are encouraging him to sign at duke.

Trinity10 said:
The more bolden interviews ive been reading these last few days, the less likely I think he's going to commit to duke. The last two interviews I've read, one after Jordan classic and one espnu signing day special, he sounds enameled by Kentucky. Practically gushing about how they develop talent and get kids to the NBA. His comments about duke are just ho-hum, "good", "great", and "solid". Makes me believe the reports that he's a UK lean and his parents are encouraging him to sign at duke.

If he was going to UK, he would have announced last night

Any Frank Jackson updates? Like, when and where will the visitation and services be held and is there a charity they'd like us to donate to in his name?

Trinity10 said:

You may be right. I'm going to trust the wisdom of Slater, though. He is incisive and sniffs things out like a canine. Molar than not, he's right. Bicuspid.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom